Help-Strange metallic sound

Ever since I had the discs and pads replaced I am geting a strange metallic vibration under hard acceleration, i think its coming from the rear but hard to tell

Anyone goy any ideas ?

Truck went into the main dealer here in Dubai for a service and I asked them to check it out

Suprise,Suprise they cannot find anything wrong

I know all LR's make lots of noises and it adds character, but this definately does not sound right

All suggestions welcome

Changing disks is a straightforward job, but you have to re-adjust the wheel bearings. Try rocking the wheels to check for play. They may have failed to lock the big nuts properly .... or failed to do up the bolts holding the disk on ... or failed to tighten the wheel nuts ...

But you can be sure that they greased the steering wheel B)

Just an update for those of you who are interested

Took the vehicle back to the main dealer and after a heated debate they looked at it again

They decided the noise was coming from the front diff and they will replace it under warranty, after getting approval from LR

They showed me the oil from the diff and it had very fine particals of metal, almost like powder.

What would cause this on such a newsish vehicle ?

Jason

Tried all the above and its still making the noise

LR dealer is at a loss, so its back to the drawing board, they cant decide what they what to change next

101 differant people have now driven it and the consensus is that the noise is coming from underneath, between where the cubby box sits and the bulkhead is

As its under warranty, I am going to get them to replace everything until it stops

Anyone got any ideas please ? Its driving me crazy

You certainly hear me coming along time before you see me

Jason

Now I know this might sound stupid, but I had a weird rattle/mettalic noise coming from centre/underneath as you describe.

It turned out the starter motor was loose, I only found out when it wouldn't restart and found the starter held by afew threads of the last bolt.

May be worth a look even though it seems daft. Does it happen when you brake and accelerate? or just hard acceleration?

Is the front prop binding? and have the UJ's been checked changed?

Now I know this might sound stupid, but I had a weird rattle/mettalic noise coming from centre/underneath as you describe.

It turned out the starter motor was loose, I only found out when it wouldn't restart and found the starter held by afew threads of the last bolt.

May be worth a look even though it seems daft. Does it happen when you brake and accelerate? or just hard acceleration?

Is the front prop binding? and have the UJ's been checked changed?

Ha! ha! Nothing is stupid when it comes to Land Rovers............ my starter nearly fell off as well...the 2 skinny thru bolts that hold it all together pulled free from the aluminum "nose" piece

Some of my favorite noises:

High pitch tinkling sound: Washers loose on ends of radius arms.

Loud clacking noise which sounds like tappets or main bearings: Engine fan pulley loose.

A noise like you describe: Spring clips on brake pads missing or weak. (These stop the pads rattling).

Si

After a long weekend in the sand finally managed to narrow down where the noise is coming from. Its coming from right at the fromt of the engine bay

Its got to be something to do with the fan pulleys I think, or bearing in the fan or ?????????

Once I finally manage to get it sorted I will let you know

• 2 weeks later...
After a long weekend in the sand finally managed to narrow down where the noise is coming from. Its coming from right at the fromt of the engine bay

Its got to be something to do with the fan pulleys I think, or bearing in the fan or ?????????

Once I finally manage to get it sorted I will let you know

I would just check that all the bolts on the belt pulleys are done up properly. Another option is if a belt is loose, it could be flapping around & hitting something else - look for wear on something close to the belt path.

Si

I would just check that all the bolts on the belt pulleys are done up properly. Another option is if a belt is loose, it could be flapping around & hitting something else - look for wear on something close to the belt path.

Si

I think Simon is on the right lines. Had same noise on RR, ended up being bearing on tension pulleys.

Cheers

Steve

I've told you before: it's the spring coils rattling against each other. Only happens under certain conditions of acceleration or cornering. It makes a nasty resonating clattering rattle that seems to come from everywhere at once.

Jack up the chassis to stretch the springs and temporarily wedge some thick rubber or leather between the coils at the top where they begin to come together. You might even see a rusty stain there. Then go for a drive.

It drove us mad for months until I spotted the rust stains and realised what was happening.

• 4 months later...

Its been along time but I have finally got to the bottom of the strange noise and thought I'd just give you an update, as so many people gave advice

I finally narrowed the noise down to the EGR valve and ordered a blanking kit replacement

Just fitted it, noise has gone and throttle response has improved no end

Cheers

Jason

I finally narrowed the noise down to the EGR valve and ordered a blanking kit replacement

You'll void your warranty fitting that!! :lol::lol::P Especially as it's been so useful ;);)

Glad you got it fixed, must have been driving you crazy.

Steve

We automatically disable the EGR on tdi's and TD5's without even telling the owner.

On TD5's we hand-make a blanking plate out of plate steel. We are considering getting some blanking plates laser-cut.

We have a whole collection of lovely EGR pipes in the workshop. Now if we could only figure out a use for them....

• 2 months later...

After removing the EGR set up the noise temporarily stopped for about a week and I thought I had solved the problem, but it returned, so must have been coincidence that it stopped

Could nt figure out what it was, and after visits to numerous garages decided I would have to live with the noise

Put the old girl in for a service 2 days and got a phone call that my engine mounts needed replacing, as they were shot, not cheap either from the stealership here in Dubai, just under 200gbp :o

Anyway picker her up last night and the noise has finally gone

Jason