O/T What trailer?

Paul64

Hi,

I have spent the weekend looking at the mountain of kit I have got to get to Transylvania in April. I was planning on getting a Sankey which would be useful on my tours. However, I am now thinking that a large standard road trailer would be of more use to move all my stuff. I could also use it for transporting building supplies for my house when there. The disadvantage would be that I could not use it off road. Any ideas on what trailers are robust enough for high miles and can carry heavy weights?

Also does anyone know of any mates or haulage companies that regularly drive to Romania?

Cheers,

Paul

I've got a German Stema 750kg trailer

Had it for about 6 years and its never put a foot wrong. I think you need a "proper" trailer when towing across Europe, homebuilts and ex-MOD may be illegal - but I'm not sure.

Hope it helps

Thanks for that. I take it from the link you are selling it? I think this would be too small for me. I think I will even need a double axle to carry what I need to take. As for legalities, several people do have ex-mod sankeys over here, but they do need to pass an annual inspection and be insured.

Cheers, Paul

Ifor Williams trailers are pretty good though they are not cheap. I have just ordered a twin axle GD85 (5ft x 8ft box) because the Sankey's days are getting numbered and I need a reliable trailer because it gets used to cart drums of fuel to the house now. The GD85 twin axle has a gross wt of 2700kg and the trailer weighs about 500kg empty, so the payload is over 2 tons - good if you also (like me) might want to cart bags of crushed rock etc from time to time. If you got one of the bigger ones (they do a 126 version) and got some loading ramps you could even use it to cart a vehicle around but I thought that was overkill and would have been a lot more expensive.

One thing worth bearing in mind is that a twin axle trailer is light years ahead of a single axle trailer on rough potholed or unsurfaced roads - I can say this with some authority because the last mile down to the house is 1st gear tickover with the Sankey on :) - having taken both the Sankey and a twin axle IW down the same road (as well as many other poor roads here) the twin axle arrangement removes most of the bounce you get from a lightly loaded single axle trailer like a Sankey, because only one of the wheels drops into any pothole at any given time.

Thanks for that. I take it from the link you are selling it? I think this would be too small for me. I think I will even need a double axle to carry what I need to take. As for legalities, several people do have ex-mod sankeys over here, but they do need to pass an annual inspection and be insured.

Cheers, Paul

Get an Ifor Williams, mine carts loads of stuff every week, 12ft x 5ft, twin axle with 1500kg payload. They are very well made, tough, tow beautifully and hold their second hand price. They are a favourite with the Pikies so get it tagged and locked, ever see a Pikie nick worthless junk....................................... :D

Ifor williams is the only way in my opinion. I have a double axle goods which is about 12+4 or similar and I have used it on a building site where the axle has got stuck in a trench when fully laden :o but the defender just kept pulling and it came out with no damage.

I'd buy another one tomorrow - but do make sure you lock them - they are apparently stolen all the time - if you can get to Witney car auctions in the UK, they sometimes have them as awards of court from the metropolitan police on their police auctions (they had two the week before christmas) - see www.woma.co.uk

Had it for about 6 years and its never put a foot wrong. I think you need a "proper" trailer when towing across Europe, homebuilts and ex-MOD may be illegal - but I'm not sure.

Ref the above,

I have towed a rapier trailer across europe for years and never had a problem with authorities, including being involved in a bad smash on the autobahn, with police involved etc, and the trailer was examined by the police but only to ensure the brakes, lights etc worked, so i dont see how any Sankey, military trailer is illegal as they are proffesionally manufactured.

Though i do agree the twin axle IW trailers are superb and tow extremely well, just if you get one insure it and take all security precautions or some thieving bas---d pikey will have it away

Regards

Keith

I agree with everyone else Ifor Williams is the only one, I have a 3.5 tonne 16ft four wheeler, carries everything I want and tows superbly, spares are easily got with a good knowledgeable dealer network. My farmer mate swears by them he has three in total a plant trailer, a 14ft flat and a stock trailer.

If you get one insure it as well as locking it up securely, it's not expensive and will soften the blow if someone nicks it !

Ifor Williams trailers are pretty good though they are not cheap. I have just ordered a twin axle GD85 (5ft x 8ft box) because the Sankey's days are getting numbered and I need a reliable trailer because it gets used to cart drums of fuel to the house now. The GD85 twin axle has a gross wt of 2700kg and the trailer weighs about 500kg empty, so the payload is over 2 tons - good if you also (like me) might want to cart bags of crushed rock etc from time to time. If you got one of the bigger ones (they do a 126 version) and got some loading ramps you could even use it to cart a vehicle around but I thought that was overkill and would have been a lot more expensive.

On a similar note, you cannot go wrong with an Ifor williams.

I own a GD105 (10foot by 5foot load area) Superb multipurpous bit of kit. I have the mesh side extensions on mine too, and will eventually have the tarpulin cover for my planned road trip to furnish a house in menorca.

