Tdi exhaust note / silencer replacement pipe?

HotRod

Has anyone managed to make their Tdi sounds any 'fruitier'?

Not expecting a V8 burble but I've seen silencer replacement pipes and wonder whether they improve the exhaust note. It is also claimed they improve power/economy - anyone tried one?

Regards

i removed the back box on my 300tdi initially (well a big rock at weardale did) and just fab`d a pipe to exit in the original position.

that made a slightly nicer noise, but not really much difference.

i then punctured the center box (another rock) and put a straight bit of pipe in its place.

i then removed the rear fab'd up pipe and replaced it with another straight bit which exits out back of the crossmember.

so all i have now is a none CAT downpipe, straight pipe to the rear axle, slight bend overthe rear axle and then a final bit of straight pipe to the rear Xmember.

no boxes, silencers or anything.

sounds good for a tractor engine. Not too loud, as the turbo muffles most of the noise and the pipe bore is the same as standard so there aint too much reverberations or 'barryboy boom'.

turbo seems to spin up quicker with the reduced back pressure and it sounds good on full boost.

next time i rip the exhaust off, i might go to a 3" pipe and see if that makes too much noise or if its still ok.

sound similar to mine, forgot to say mines straight through. no boxes or cat etc.

dont think theres an issue with mot's as its not very lowd on tickover and low rev's, im not sure about the exit point though as there could be a height issue, ill find out in Feb lol

Excusing my ignorance but do Tdi's come with a catalytic converters? Thought this was only for petrol motors?

Anyhow, doesn't it increase emissions for MOT test if you scrap it?

Making plans for side exit! Can U buy those trims rings or just cut one yourself from plate?

Excusing my ignorance but do Tdi's come with a catalytic converters? Thought this was only for petrol motors?

Anyhow, doesn't it increase emissions for MOT test if you scrap it?

Making plans for side exit! Can U buy those trims rings or just cut one yourself from plate?

The discovery's had a cat on the 300tdi but they are mostly particulate filters to stop some of the soot coming out the back

A catalytic converter is not a particulate filter, it is a device which changes the chemical composition of the exhaust gasses as they come into contact with it's surface. They do much the same job in a diesel as in a petrol, converting CO and NO2 into CO2, Oxygen and Nitrogen - I think! :)

On the MOT they do not test the noise level, it is down to the tester to determine if the noise level is appropriate for the vehicle type. Either way, they do not make much noise when not under load and there is no under load test on the MOT, just the revving test where they are looking for smoke density.

I had a 200Tdi 90 with the silencers removed and the exhaust exiting on the drivers side. It was dreadfully noisy and, while it sounded really cool at tickover and manoeuvring speeds, it was horrid at speed and under load and sounded like all the worst boy racer chavmobiles. I replaced the first two boxes in the (3 box) system. It did pass the MOT without so much as a raised eyebrow.

Chris

No call for a catalyst on a diesel engined car for the MOT

Sorry I should have been clearer, the catalytic converter can be junked as it risks restricting the free flow of gasses. You can buy a non-cat downpipe if yours currently has one fitted.

Chris

I have glow in the dark stickers and furry dice:)

I lost the racing gearnob tho :lol:

Infact i have a 'performance' air filter on the snorkle top too, 20bhp itself and 5bhp for being on show :D

The funy thing about it is it used to be on a 1.0micra which just went bwooap bwooap but on the tdi under boost it sort of wails :lol: you even get a sort of shruoop as you let off :rolleyes:

INNIT

:ph34r:

QUOTE "I removed the catalyst and the boxes then had an Oval center box fitted to avoid the crawler box

no boxes was embarrassing with the noise. No call for a catalyst on a diesel engined car for the MOT"

That sounds like a plan, time to reach for the welder