What's your "Mean Time To Failure"?

ThreeSheds

I was just thinking that my RRC has been totally reliable for 3 years now :D Although since it hasn't turned a wheel I guess it depends if you measure miles or years as to whether it's 'MTTF' is good or bad. <_<:lol:

I once went to India in a 109: AlecsSeries.jpg

and we kept a log of all maintenance carried out. I don't have the log any more, but if you extract the actual repairs from the routine servicing, then since we did 9,200 miles and had 92 fixes then our MTTF was 100 miles :o

Since on driving days we were covering approximately 300 miles, that's three repairs per day...

So I was wondering - what's the best/worst mean time to failure (in terms of miles) of you people's Rover products?

TwoSheds

I was just thinking that my RRC has been totally reliable for 3 years now :D Although since it hasn't turned a wheel I guess it depends if you measure miles or years as to whether it's 'MTTF' is good or bad. <_<:lol:

I once went to India in a 109: AlecsSeries.jpg

and we kept a log of all maintenance carried out. I don't have the log any more, but if you extract the actual repairs from the routine servicing, then since we did 9,200 miles and had 92 fixes then our MTTF was 100 miles :o

Since on driving days we were covering approximately 300 miles, that's three repairs per day...

So I was wondering - what's the best/worst mean time to failure (in terms of miles) of you people's Rover products?

TwoSheds

How major were the repairs required on the 109? Were the failures immobilising in nature or merely odds and sods that required re tightening or adjusting ? Series LandRovers in particular almost always have some malady that requires attention. It's very difficult to keep on top of everything that goes wrong in normal day to day operation, but on extensive overland journeys in remote locations when one is totally dependant on the vehicles reliability, minor niggling faults that in normal circumstances can be ignored until a more convenient time, can develop into potentially major disasters, so we constantly fiddle, tinker and adjust.

I once covered all of 3,000 miles in 3 1/2 days in my series 2, A frame towing a series 1 without so much as waving a spanner or screwdriver near the series 2 . If that was my true MTTF I would consider that reasonably acceptable, but as the vehicle and myself grew older together we both required more regular TLC which has brought the MMTF down to around 400 miles or so. Thats for the LandRover. Me, I break down every couple of hundred yards these days :(

Bill.

How major were the repairs required on the 109? Were the failures immobilising in nature or merely odds and sods that required re tightening or adjusting ? Series LandRovers in particular almost always have some malady that requires attention. It's very difficult to keep on top of everything that goes wrong in normal day to day operation, but on extensive overland journeys in remote locations when one is totally dependant on the vehicles reliability, minor niggling faults that in normal circumstances can be ignored until a more convenient time, can develop into potentially major disasters, so we constantly fiddle, tinker and adjust.

I once covered all of 3,000 miles in 3 1/2 days in my series 2, A frame towing a series 1 without so much as waving a spanner or screwdriver near the series 2 . If that was my true MTTF I would consider that reasonably acceptable, but as the vehicle and myself grew older together we both required more regular TLC which has brought the MMTF down to around 400 miles or so. Thats for the LandRover. Me, I break down every couple of hundred yards these days :(

Bill.

Hmm I know the feeling... This morning while out on a run I could be heard calling things like "Can't I just have one run without pain please?" My own body's MTTF would be less than 10 minutes if you count something somewhere hurting... :(

As for the trip - well yes, the list did involve everything including normal maintenance so I suppose I was being a little unfair, but it also included things like:

Fractured brake pipe.

Hub steering arm (whatever it's called) studs snapped.

Three of four front propshaft bolts snapped.

Spring shackle nuts needed tightening almost daily.

Main leaf broke.