Only problem i've had with it is the lock on the hitch has siezed, but no big drama really! Bought mine second hand of ebay, as has been said they hold their value well, so hopefully I wont loose much on it should i have to sell it.

Just really need to get a proper hitch lock for mine!

Not seen cheap insurance anywhere for trailers, i've been quoted up to £300, and when i'd need to spend £200 on extra locks it doesn't seem worth it.

On the subject of insurance, my trailer is added to my nas fully comp insurance with NFU. Only about £35 extra per year but they do insist that you have an accredited insurance wheel lock, mine is a Bulldog make and is high up the Thatcham anti-theft league. My trailer is also data tagged and when not in use is usually kept locked inside with Red Care alarm.

On the subject of insurance, my trailer is added to my nas fully comp insurance with NFU. Only about £35 extra per year but they do insist that you have an accredited insurance wheel lock, mine is a Bulldog make and is high up the Thatcham anti-theft league. My trailer is also data tagged and when not in use is usually kept locked inside with Red Care alarm.

Any chance of photos of any of these security devices? So do you mean you have one policy for your LR and trailer added to that or it's separate at £35?

I do like the look of these trailers, but I will need some pretty good security measures to keep this attached to my vehicle in some parts of RO!

Whilst I'd also agree that you can't go wrong with an Ifor, I have got a 16' Meredith and Eyre which I am really pleased with. www.meredithandeyre.co.uk

It is very similar to an Ifor. It is on rubber suspension instead of leaf springs (it rides softer when unladen), the sides and ramps are heavier and the ramps are much easier to get out. I've pulled mine thousands of miles with all sorts of weights on it and never had a problem. I picked mine up from the factory (it was cheaper that way) and they couldn't have been more helpful.

Gus

I meant to add - good luck with security. Mine is insured with the NFU. I have a motorcycle type security chain that I lock it to something solid like a shed or a tractor with. One day I found my generator welder had been unstrapped and tipped off the side, but the chain had stopped the thieving scum from taking the trailer. (The ironic thing is that the welder is worth much more than the trailer). My wife's Ifor horsebox, however, had a wheelclamp on it but still got stolen. I found the wheelclamp intact in the nettles; it was completely undamaged. I assume that it wasn't set tight enough and by letting the air out of the tyre they managed to get it over the rim. So in short I recomend a chain and padlock!

Gus

I meant to add - good luck with security. Mine is insured with the NFU. I have a motorcycle type security chain that I lock it to something solid like a shed or a tractor with. One day I found my generator welder had been unstrapped and tipped off the side, but the chain had stopped the thieving scum from taking the trailer. (The ironic thing is that the welder is worth much more than the trailer). My wife's Ifor horsebox, however, had a wheelclamp on it but still got stolen. I found the wheelclamp intact in the nettles; it was completely undamaged. I assume that it wasn't set tight enough and by letting the air out of the tyre they managed to get it over the rim. So in short I recomend a chain and padlock!

Gus

Good idea about the chain. However, the only thing solid where I will be are trees! Stumped springs to mind!

Any chance of photos of any of these security devices? So do you mean you have one policy for your LR and trailer added to that or it's separate at £35?

I do like the look of these trailers, but I will need some pretty good security measures to keep this attached to my vehicle in some parts of RO!

Instead of paying £170 per year for just the nas, I pay £205 per year for the nas and it's trailer. Covers me for the values of both bits of kit whether parked or towed together.

Instead of paying £170 per year for just the nas, I pay £205 per year for the nas and it's trailer. Covers me for the values of both bits of kit whether parked or towed together.

nas? Is that your LR. If so £205 for both vehicle and trailer fully comp? I use the wrong insurance company!

I'm another Ifor fan I had one for years before down sizing but very robust but also pikeys love them.

Ifor's and Brian James come in all shapes and sizes

keep it out of sight is the best security measure you can take the chap that bought mine lost it about a year ago to pikeys.

I tend to buy ex hire trailers as there not normally too bad condition I find.

I still have a small trailer the same as moglit's posted and my car trailer which is a German brand that I've been very happy with for the last four years

I'm another Ifor fan I had one for years before down sizing but very robust but also pikeys love them.

Ifor's and Brian James come in all shapes and sizes

keep it out of sight is the best security measure you can take the chap that bought mine lost it about a year ago to pikeys.

I tend to buy ex hire trailers as there not normally too bad condition I find.

I still have a small trailer the same as moglit's posted and my car trailer which is a German brand that I've been very happy with for the last four years

Had a look at the Brian James website too. Masses of info and similar price range to the Ifor. Are these on leaf springs?

The other issue is height of trailer to hitch to the back of my raised suspension. I suppose if I measure the height of ball from ground and give the company these specs they will advise on best trailer with double axle?

Where would you buy an ex-hire trailer - auctions?

Cheers, Paul

I have a sankey trailer for sale if you are interested. It is located in surrey. I used it little but a friend has taken it to Le Mans twice. It is in very good condition. In my opinion it is a no brainer, it is cheap, you can use the spare wheel of your landrover and they are built so tough, perfect for use offroad.

daan