100" hybrids and the SVA man...

Matt B

As far as guidelines are concerned the best thing to do is get an SVA build manual, from DVLA/ VOSA, cant link it at the moment due to work computer. That tells you the legal requirements.

Has anyone here got a checklist? You can buy the complete bible/manual for £50 I think, but I am not keen on this (a true dutchman....) and reading the whole thing.

Daan

Gelf,

SVA test is booked once you have completed the build, see the locl DVLA for an inspection, then they determine if in their opinion the build requires SVA.

As far as guidelines are concerned the best thing to do is get an SVA build manual, from DVLA/ VOSA, cant link it at the moment due to work computer. That tells you the legal requirements.

Sorry, I got my initials mixed up!

Possibly this linky?

Just had a look and its a mine field to the uninitiated (as I am). I am building a car using a Tomcat chassis/frame assembly (from a late disco 1), a brand new engine and rover axles for the SVA. Is the SVA Inspection manual worth buying at £37. I assume this is what an inspector would use so therefore it should be a good guide. Is it?

It should be the best guide, afterall, these guidelines are/ have been written by VOSA et al. However, building a 'kit' such as the Tomcat, should mean that the designer/ supplier has put it together to comply. Basically the manual is there to provide all the answers to how and what you need to comply with to build a car as an amatuer from scratch( amatuer being home builder). The kit magazines did used to do huge amounts on the whys/ wherefores etc a few years ago.

Alot of things are common sense, like putting in suitable seatbealt mounts, for example, spreader plates. Also being sensible and securing the battery properly ( Land Ranger example?), ensuring that you secure wiring, fuel lines brake pipes with the correct fixings, ie not zip ties.

Most 'problems' will be covered by common sense, its there to stop total death traps making it to the road, the classic, 'i feel like bodging this car together this weekend attitude'.

The biggest 'problem' i can see a Land Rover Hybrid having is passing the 'car' based regs, because i think that certain elements of a defenders design, pre date the regs, thats why the commercial approach seems to be the best route to follow. the defender gets around these regs by being 'evolved' rather than being new!

Thats why most new cars are roundy and organic in shape, nice to occupants and pedestrians etc.

Daan If you intend to or feel you might need to put your vehicle through the test then having the manual is a bit like having a copy of the highway code prior to taking the driving test,............... advisable!

Alan, the manual is NOT a definitive list of requirements and a great deal is left open to interpretation but there are some guides to requirements. It also gives a good indication as to which areas are looked at. It also gives the requirement for testing as a commercial vehicle which you MUST comply with or you will not stand a chance with a Land Rover based vehicle!

The SVA inspector is not a structural or mechanical engineer so if he feels anything is not up to the job he will ask for an engineers report. The level of report required is quite comprehensive ie not the kind of report you can fob an insurance company with, it will cost you money. Having said that anything we do when building a Land Rover based vehicle will usually be up to the job!

does anyone have any information in regards to qualification for commercial SVA? i have heard a number of "theories" but nothing soild. Does anyone haev anything from the horses mouth?

I have the 2004 SVA manual in PDF if anyone wants it- it's quite easy to understand and i "beleive" to be the current version unless anyone knows different. Let me know if anyone wants it, or can host it?

does anyone have any information in regards to qualification for commercial SVA? i have heard a number of "theories" but nothing soild. Does anyone haev anything from the horses mouth?

I have the 2004 SVA manual in PDF if anyone wants it- it's quite easy to understand and i "beleive" to be the current version unless anyone knows different. Let me know if anyone wants it, or can host it?

Les Brock and Landrover 598 are probably best placed to answer the commercial test on specifics, other than looking at the VOSA website and comparing the 'differences' between car and commercial, and examining the requirements, the manual is the best guide, as Paul Wightman has said, it is all open to interpretation, the 'authorities' will not 'instruct' what is correct for fear of law suits etc, thats my experience anyway.

Les Brock and Landrover 598 are probably best placed to answer the commercial test on specifics, other than looking at the VOSA website and comparing the 'differences' between car and commercial, and examining the requirements, the manual is the best guide, as Paul Wightman has said, it is all open to interpretation, the 'authorities' will not 'instruct' what is correct for fear of law suits etc, thats my experience anyway.

