109 Halfshaft nuts?

mike4444244

Hi

Just started stripping front axle on the 109 and i have come across a round nut i cant get off, looking at the parts manual it looks like it needs a special kind of splined socket? are these available to buy or have a got to 'delicately machine' an old socket to fit? Its fitted with fwh which i'll probably replace with standard driving members, can I replace these nuts with a normal hex one? I'm very new to series landys and this is the first series axle i have had apart so any advice is welcome, heres me naively thinking it would be smilar to my 110 :rolleyes:

mike

Looks like you should be able to drift that off if all was ok with it. If you use a small cold chisel you could end up chiseling the castlations off the nut. Better to use something softer like a mild steel bar with a blunt end or a piece of brass bar. But if it is that tight then you may need to make up something to help. You could carefully grind a piece of steel tube or a spare socket to fit it but be careful to get the fit right to spread the load on to all the castlations or the drive pegs will break off one by one on the socket. Heat would help free it if you have access to a blow torch or similar.

If all else fails chisel it to split it open and then drift it round. You will need to be careful not to damage the threads so that a new one can be fitted.