Hub caught fire and needed a full strip and re-assembly (hub brakes, an overloaded 109 with unbraked trailer and 'spirited' driving by a bunch of crazy kids down an alpine pass! It took four lads' bladders to put it out and Nicola was starting to get worried :lol: )

The vehicle did well though - considering it was a hack when we set out and it made it there and back. I bet it's still running now somewhere :)

One little incident - we were in central Afghanistan we spluttered out of fuel with 20 miles to the nearest civilisation so we kept the motor running (just) and put the 3 gallons of cooking paraffin in the tank. Guess what? It ran better on UK paraffin that it had been doing on Afghan 'petrol'! :lol: :lol:

TwoSheds

It's all about fault potential. The more perfect your landy is then the higher your fault potential and the more likely something will fail - it may be something catastrophic. However, if you keep the fault potential of your vehicle low enough by allowing lots of niggling minor faults, then the chances of an immobilising fault developing will be minimal. B)

Well in 100K I was always able to drive the Disco home, guess the worst was a PAS pipe failing.

90 has been flat bedded twice in 10 years, one a seized wheel bearing and the other a dropped cam belt.

And in all the years I was using the 2A only once when the (home modified) clutch linkage gave up did it need a flat bed.

To my mind they've been no worse that many of the other vehicles I've driven/owned over the years.

It's all about fault potential. The more perfect your landy is then the higher your fault potential and the more likely something will fail - it may be something catastrophic. However, if you keep the fault potential of your vehicle low enough by allowing lots of niggling minor faults, then the chances of an immobilising fault developing will be minimal. B)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Like static - keep discharging the low potential faults prevents a big one building up?

I like that idea :)

I remember a letter in the 101 club magazine some years ago.

A member had been planning a day out with the kids, but something broke, and he was either towed home, or returned home.

Trying to put a positive spin on it for the disappointed kids, he said

"Never mind, replacing that means there is one less thing to go wrong next time"

Son pipes up

"Yes Dad, but there is a lot of 101 left"

To my mind they've been no worse that many of the other vehicles I've driven/owned over the years.

Could you qualify that statement Trev by listing the other cars you've driven/owned ? Note that British or italian built cars don't count because they all have a low international rating where reliability is concerned. They are bought for their performance, luxury, prestige or quirkyness, but rarely to provide dependable transportation.

Bill

Hmm... The Range Rover only failed to get me home once (broken timing gear), the Discovery has never stranded me, but I've spent an enormously greater amount of my time fixing both of them than any other vehicle I've owned or driven regularly.

In 35 years of motoring I've been stranded 3 times, 1) 1946 1-1/2 litre Riley, broken halfshaft in the middle of London, 2) Ford Anglia 105E front wheelbearing and 3) Series IIa smashed diff. The AA took the Anglia home and as I was limping it to my garage the front end collapsed due to rust! AA Relay to the rescue in all cases.

Roadside repairs have included holding a B-post in place with washing line (Riley) and setting points with a piece of steel rod and a half-brick (Cortina).

G reg V8 discovery ordered 2 weeks after the launch in 89 took delivery march 90.

Its now done 108000 miles. exhaust tail pipe at 85000 new clutch slave cylinder at 87,000 air con pipe at 94000 , central locking has just stoped working, at 55000 tyres needed to be replaced but got a free set due wrangler recall.

Just bought a new set of Kumho. How does that compute MTTF.

Have always run land rover and BL/Rover , only ever had one duff one , 93 vogue, bought when 2 years old, had to have a new block, transfer gearbox, ecu, fuel pump , prop UJ s in the end wife wouldnt drive it , sold it mind you the next owner probably got a good buy as it was nearly new i replaced so much :D

Could you qualify that statement Trev by listing the other cars you've driven/owned ? Note that British or italian built cars don't count because they all have a low international rating where reliability is concerned. They are bought for their performance, luxury, prestige or quirkyness, but rarely to provide dependable transportation.

Bill

Izuzu Bighorn... think I got through two engines on that one. Crank damper fell off on the first occasion which scuppered the crank/engine and turbo oil seals or some such killed the second one.

Ford 1.8 .. horrible agricultural lump of an engine that left me stranded on a new years eve when it blew a head gasket

I guess its true to say that none of my other Ford hacks have left me stranded (even the one that caught fire). And TBH I've not owned much other than Ford, one triumph spitfire but as you say they don't count and I'm hoping you're wrong about italian cars :)