Defender's are like Marmite

This comment in particular shows his level of understanding...

It always makes me chuckle, when I see another convoy of Fast Show "let's off-road"-types churning noisily along the lane, to spot how many have deep-wading snorkel air-intakes to keep water out of the engine. How much more useful would a properly shutting door be?

I recall a certain green 90 that had a snorkle and good door seals, it was on it's side in the middle of Strata Florida river.

Sadly I agree with him, even as a fan of LR- the build qulaity is appallling :(

I loved this bit, never a truer word.....

But the most off-putting thing about the Defender in recent years has been its metamorphosis from no-nonsense if uncomfortable and unreliable farm workhorse to girlie-wirlie Chelsea tractor.

All sorts of bells and whistles have appeared: there's air-conditioning, electric windows, alarms - lost of electrical gadgets and gizmos which I would have thought, given Land Rovers reputation for reliability and the hostile environment in which Land Rover are meant to work, is a recipe for disaster.

And there are plush seats and fitted carpets - even more of a problem bearing in mind that Land Rover seem incapable of keeping rainwater out of their vehicles

Nige

unfortunately never a truer word spoken/written.

if i do over 30mph when its raining,the water goes down the door rubber and pours onto my right foot.

the passenger door has big panel gaps and gives the passenger a frozen left shoulder at over 50mph,

the condensation from the sunroof drips all over your lap and cubby box

the rear door is too narrow to fit most bulky things in

the lights and wipers are carp

the csw side windows rattle and leak, leading to mildew all over the runners

the ride is 'pitchy' in my 90, would prefer a longer wheelbase (but not a 110 and dont have time/money to build a 100" hybrid)

the build quality is terrible

but i love it. I would rather drive my 300tdi 90 than the wifes leather encrusted D2 any day of the week! And its brill offroad.

i would rather buy a eurobox than a jap 4x4 for more reasons than i could possibly list.

He seems to contradict himself: "it is basic and agricultural" and "the new one is not as simple as they used to be". You can't have it both ways.

Even though the new Defender is more complicated than the early ones, it addresses many of his complaints. It is also STILL mostly DIY-able.

We now run the 110 as our sole family car and don't regret it one bit. The top spec BMW that it replaced was very comfortable but every time anything went wrong you were looking at a grand.

i like like marmite on toast in the mornings

thats the thing with marmite open the jar spread on toast nice

but with a 2007 defender get up in the morning go out and get the train to work as its Broken again. as i look out on my drive which is empty again the toyota verso is the only car left and the wifes out in that :angry:

dan