Defender Rear Winch Mount

If you are going to mount a rear winch, do NOT mount in the far back as you will end up with the same problem as a frontmounted winch, that is if you don't winch in i a straight line (which is very seldom) then the wire/rope will end up in one side and you will have to rewind it. Mount the winch just behind the seats in the loadbed (I think it is called) and use a very narrow fairlead. The point is that if you want the wire to coil up nice and easy you should not have an angle greater than 3 degrees.

Lars

If you are going to mount a rear winch, do NOT mount in the far back as you will end up with the same problem as a frontmounted winch, that is if you don't winch in i a straight line (which is very seldom) then the wire/rope will end up in one side and you will have to rewind it. Mount the winch just behind the seats in the loadbed (I think it is called) and use a very narrow fairlead. The point is that if you want the wire to coil up nice and easy you should not have an angle greater than 3 degrees.

Lars

I agree with Lars.

Putting the winch central, perhaps behind the rear bulkhead helps with centre of gravity.

Its in a position where the driver can most likely reach it if needs be, you can disengage the gear so the winch monkey can run off with the rope and you can pop it back in while he is putting the strop around the tree.

The driver can easily see it and avoid bunching up or running out of rope when winching out/down hill.

You can also winch forward a little easier, might need a can opener for a hard top though.

It would be up out of the way and create less drag when in the mire, not so much mud to drag around.

One draw back is it takes up load space when competing.

fit it Tim!!!

Tim has the bit shown in black which is a removable fairlead holder, complete with pin and the bracket to go onto the rear cross member. bracket isint drilled.

Didnt you have a ali hawse with it as well? or keeping that?

• 3 weeks later...
not yet, got bigger problems now as the the clutch has gone, but its off the road for a month, so got to get cracking on my list of jobs, rear winch included! ;)

No good asking you of you fancy laning tomorrow then.

Dan wants to put a rear winch on his so we are thinking the place to put it and which mount to use.