Where can I get 70mm sq winch battery cable from ?

general-confusion

If you read the other posts on the forum about winch wiring etc. The current carrying capacity isn't all about the insulation melting and things becoming glowy hot. You have to think about voltage drop and how efficient your winch will be at 9v or whatever it is?

I use 35mm2 welding cable on mine and when used in anger the pole insulators on the XP motor got hot and melted well before the the cables got any where near to being hot .

And perfomance wise I have used 60 mm2 on the same winch in the past and have not notced any drop in performance when going over to the 35mm2 welding cable .

Can of worms out , spilt and running riot :lol::lol:

If you read the other posts on the forum about winch wiring etc. The current carrying capacity isn't all about the insulation melting and things becoming glowy hot. You have to think about voltage drop and how efficient your winch will be at 9v or whatever it is?

Well after 6 years I must have been lucky :)

never had an issue on the front or rear

both used a bit now and then more leisure than anything else

post-5-1197930954_thumb.jpg

post-5-1197931012_thumb.jpg

Just as a note.

If you decide to use it...keep the welding cable away from excessive heat. The outer sheath is rubber and will eventually crack. I used it on my Discovery and noticed after 6 years it had cracked into smaller fragments. Luckily I also had it sleeved with a convaluted wrap. The inner copper wires were okay...just the rubber outer.

Decent quality cable has a PVC sheath which has better heat resistance...the only problem with the PVC stuff is that it's not as flexible as welding cable.

When I did my twin xp'd setup I wanted 70mm. I was going to use two albrights and it was a bit of a pain to fit the 70 in amongst all that wiring and route it to the right post on the albright so I just doubled up with 40mm, Ran a separate length for each motor from battery to albright and a separate earth from each motor back to batteries. It made routing of cables much easier and the 40mm is much more flexible for keeping it out of the way, The ends are much smaller giving more room between them at the albright end and it carries more than enough current (I suppose its the equiv' of running 80mm)

The Twin motor is awesome BTW, Single line pulls through anything and it doesn't even slow on stuff that would stall a single.

This was single line!

post-1274-1197964141_thumb.jpg

Les really I'd better get some more cable then :)

as it can snap the 11mm plasma unless I stop the winch I guess it is pulling enough

and it pulls/lifts my lardy 90 every where it needs to, I'm suspicious 70mmsq is the new Mach5

but I bow to people who know better,(where's Will when you need him)

In reality I think for what I use it for 35mmSq will suffice

if the generally suggested cabling for a 8274 is 35sqmm therefore running a single motor,

and this guy is running 2 motors!!! dont know if some people havent noticed that

the maths is quite easy. 2x35 is 70

im no authority on winch motors and cabling sizes but I personally dont see it being over the top.

When I did my twin xp'd setup I wanted 70mm. I was going to use two albrights and it was a bit of a pain to fit the 70 in amongst all that wiring and route it to the right post on the albright so I just doubled up with 40mm, Ran a separate length for each motor from battery to albright and a separate earth from each motor back to batteries. It made routing of cables much easier and the 40mm is much more flexible for keeping it out of the way, The ends are much smaller giving more room between them at the albright end and it carries more than enough current (I suppose its the equiv' of running 80mm)

The Twin motor is awesome BTW, Single line pulls through anything and it doesn't even slow on stuff that would stall a single.

This was single line!

post-1274-1197964141_thumb.jpg

Was that picture at Culmhead ??

Did you get the punch ??