compressor and air tool deal

disco tony

I've had to rely on my mum picking up an impact wrench for me 'cos I've been on nights and was in the Land of Nod this morning. It was a bit worrying to wake up this afternoon to a text message saying "what was the name of that wrench?" which was sent at 9.30 this morning :o. She says that she worked it out and got it for me. We'll see, I'll be off to collect in a bit :)

Come back with loads of presents :D

Bought pretty much everything in sight, oh and got some food :P

To answer an earlier post, the compressor is 9.5 cfm according to the paperwork.

Have to say I did not expect the spray gun, it claims to be professional quality, and looking at it the body and flask it is very good.

All in all I am a very happy bunny :D:D

Thanks to Aldi I now have a hobby workshop.

yep got my stuff, it was like christmas :D started the compressor up last night at 10, the naibors were out so it was all good :) i need to take the air ratchet back because it is leaking oil and air, from the actual tool, not the coupling. i picked up, the compressor, spot blaster, air ratchet, staple gun, impact wrench cant wait to use them this weekend. all for £120 :D

now then weres some rust spots on the series and rrc, shouldnt be to hard...

Also be aware that while the quick release connections look similar to the common PCL units found at Machine Mart, they are not compatable. The screw-in threads are, but not the quick release end. Use the compressor with the Aldi tools, and you will be OK. Buy tools elsewhere and you will find yourself looking for a MM VAT free day so you can buy up to a dozen ends, and a roll or three of PTFE tape.

Having now bought the drill and saw I was about to put PCL fittings on them but the ones that came with the Aldi units TBH look better and have a much larger bore. I already have a suitable female adapter in brass that fits them but does anyone know what these fittings are as I think I'd rather get some more and replace the PCL on my tyre inflater (only use for the compressor so far)?

Having now bought the drill and saw I was about to put PCL fittings on them but the ones that came with the Aldi units TBH look better and have a much larger bore. I already have a suitable female adapter in brass that fits them but does anyone know what these fittings are as I think I'd rather get some more and replace the PCL on my tyre inflater (only use for the compressor so far)?

All the cheap value kit that I have bought in the past has had those fittings on.. I have changed them all for PCL for 2 reasons: 1. Places around here only have PCL, and 2. I don't know if it's me, but I can't seem to release those fittings one-handed like I can PCL.*

TwoSheds.

p.s. If anyone want some of those fittings I think I still have 5 or 6 in the garage...

* After 35 years of doing it, I still find it amusing to 'shoot' the puffer onto the bench <heh heh> :ph34r:

The "cheapo" fittings can usually be found on tool stalls at most street markets etc.

I think mine were labelled "blackspur" or "Rolson"

Around £3 gets you 4 male fittings and one female.

Quality is fair for the price, but they can be a pain to use, either not releasing or popping off under pressure.

Bob

p.s. If anyone want some of those fittings I think I still have 5 or 6 in the garage...

If you fancy sending them in a jiffy bag to me I can return my PCL fittings? Though I'm not sure I have that many to return which is why changing would be easier now than later.

<THICKO_ALERT>

I got one of these from Aldi on friday(Yay payday!). I can´t seem to fit the air hoses to the compressor. The tools attach to hoses fine and I can also connect the air hoses together. The connector on the compressor doesn't seem to be the same type as the quick release ones on the hoses / tools. I am missing something from the kit (or my brain?).

I have just given up on the helpline after being on hold for 30mins.

</THICKO_ALERT>

If you fancy sending them in a jiffy bag to me I can return my PCL fittings? Though I'm not sure I have that many to return which is why changing would be easier now than later.

Doesn't matter about number - these things were just gathering dust anyway....

Sorry, I appear to have lost a couple... I have four males (two brass with tapered male thread and two steel with shorter (male) parallel threads and which had O rings - but only one has one now. I also have a female too with a tapered male thread.

Funny thing is when I picked up the female, it had a male in it and I pulled on the sleeve et voila! It shot straight out! :lol:

Anyway - pm me your address and I'll have them over to you in a jiffy ;)

TwoSheds

<THICKO_ALERT>

I got one of these from Aldi on friday(Yay payday!). I can´t seem to fit the air hoses to the compressor. The tools attach to hoses fine and I can also connect the air hoses together. The connector on the compressor doesn't seem to be the same type as the quick release ones on the hoses / tools. I am missing something from the kit (or my brain?).

