Ground Anchors

vinyljunkie

X-Anchor lighter than most (all??) others on the market.

Are they any good though?

Sorry, they're a bit sold out at the moment. Chris is making another batch as we speak - so should be available again before Xmas.

If you are in a hurry, both Challenger 4x4 and David Bowyer stock them.

Si

Are they any good though?

Sorry, they're a bit sold out at the moment. Chris is making another batch as we speak - so should be available again before Xmas.

If you are in a hurry, both Challenger 4x4 and David Bowyer stock them.

Si

Yes they are light, strong and they are good.

Xmas 2009 or perhaps 2010 (you know Chris is really quick).

Were can i get a damn good Lightweight ground anchor from ?

or who in your opinion makes the best ground anchors ?

any help much apprieciated !!

Sorry to say this Simon :rolleyes: & i know i will get slatted for it.

I have a Scorpion fold up one .It has on many times been the only Anchor that worked & Is very small when folded up.

This is due to the blade being very large i think .But i have never tried a X-blade so i cant comment on that.

I have a Scorpion fold up one .It has on many times been the only Anchor that worked & Is very small when folded up.

This is due to the blade being very large i think .But i have never tried a X-blade so i cant comment on that.

It is a fair point that there is no one anchor which will work in every situation. The Scorpion (I presume the PRT?) does seem to work exceptionally well sometimes, when all else fails - but in many, I think more common situations - I couldn't get it to work at all! (I used to own one!).

Our anchor actually has the same area as the PRT, but is long & narrow rather than wide and short - figuring that this would help it penetrate the surface - but we've not tried it in anger up against a PRT in one of those situations where a PRT appears to be the only one that works!

We have tested it extensively using a Devon anchor as a benchmark - and it performed at least as well in all situations and better in one or two (such as ground riddled with roots).

Si

I've only had to use a ground anchor twice. I usualy get someone else to use it for me rather than my ability to not get stuck.

First time was in a JBS event, got stuck on a slippy slpoe and could get no traction. Got out the D4x4 anchor and tried several times but it wouldn't dig in. Compacted peat/mulchy/leafy ground. We did get it to work in the end but by hanging it in the 'V' of a tree :o .

Second time was whilst doing a JST event. I had purchased a PRT from Jim Marsden for not a lot of pennies so seemed rude not to. Anyway got it out in anger set it up and it ploughed a nice furrow. Rerigged and moved the pin 1 hole and it dug in straight away. Well pleased.

So in conclusion my testing isn't exhaustive but I can say that I prefer the PRT. Not easy to secure to the truck, doesn't look so bling and people assume that the Orange company are the only vendors :( . Just my tuppence worth but both were real world situations where I needed it to work or I would of been b*uggered.

It is a fair point that there is no one anchor which will work in every situation. The Scorpion (I presume the PRT?) does seem to work exceptionally well sometimes, when all else fails - but in many, I think more common situations - I couldn't get it to work at all! (I used to own one!).

Our anchor actually has the same area as the PRT, but is long & narrow rather than wide and short - figuring that this would help it penetrate the surface - but we've not tried it in anger up against a PRT in one of those situations where a PRT appears to be the only one that works!

We have tested it extensively using a Devon anchor as a benchmark - and it performed at least as well in all situations and better in one or two (such as ground riddled with roots).

Si

The other ground anchor i have used & it has NEVER failed but takes a while to set up is plates & pins !!

The bar far best anchor system i have ever see was in the US up a huge rock raveen with no anchor points only sand on a 200m strop to go around them was a

Hilti gun with rawl toggle fixings :o No very PC but funny as fcuk to watch .Plus the guy wouldnt leave the screw in anchors for the next Truck :angry:

The other ground anchor i have used & it has NEVER failed but takes a while to set up is plates & pins !!

The bar far best anchor system i have ever see was in the US up a huge rock raveen with no anchor points only sand on a 200m strop to go around them was a

Hilti gun with rawl toggle fixings :o No very PC but funny as fcuk to watch .Plus the guy wouldnt leave the screw in anchors for the next Truck :angry:

Not in the recovery situation but I have seen plate and pins fail. We had a 'crow's foot ' in. ie 4 plates in 2 legs of 2. Using it to tension an arial ropeway. When it gave way it was spectacular to see almost 3m cubed of soil fly through the air all held together by 1m long pins and huge big f*ck off plates.

Not in the recovery situation but I have seen plate and pins fail. We had a 'crow's foot ' in. ie 4 plates in 2 legs of 2. Using it to tension an arial ropeway. When it gave way it was spectacular to see almost 3m cubed of soil fly through the air all held together by 1m long pins and huge big f*ck off plates.

I have a tube and pin military ground anchor which is much the same idea. I can pull that and the Kittygripper out with the Milemarker even when they are chained together, if things have really "failed to proceed" though before the 8274 boys get all wound up I would not describe the resulting portion of extracted bog as flying through the air in any way :)

The tube and pin anchor is the best and strongest though, it holds better than a plough anchor in soft peaty ground and in hard ground it is nigh on immovable (either with the winch, or when you come to pull the pins out...). Hard work and weighs a ton but I rarely leave home without it even if I do use the Kitty for most easier pulls :)

Just looking at these, after having used ground anchors for the first time at the clubman challenge a few weeks ago and i came across these two videos

lancor - sand

lancor - mud

I'm finding it difficult to believe...

I'm going to be looking at a X anchor just because of the weight, hauling a 20kg lump up and down hills and with mud etc has made me think it is an important consideration.

I guess I could just lose about 20kgs myself as well which might help :)

Just looking at these, after having used ground anchors for the first time at the clubman challenge a few weeks ago and i came across these two videos

lancor - sand

lancor - mud

I'm finding it difficult to believe...

I'm going to be looking at a X anchor just because of the weight, hauling a 20kg lump up and down hills and with mud etc has made me think it is an important consideration.

I guess I could just lose about 20kgs myself as well which might help :)

Buy this and get a free 5l can of snake oil :D

Ground anchors are a very personal thing, i have many ground anchors and currently own 6 for my own use.

Most ground anchors are capable of recovery in most sitiations, however what is key to success with these items is more the driver and co driver.

I can teach the basics of winching in probably a day

Teach use, skill and deployment of ground anchors and there types ? probably more like a week :o

Pick the unit that suits your particular need and then pratice with it as much as possible.

I carry two anchors on my car, a plough type (blades and type are choice dependant on where i am going) but always take a small plate and 5 pins (Pin type again is personal preference and determined by conditions)

If Green laning i always carry a PRT which is the best light/medium use ground anchor available, but again that is personal choice. I have not used the new X eng unit but it looks very capable and i hope to try one soon.

Hope that helps a little

Good luck and happy hunting

Jim :)

not quite a ground anchour, but we used one of jims ''stump hooks'' at the baskervillie challenge , and was a bit sceptical at first but once we had used it once i was hooked ;) it worked so well , we used a ground anchour in a similar situation on the tay challenge and turned the blade inside out and bent the frame back

• 5 weeks later...