Blower Motor

pinkbeef

Hi I just pulled the heater/blower motor from my 1991 disco, which has burnt out totally. is there anywhere i can purchase the motor only or will i need to purchase the whole heater/blower unit.

as a second though has anyone tried to fit a differant type of motor.

Edit To Post above;;;

I just found out the cost of a new motor, and LR are having a laugh :angry: .

Ok so here is the idea, replace the original cross flow blower with a standard type.

1.The cross flow blower used must not require any modification to the motor itself.

2.The electrics and any mounting brackets, must be available or easy enough to make and install even for the novice, with basic tools.

3.It must be able to be inserted and removed without removing the dash.

If anyone has or knows of a cross flow blower that would fit and work let me know. Or if you have any ideas, or could help. post here.

Not sure if it helps. When the fan on my Rayburn central heating boiler stopped working I tried to get a new part from Rayburn, only to learn they were £200. I checked over the fan and found who made it and checked their website. they had an identical fan on there but was missing 2 x 8mm mounting holes. I rang them and asked if they sold retail. No probs £40 + P&P.

Drilled the 2 holes and on it went. It even had the same serial number on it. So worth a scout about. I have a spare motor here but its on a truck and a few hours work to remove unfortunately.

Cheers

mark

Hi I just pulled the heater/blower motor from my 1991 disco, which has burnt out totally. is there anywhere i can purchase the motor only or will i need to purchase the whole heater/blower unit.

as a second though has anyone tried to fit a differant type of motor.

You could try Craddocks second hand dept!

Ivan

Drop Mark a pm - he broke a Disco 1 recently and had the complete unit going spare. He might have sold it, but it's worth an ask...

Don't tell him I sent you, though - he'll put the price up to cover my commission!!!! :lol:

If you have gone through the effort of removing the motor, I would have thought you wanted to fit a brand newie, not sure I'd want to be a month or two down the line and find it gone and have to strip it all down again :o

try this one from paddocks 54.95 + vat

disco 200 tdi heat blower

• 5 months later...

there s a bloke called chris i think on ebay who run ashop called fenlandrover he deliver by post he has quite a few scrapped discoverys i spent the day there and got load of stuff for my discovery1 he's very cheap for cash (everything a tenner) i'd give him a look up might have one realy helpfull guy and called me back when i left a note on an item i wasn't even bidding on :P

bought it , came to fitting and the damn box is near impossible to take apart :angry:

I got a motor/fan assy of eBay - really good condition for £40. I disagree with the above though, the box is not 'near impossible' to take apart - it IS impossible :o It says something like position this flap and slide the unit apart - I spent two hours trying this but there was always about 10mm interference between the flap and where it was supposed to slide. In the end I took 10mm off the flap (it doesn't significantly affect the performance). I still have NO IDEA how they are put together or subsequently taken apart...

On the job as a whole - I just thought it worth a mention for those contemplating doing it, that you will need small circlip pliers and a pop-rivet gun for the re-assembly and that it took me 6 hours to strip it out, 3 (should have been 1) hours to replace the motor and six hours to put it all together again. I hear that the 300tdi Disco heater unit is more easily removed, but with the 200tdi you have to remove the steering wheel, cowling, switchgear, gear lever, centre console, radio, fascia and in my case (to get more room) I also took the front seats out. I know I am not the fastest worker out there, but still, not a five minute job I think... :blink:

Roger

Oh and one more point - please don't think that putting the adjustable control rods back in their original positions will be ok - from the factory my unit was so badly adjusted that in some positions it was hardly blowing at all! After much trying and adjusting it is now nice and powerful on all settings :)

• 4 weeks later...

As above , i bought the fan , never got round to fitting it , its brand new with the wiring loom and made by bosch , i also have 2x new heater matrix and 2x controll switch setts , if anyone is in need just let me know