Bit of advice required

Small son's white 110 has eaten yet another diff ................ this will be number 4 within the last 18 months :ph34r: ............ OK I know it's a "high maintenance" hobby :rolleyes: ......... but is this "fubar'd" or is it repairable ............. my gut instincts tell me we should just be looking for another yet diff ............... it's a 24 spline in a 300Tdi Defender

Thanks for any input guys.

DSCF3230.jpg

DSCF3231.jpg

DSCF3233.jpg

Oh ................ anyone got a 24 spline diff surplus to requirements ................ or even two, methinks we need to keep a spare in stock :lol:

CC

My first question would be what is he doing to it to break so many so often?

I am sure many of us have broken a diff or two in out lifetimes but four in eighteen months, sounds like something fishy is happening to me. Also I take it this is the front diff we are talking about as it should have a Salisbury on the rear and that looks like a normal Rover diff?

He isn't running vastly oversized tyres or dropping the clutch on tarmac to pull wheelspins is he? How are the CV joints and prop UJ's standing up?

Litch ............. it's a bit of a long story ........ :ph34r:

Perhaps I exaggerate slightly ................ :blink:

The 110 in question was bought by my son about 18 months or so ago on a limited budget, it was "cheap" by Defender standards but for obvious reasons, a quarter of a million miles and quite obviously a hard life, but ........... it was also a good leaning curve for him to be fair. We realised most mechanical parts would need to be replaced and thought over a year or two that would be fine, unfortunately the "White Witch" had other idea's and within 6 months we replaced the front diff followed by the engine, gearbox and transfer box, then the front axle and shortly after the rear axle ....... interspersed with the front prop, lots of bushes, steering box, radius arms, several wheel bearings and the obvious things like pads and a disc or two :huh: ................. all in all it would have probably been cheaper and certainly much easier to buy a lower mileage defender ........ but he's learnt a lot about mending land rovers so I do consider it worth while :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for the Salisbury axle ............. another long story :angry: ........... as his 110 does a lot of offroading and the Salisbury is like a plough we opted for a Wolf TD5 replacement, what turned up was a 90 rear axle, which we eventually fitted using a spacer for the rear prop and for 12 months it's been fine.

He's learnt a lot about driving off road over the past year and to be fair I think he was somewhat unlucky last weekend at Tong, he followed me up a small, but steep hill with a bit of a steep / rocky exit, he stalled just before getting over the top and then rolled back a few feet .............. followed by an "expensive" bang :ph34r: ........... the diff obviously

Anyway, this is purely for information and also so you can have a laugh at our leaning curve ................ and as always we're here to learn so please keep it coming :rolleyes:

Dave

I don't think the replacement rear axle on later vehicles is a normal Rover type however much it may look like it from the outside. I believe I am correct in saying the casing & internals are all uprated and it is at least as strong as the Salisbury it replaced.

Forget the ground clearence issues and get a Salisbury back on it straight away, they aren't weight rated for the 110 (your insurance company would have something to say if they found out) and as you have found out, the Rover axle is nothing like as strong.

I suffered with broken rear diffs & halfshafts (usually off-road) when I was running my SWB S111 V8 c/w 9.00x16's but after fitting a Salisbury (never standard on the SWB) I had years of trouble free motoring. They have been well proven over the years and while it is quite possible to break one, it is a lot less likely to happen than with a Rover axle. Yes they sit a little lower but I can't believe it is worth all the agro for 1-inch less clearance.

IIRC the current Td5 & XD/Wolf rear axle is a version of the 2nd gereration RR aka P38.

AFAIK It's made by Dana, if I'm not mistaken it's a 4 pin diff and is equally as strong as a Salisbury, but a little smaller, ARB do a locker for it as well.

Dave

My opinion.

keep the 300 tdi axle and replace the diff with an ARB diff.

As for the load rating issue where is the proof?

There is a 10mm? difference in the spring mounting point centers between 90 and 110 axles this is to compensate for the larger diameter springs that are fitted to 110 vehicles.

The 300 tdi half shafts are the same diamiter as salisbury shafts, the hubs are the same with the same bearings I believe.

The arb is 4 pin so will withstand far more abuse than a standard 90 one.

plus you get to have the chance of locking the rear axle with the addition of a compressor.

If you need to strengthen the dif even more then look into getting the diff "pegged"