rear relocation woes...

simon red90

currently running gwyn lewis challenge suspension, which i'm really pleased with. up untill sunday i've never had a problem with the rear springs relocating. they hook up then slide back in. but now a few times the spring somehow comes off the end.

i'm thinking of changing to mount the springs solid on the spring hangars and having relocation "cones" on the axle.

any suggestions?

cheers. si

currently running gwyn lewis challenge suspension, which i'm really pleased with. up untill sunday i've never had a problem with the rear springs relocating. they hook up then slide back in. but now a few times the spring somehow comes off the end.

i'm thinking of changing to mount the springs solid on the spring hangars and having relocation "cones" on the axle.

any suggestions?

cheers. si

FWIW thats what I have now, tried your way had the same issues (albeit with Homemade kit) and found the axle mounted 100% OK

Nige

cheers. si

Hi Si,

The spring hasn't rotated on the seat has it?

this may have put the closed coils where the hook grabs it and cause it to miss?

Hi Si,

The spring hasn't rotated on the seat has it?

this may have put the closed coils where the hook grabs it and cause it to miss?

probably, the spring is not tight clamped down. but even if it has to be in a particular position, not so impressed.

I like the rest of Gwyn's kit, but not keen on the rear spring locators. In use, by hooking the spring they actually stop the axle articulating and defeat the object of putting on the rear shock mounts and longer shocks.

I would recommend X-Springs, they will maximise your articulation and solve you locations probs.

Cheers

Steve

I run Gwyns kit, and I havent had any issues with the springs relocating. I do know that the spring has to be in a certain position to be certain that the spring slides down the cone and catches on the hook. I dont run Gwyns OME springs I run I think 764's which are slightly softer, and arent progressive.

I kind of agree with the hook limiting travel to a certain extent, however judging by the compression on the opposite spring I cant see that it can go much further.

Rich.

post-3628-1199283970_thumb.jpg

I run Gwyns kit, and I havent had any issues with the springs relocating. I do know that the spring has to be in a certain position to be certain that the spring slides down the cone and catches on the hook. I dont run Gwyns OME springs I run I think 764's which are slightly softer, and arent progressive.

I kind of agree with the hook limiting travel to a certain extent, however judging by the compression on the opposite spring I cant see that it can go much further.

Rich.

how ever you are lacking a land rover eh will :P:P

i use reverse location, and find it much better than the conventional way si

dan

Must admit that since I swapped to reverse re-location it's all much easier and quieter - however if X-eng had been doing the x-spring back when I changed I would have gone dwon that route because when you compare Si's system with simple dislocation you can how much better it is

I'm another with 100% reliable home made bottom relocation cones and gwyn lweis ish rear suspension.

All it takes is a few short lengths of bar welded to the spring seats plus a couple of lengths of flat with a pair of holes through them and nuts/bolts to clamp the top of the spring.

I haven't studied the gwyn lewis setup too closely, but have seen one land rover with the full kit lose a rear spring when trying to reverse out of a gully.

I use the bottom ones on my home made setup, as you can se i am not lacking in travel and have never ever had any problems, with relocation.

18092007026.jpg

will.

But Will there is no load on the offside wheel, it will not give any traction.

The problem with dislocation is why the hell do it :o

I have the X spring set-up on the nas and although I am still playing, trying, testing and modding it is proving to be one hell of a good system and when the second spring emerges I have enough load for the wheel to grip :D

I'll get me coat now whilst you all grumble and get your slide rules out and your anoraks......................................

I have the X spring set-up on the nas and although I am still playing, trying, testing and modding it is proving to be one hell of a good system and when the second spring emerges I have enough load for the wheel to grip :D

I'll get me coat now whilst you all grumble and get your slide rules out and your anoraks......................................

Quite right to a point :P ,

you do get more grip, maybe not as much as with the x springs, however the motor is far more stable and doesnt bang and crash from one obstical to another.

If i could afford X-springs then i'd have them but i am a yorkshireman :) .

will.

Close but no cigar, you are forgetting about cohesive traction which in the basic sense has little to do with the load on the wheel*. In mud and on soft ground most of the traction is generated by the tyres is due to cohesion rather than friction. On had ground and sand it is a different matter though most of the off roading in the UK is mud plugging.

*some load is required to deform the tyre and create a contact patch

Longer softer springs would be better, though dislocating is better than non dislocating if using the same springs.