I have just given up on the helpline after being on hold for 30mins.

</THICKO_ALERT>

Is there anyway I can discharge this thing without attaching a tool ? It is currently sat outside full of compressed air - I have no wish to bring this thing inside while full and I still have had no luck attaching the hoses.

Is there anyway I can discharge this thing without attaching a tool ? It is currently sat outside full of compressed air - I have no wish to bring this thing inside while full and I still have had no luck attaching the hoses.

should have a drain plug underneath, tilt it to one side and probably unscrew half a turn.

should have a drain plug underneath, tilt it to one side and probably unscrew half a turn.

Thanks - I have now drained it.

Here are some pics of the conector on the compressor and the supplied hose. Are these correct (ie I am thick and can´t connect the hoses) or the wrong type ?

comp1.jpg

comp2.jpg

hose.jpg

EDIT: Thicko attached wrong pictures.

Thanks - I have now drained it.

Here are some pics of the conector on the compressor and the supplied hose. Are these correct (ie I am thick and can´t connect the hoses) or the wrong type ?

The pictures are - as far as I can tell - exactly the same as mine. You should be able to just push the male coupling on the hose into the female on the compressor. When you push in far enough the sleeve on the female should snap forward and lock it in place.

what happens when you try to connect - does it refuse to lock or what?

TwoSheds

The pictures are - as far as I can tell - exactly the same as mine. You should be able to just push the male coupling on the hose into the female on the compressor. When you push in far enough the sleeve on the female should snap forward and lock it in place.

what happens when you try to connect - does it refuse to lock or what?

TwoSheds

I wasn't pushing hard enough. It required much more pressure than attaching the tools to the hose, they snap in nice and easy.

Looks like I am weak thicko then!

:) :) :)

So - you tried your toys tools yet then? :lol:

Thought it was a bit too late to whizz the radius arms off and change the bushes, especially as the SWMBO will need the landy tomorrow. So I just Mildly miffed around with it like a diickhead tested the attachments.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, must have had one too many in the pub last night.

I got one too so now have a duplicate set of the "free" tools.

They'll be going on eblag soon.

Mine had a serious leak from the little pipe to the pressure switch.

It had been overtightened and the alloy pipe had just split inside the union.

5 mins with my brake flaring kit soon sorted it though.

Quicker than a 30 mile return trip to Aldi for a replacement.

Oh and don't do what I did.

After a bottle of Rioja on Friday night I was bored so went to have a play with my new toys.

Assembled the compressor as per the instructions then filled the oil up.

As I said I'd had a bottle of wine so mistook an air bubble in the oil level glass for a low oil level.

Put around a pint of oil in then switched it on.

Very spectacular! Nice fountain of oil made a graceful arc across the garage and all over the bench where I just happened to have an old radio in bits!!

Note to self....alcohol and machinery don't mix! (nor do Radios and oil for that matter!)

Bob

I too bought one of these on Thursday - the on-off switch is broken and it leaks but you pays your money... mine seems to have oil in already - the sightglass is half full. Am I the only one or am I blind?

If I'm blind, what grade of oil should I be feeling for in the stores oil retailer?

nope they already have oil in when it is half way up the glass (the red bubble in other words) it is full. just get some of the oil they have at aldi, only £3.50 or somthing like that. it was worth picking some up.

I too bought one of these on Thursday - the on-off switch is broken and it leaks but you pays your money...

And you gets a three year guarantee! Plus (I have heard) if you take it back they will do an instant replacement or refund, no quibbles... They are used to selling cheap items which have an expected failure rate... and I for one am glad they do :)

TwoSheds

Hi Phil,

You may have found out by now but just in case.

To let the air out of the tank, look at the right hand end of the pipe with the outlets on it. There is a red plastic cap with a metal pin and ring on it. This is the safety pressure release valve. If you pull firmly on the ring it will let the air out, be warned the metal ring is very thin and weak.

You can use the botom valve which is easier as you won't need to hold it but you may damage the thread under full pressure?

Hope all is well with your kit, one of my air connectors was stiff and would not work at first but now is OK :D

Marc.

i had to take the windy ratchet back (minus a few sockets that have found there way into my tool set now, i had to take somthing for my trouble of taking it back :)). you take it back to them and the woman in the isle just took the old one off me, wrote excange on the box of the new one and i took it to the desk and he let me change it no questions :)