100" hybrids and the SVA man...

Matt B

Matt,

Don't take it to heart, I get pizzed off telling people IMHO there's will need a SVA, as its not that much different to mine, and them saying no it don't there mate up the pub said it don't as its MOT'd and Insured...and boy did I try and get out of it

Ostritch and sand come to mind

incidently mine was built back in 1999 and had to be SVA'd last year, so when it was done makes no difference in some cases ! although I think it was 1998 it came in...proving its been like that since then is another story

No I get Mildly miffed off at being made to feel like I am taking peoples precious time asking silly questions. To be frank I thought you had a bit of a problem. Having taken the advice of some of the people with their thumbs up their arses and contacted the right people I am quite at peace with the world - thanks for asking.

You do have a bit of a problem don't you!

My post, if you care to get a grown-up to read it to you, is in no way aimed at you!

You have obviously done your research including a search on this forum and found there is no definitive answer, in fact there are a lot of conflicting replies. Your man has obviously given you a satisfactory answer with which you are happy. My concern is for the advice being given, not the question being asked.

Now pick Teddy up and say sorry.

You do have a bit of a problem don't you!

My post, if you care to get a grown-up to read it to you, is in no way aimed at you!

You have obviously done your research including a search on this forum and found there is no definitive answer, in fact there are a lot of conflicting replies. Your man has obviously given you a satisfactory answer with which you are happy. My concern is for the advice being given, not the question being asked.

Now pick Teddy up and say sorry.

Sorry Paul.

I did edit my post after I read it back for that very reason.

People seem very very scared of getting an SVA done, but i don't think they should. Most landrovers would seem to be able to go through as commercial vehicles (if not agricultural spec if you aren't planning on driving it far- it would make it very cheap to tax/insure). There does seem a need to clarify exactly what you need to do to make sure your vehicle is counted as commercial, information which i am currently seeking.

mine will be getting SVA'd no matter what (if SVA is still around at that time :D ). It's just not worth the worry of having an accident and then wondering if you are going to get knecapped by the local courts.

one piece of heresay and rumour that is currently making the rounds is that the regs are going to get a lot tighter in 2009 and so it is worth getting the vehicle done in 2008 if you at all can. Source sounded beleivable when i read it (on pistonheads i think) so it could be something to bear in mind!

It's luck of the draw i think, Fruity's and my 100" hybrid needed SVA, and yet Corrode Finger's didn't.

but you had chopped a huge big chunk out of the centre of the chassis so it wasn't unreasonable to consider that they might like to check it wasn't going to fold in half the first time it saw Seven sisters :D

but you had chopped a huge big chunk out of the centre of the chassis so it wasn't unreasonable to consider that they might like to check it wasn't going to fold in half the first time it saw Seven sisters :D

I didn't, mine's a stock 100" chassis with different outriggers and x member, Fruity was cut in half.

A huge number of cars are crushed every year by the police. I saw somewhere that West Midand police crushed 17,000 vehicles in one year. Most of these were no tax, insurance etc but in that total there were a significant number of ringers and cut and shuts.

I am sure the police would have no qualms crushing your modified pride and joy should they happen to random check it or if you are involved in an accident - even if you had sunk £20k into it at Scrapiron/devon 4x4 etc.

The landranger case might easily be regarded as a test case - I know plenty of policemen who read LRO, will they start to view bob-tailed range rovers/disco's as fair game? Probably yes.

I disagree that this is an example of nanny state gone mad, surely it is in all our interests (as motorists) that any radically modified vehicles undergo a simple test to ensure their roadworthiness. After all many countries (Germany, Belgium etc) don't allow mods to vehicles at all.

Has anybody read practical performance car recently - a rusty rover SDI with a 27litre tank engine, turbo charged silver shadow! I can't comment on those vehicle's build standard but joe public will have a go and probably create a death trap which wouldn't need any kind of test at all, I for one would not like to meet one of these coming the other way on a wet slippery road.

Add to that an SVA test does prove beyond doubt that your modded land rover is roadworthy, useful if you have been in an accident, if godforbid a fatal accident - it will keep you out of prison.

Get the test!

If in doubt ask -------- VOSA & DVLA they enforce the rules if they don't know nobody will.

problem is that quite often the local inspectors/offices don't have consensus

it is quite common in the Cobra world to cherry pick SVA centres to get an "easy" one.

it is quite common in the Cobra world to cherry pick SVA centres to get an "easy" one.

Yep, agree with the above.

Ok, so i am in the 'minority' with regards SVA, but i built my truck expecting to have to do the SVA, and built it accordingly with that in mind, i looked up the regs on VOSA/ DVLA etc, and built the hybrid with the commercial test in mind.

I did not decide if the truck was SVA'd or not, that was the choice of my local DVLA inspector, when i asked point blank if i needed to do anything else , like SVA after his inspection, he said nope, we will just amend the V5. However i could do the same build again and have do SVA, but thats one of the 'hurdles' that has to be crossed, and i will accept what ever i am told.

At the end of the day doing SVA is a one off test before registration/ re- registration, and if you build it to the guidelines you are going the correct way. Its little different to complaining that you have to pass an MOT. We all accept that as a requirement to get another years use out of our trucks, and if you complain about MOT's then you are a fool.

As i have said before, i have done one SVA test on my Lotus 7, and i found that the inspectors were helpful, if a little cautious with advising what was correct, but they helped me out, and on the first day of my test, they pointed out the failings on my car, and 'suggested' that i copy the Caterham that was also there and passed, pointing out that it had passed. if you go into them with the wrong attitude i think that they will make life difficult, but so far my experiences of SVA men and DVLA inspectors has been positive.

It's a little stricter here as all modifications have to be certified by manufacturer or independant testing TUV etc.

And then they are inspected (the paperwork) by the 'Biltilsynet'.

It is possible to modify your vehicle here, but you have to be open and cooperative and preferably involve

the test centres from the start with a written application, stating your rebuild/ modification plans.

Like you say, if you are honest and open you generally get help and advice.

If you want to be a redneck, they will most likely put up all the hoops and make you jump them as well.

Which is why you should go down to your local VOSA centre and talk to the cheif inspector. I'll be going down with a list a mile long to discuss any pit falls I see and to ensure when mine goes down it goes through without a hitch. For a while I didn't know whether I'd worry about going down this route given the number of road miles it'll do but, after looking at the regs, it's just not worth taking the risk!

say you have a SVA test, do they call you back every so often....... building a 110 trayback at the moment and want to move the rear crossmember back 18", so do i try and just do it or contact the powers that be.

my local MOT station i use have no problems with testing my build once finished.

Gelf,

SVA test is booked once you have completed the build, see the locl DVLA for an inspection, then they determine if in their opinion the build requires SVA.

As far as guidelines are concerned the best thing to do is get an SVA build manual, from DVLA/ VOSA, cant link it at the moment due to work computer. That tells you the legal requirements.