The manual is quite clear as to what is tested for SVa and commercial SVA, however falls down quite strongly when trying to work out what counts as a commercial vehicle!

Really want to be able to "instruct" the authorities, so i need to know the ins and outs better than they do.

From my own perspective, i did a pickup, on the basis it has 2 seats and is commercial, also from talking to others in shires prior to mine being registered, the general consensus from those that did an sva and those like miketomcat and dlander who had VIC's like me was that a pickup was the 'safest' choice.

Yep, agree with the above.

Ok, so i am in the 'minority' with regards SVA, but i built my truck expecting to have to do the SVA, and built it accordingly with that in mind, i looked up the regs on VOSA/ DVLA etc, and built the hybrid with the commercial test in mind.

I did not decide if the truck was SVA'd or not, that was the choice of my local DVLA inspector, when i asked point blank if i needed to do anything else , like SVA after his inspection, he said nope, we will just amend the V5. However i could do the same build again and have do SVA, but thats one of the 'hurdles' that has to be crossed, and i will accept what ever i am told.

At the end of the day doing SVA is a one off test before registration/ re- registration, and if you build it to the guidelines you are going the correct way. Its little different to complaining that you have to pass an MOT. We all accept that as a requirement to get another years use out of our trucks, and if you complain about MOT's then you are a fool.

As i have said before, i have done one SVA test on my Lotus 7, and i found that the inspectors were helpful, if a little cautious with advising what was correct, but they helped me out, and on the first day of my test, they pointed out the failings on my car, and 'suggested' that i copy the Caterham that was also there and passed, pointing out that it had passed. if you go into them with the wrong attitude i think that they will make life difficult, but so far my experiences of SVA men and DVLA inspectors has been positive.

Well said.THis was my point,building the car to SVA standards mot modifying a car and gtting a MOT

From my own perspective, i did a pickup, on the basis it has 2 seats and is commercial, also from talking to others in shires prior to mine being registered, the general consensus from those that did an sva and those like miketomcat and dlander who had VIC's like me was that a pickup was the 'safest' choice.

Would I get away with classing a Tomcat as a pickup if it had a tray back? I could miss the rear cage struts until it has passed.

sva_manual_draft.pdf

This is the draft copy of the SVA manual from 2004. Plenty of work if you are building a kit car, note lots of exemptions for commercial (800kb), the key areas which apply to a commercial are chassis, steering, braking and electrical wiring. If you couldn't get this right in a weekend or two then you really haven't got the skills to do the modifications anyway.

Daan If you intend to or feel you might need to put your vehicle through the test then having the manual is a bit like having a copy of the highway code prior to taking the driving test,............... advisable!

True, thats why I am trying to get one! I suppose the 2004 version is a start.

Daan

I did not decide if the truck was SVA'd or not, that was the choice of my local DVLA inspector, when i asked point blank if i needed to do anything else , like SVA after his inspection, he said nope, we will just amend the V5. However i could do the same build again and have do SVA, but thats one of the 'hurdles' that has to be crossed, and i will accept what ever i am told.

Do you know why they decided you didn't need one? It seems to be a bit of a lottery.

I'd agree that the best bet is to contact the DVLA etc and discuss it with them - if you can get something in writing.

When I bought mine from Mark90 I spoke to the DVLA to get their view on it to avoid problems later on.

They were very helpful and said that the SVA was aimed at 'cut and shut' jobs plus badly shortened Rang Rover chassis conversions. Purpose built coiled chassis like mine were classed as original 88" Series II chassis (sold as such) but due to the fact that they were not totally original due to the change in suspension mount could be (and I believe in the regs are) viewed as needing an SVA.

Mine was built in the early / mid 90s and therefore before the rule changes - luckily the DVLA had the changes registered with them at the time and confirmed it was classed as a modified 1964 V8 SIIA which was handy.

If in doubt - talk to them and go for the SVA.

Has this been posted yet?

SVA PETITION

brought about by this "Stumpy"

Seen this before - looking at the guys website the truck was signwritten up advertising a business and my guess is the authorities viewed it as a 'company' build rather than a private individual hence all the grief and why they wanted photo proof of amatuer build rather than a commercial build

Just my view having read through the guidance