Steering Guard plate for the D-Lander

smo

Had some time so been working on the front steering guard plate for the D-Lander, it incorporates swivel recovery eyes, stainless fairlead for winch and a pair of X-Eng X-Lites, the whole thing is custom designed and will protect the front bumper, stearing bars and provide capacity for recovery and winching.

post-2053-1194969745_thumb.jpg

post-2053-1194969834_thumb.jpg

So, comments please before i send it off to be Water/plasma/laser cut!

Winch tray is already welded in, merely in design for positional purposes - its 6mm plate and incredibly strong, fully seam welded to chassis!

I dont rekon the lights are vunerable, they are over 4ft off the ground....this isnt a small vehicle and the guard plate wraps from the axle practually to the bonnet!

EDIT: updated the rear end for mounting the lights and stiffening it up...

post-2053-1194971957_thumb.jpg

still think those recovery eyes should be in line with the chassis

I'll have a look at it, the only problem is the plate at that level is angled, so any pull will exert much more force on the bottom edge than the top rather than a square pull???

Do you need the cheese grater holes for engine bay cooling? They will fill up with mud very nicely.....

If you don't need them I'd ditch them.

There is no other cooling intake without them, i hope they are high enough not to suffer toooooo badly!

Don't know if it will be used for challenges but if so then the recovery eyes as they are will shred plasma in seconds if you ever have to do a 90 degree pull (and you will have to do one one day). Better IMHO to go for some sort of built in loop lower down, possibly incorporated into a gusset on either side to add strength to the lower fold (if that makes sense?)

Personaly i would just beef up the steering rods but thats me.

i would favour the 'loops' over the 'eyes' and make them big enough to pass the whole winch hook through.

some kind of tube that you can point a hose down to wash all the carp off the back of the gaurd with could be quite cool

Is that a Solidworks drawing ?

If so is it possible to export the design into 2D, so you can give it to a laser cutter, or even just plot it out on paper ?

Andy

It is indeed a solidworks model, and yes i can export it into dxf format (most cutting firms take this i believe) or indeed plot any view/section/detail on paper in seconds :)

It is indeed a solidworks model, and yes i can export it into dxf format (most cutting firms take this i believe) or indeed plot any view/section/detail on paper in seconds :)

Sweet - I really must get to grips with it - 2D CAD I'm fine with, but 3D makes my head hurt !!

Sweet - I really must get to grips with it - 2D CAD I'm fine with, but 3D makes my head hurt !!

3D is very easy really, its just a mindset, you sketch in 2D, dont worry about dimensions etc. then when you have your basic shape, constrain and dimension it, then extrude, revolve etc to make it 3d, and continue from there.