transmission length

v8bobber

hi all,

I'm not far off starting my 80" tdi trialling project. I've going to use a 200tdi and get a defender gearbox and transfer box to go with it.

Does anyone know the overall length of the Tdi / LT77 and LT230 combination? Or of any other short combinations that will fit into the 80". I want to keep it diesel and manual if possible.

Cheers!

Dave

hi all,

I'm not far off starting my 80" tdi trialling project. I've going to use a 200tdi and get a defender gearbox and transfer box to go with it.

Does anyone know the overall length of the Tdi / LT77 and LT230 combination? Or of any other short combinations that will fit into the 80". I want to keep it diesel and manual if possible.

Cheers!

Dave

The following is an observation from another vehicle, wait for a grown up to answer.................................

If your going to use the LT77, then i think you will have a very forward engine location to allow for any rear prop length.

The other vehicle in question was a 300tdi using a series gear and xfer box, that combo with a sensible engine position only had a rear prop of 12".

The achilies heel was reverse gear in the series box, it saw a good few of those out!

Best picture I could find showing engine position - sorry - pm DirtyDiesel for the full break down, hes been there done that on this project.

shottle1003003.jpg

cheers for that both,

I had an 80 before that was made with a v8 and a range rover 4 speed box, but the propshaft was only about 12inches longer. My concern is that with such a short propshaft the travel on the rear axle is going to be limited.

I can see me going the V8 route at this rate but i do want to have a diesel if possible but not if it's not going to do the business. Does the series box take a fair bit of length off it then? at least with a series box on it they are cheap and i've got a couple!

I searched at great length through the Land Rover workshop manual but could not find any dimensions for the transmission but i have a chassis drawn to scale (i'm a bit sad like that) to do some mock ups for transmissions.

Malcolm Whitbread reckoned that with a short box we could get a 20inch+shaft. Moving the engine forward is not going to be a problem if I need to.

great pic by the way

Regards,

Dave

Dont know tdi/lt77/lt230 length off hand,can measure tomorrow - I have 300/lt77/lt230 in my 88.

I know that isuzu2.8/lt77/lt230 fits in an 80",a friend of mine has that setup.

Cheers,

I was under the impression that the 200tdi didn't fit onto the LT77 though, only the r380 (reverse opp fifth?). That would be of some use though, as it can't be far out you reckon? starting to get a headache now!

Cheers pal

I was under the impression that the 200tdi didn't fit onto the LT77 though, only the r380 (reverse opp fifth?). That would be of some use though, as it can't be far out you reckon? starting to get a headache now!

You can bolt a 300Tdi where a 200 was and visa-versa, a group from the ShireLRC did a Land Rover factory engine & gearbox course and actually tried it in the workshop there when the LR tech didn't know the answer :lol:

You can bolt a 300Tdi where a 200 was and visa-versa, a group from the ShireLRC did a Land Rover factory engine & gearbox course and actually tried it in the workshop there when the LR tech didn't know the answer :lol:

In that case - Jericho - if you could measure those things up then YES PLEASE!

I am assuming that the engine mountings and stuff must be in the same place then - ho hum!

Will be nice to get some measurements and see if this bugger will actually go together

Evenin'

Dave

My 88 Hybrid has a 300 and R380, and its sat about 6 inch's back from standard, and is pretty well balanced.

A mate has a 300 in an 86, and its pretty much standard located, he has trouble with when cresting a climb, the weight of the engine pulls you over the crest at great speed. Not good when you may have staggered gates over a crest....

A nice motor seen recently, is a 80 coiler with a 2.2TC and Series box, nice and revvy, although i believe parts are becoming rare these days.

I can measure a 300 and R380 if it helps.

You may want to consider sticking the Rad in the back, help balance / weight distribution for an 80.

Hope that helps.

BTW an unfinished 80 is on Ebay at the moment.

Oz

or just build one of these...

http://forum.difflock.com/viewtopic.php?t=14499

This is one hell of a machine. By the look of it though i stand absolutely no chance of getting into it unfortunately :(

Looking at the pics on the other forum theres a guy smaller than me getting stuck in it. At 6'2" and 17 stone i think this may well be too small. Unless I build a similar thing using range rover axles and bits. Don't know what engine would do this biz tho

Dave

My 88 Hybrid has a 300 and R380, and its sat about 6 inch's back from standard, and is pretty well balanced.

A mate has a 300 in an 86, and its pretty much standard located, he has trouble with when cresting a climb, the weight of the engine pulls you over the crest at great speed. Not good when you may have staggered gates over a crest....

A nice motor seen recently, is a 80 coiler with a 2.2TC and Series box, nice and revvy, although i believe parts are becoming rare these days.

I can measure a 300 and R380 if it helps.

You may want to consider sticking the Rad in the back, help balance / weight distribution for an 80.

Hope that helps.

BTW an unfinished 80 is on Ebay at the moment.

Oz

Thanks, an accurate measurement of the overall and individual lengths of the units would be great. Would really help me alot, but don't got rolling around on the floor on my behalf!

I've seen the 80" on ebay but wondered if the cage looked a bit low for me?!

Regards

Dave

Ok,just been rolling around on a wet road for your benefit.

From front of crank pulley to rear face of handbrake drum = 1510mm +/- 5mm (300/lt77/lt230)

The measurement for a 200 will be the same except for the different crank pulley.

An R380 would make it quite a bit longer,unless you can find the elusive short shaft R380 and bell housing.

Ok,just been rolling around on a wet road for your benefit.

From front of crank pulley to rear face of handbrake drum = 1510mm +/- 5mm (300/lt77/lt230)

The measurement for a 200 will be the same except for the different crank pulley.

An R380 would make it quite a bit longer,unless you can find the elusive short shaft R380 and bell housing.

Many Thanks J.

Just heading out to the garage with a tape measure and some chalk

i'll give you a go in the machine when it's finished, your clothes should be dry by then!!

Thanks again,

Dave