O/T ? Re Laptops

white90

I'm thinking of getting one as a present for the good Mrs White90

but not sure of what to look out for as in processor etc

budget upto £600. advice greatly welcomed.

I've looked at Dell (but to late to order now)

so PC world etc.

she will use it for photo storage/internet via wireless etc

any good recommendations re brand etc?

I keep looking at Toughbooks but then that wouldn't be a present for her now would it :)

it really depends what you are going to be using it for, PCworld seem to have some good deals on thee is an advent i think for about 350 which you get a changeable cover for, i got that for the missus as apart from some word processing, music listening and surfing she willl play bingo online.

I got a Toshiba Equium a couple of years ago and have always thought Toshiba seemed to be among the best having owned/used a few over the years and never had any problems, not something I can say about cheap brands which I would avoid like the plague.

Mine was about £600 from Currys, who seemed to have a better selection (at that time - big superstore I went to in Sussex) than PC World or any of the other computer shops!

not a bad laptop, try and get brand name graphics though, ati or nvidia are the best ones. other than that - good value for the price.

the advent 7211 i got free with my broadband offer ( :) ) is cracking, 2.0 ghz cpu, 1024mb ram 100gb hard drive and ati graphics.

funny Ive just been out this afternoon and brought a new laptop a compaq presario f500 from currys think it was just under £300 on special saw the same one in pc world and it was another £50 more

seems ok for the money and it is a lot better than my old toshiba that expired last night after falling from the workbench in the garage while reading a pdf file, serves me right for not printing said page lol

they're a bit expensive though!

They also have a habit for getting hot enough to melt the solder on the ram chip holders, apparently. :s

My first Vaio I've had for 3 years, never had any issues - one of my mates keeps buying the cheap £300 jobbies, forever having problems.

I guess you pays your money and takes your choice..........

MAC

There is no alternative.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Make sure it comes with:

3 yr warranty

XP pro or vista home Premium or higher

A sensible manufaturer

A Good screen - You spend more time looking at this than anything else so make sure its crystal clear

Avoid Advent - fixed far to many of them

Sony - Nice but overpriced

Acer - Good and fairly bombproof

Toshiba - Very good but a bit bulky

MSI - Very impressed with the laptops from them, Sony spec with Advent pricing

NEC - Waste of time

Plenty of others

1gb Ram Minimum

If you buying from PC world they will always push the laptop they are about to finish selling or is and end of line product and if you can get a dual core (Intel Core2 Duo) proccessor go for that model over the higher numbered single cored chip

I have heard that staples sell good quality laptops + great aftersales - from somebody who knows - an option

I have a Toshiba 17" screen with numeric keyboard for work qood quality with vista business - if I brought again would get xp - is keeps trying to update its self every day + other annoying little things!

Only real problem is the outer case is craking up where it hinges will get theat sorted under warrenty

Steve

Buy the best you can afford Tony. More memory will make it faster than a fast processor when you are in the real world - I would suggest 2gig minimun. More HDD space will help future proof it, my laptop shipped with a 30GB HDD a few years ago. I have replaced it with an 80GB and even that is almost full so look for a large one - especially as you will be using it for photos. Avoid paying for features you might not use - built in TV, very big screen etc. Remember, a bigger screen will use the battery much faster.

Go to the shop at lunchtime and see which laptops feel hot to the touch. If they are hotter they are either not good at cooling themselves or they are using a lot of power and wasting it as heat. A cooler laptop is nicer to use in your lap - except on these cold winter nights - and will run faster as it is cooler. Jenny has a Mac and it is always cool to the touch - and you never hear the fan. I have a (admittedly older) Dell and it is always hot and the fan is always running - even after blowing the dust out.

Chris