wobbly steering - help!

Unlikely that steering wobble is related to springs and shocks.

I would suggest something like worn swivels or steering damper. I'm sure some others will come up different possible problems to look for...

Hope you find the problem

It can sometimes be a bit of everything - mine didn't go away until I'd:

Balanced the wheels

Replaced panhard rod bushes (primary culprit)

replaced slightly worn track rod ends

adjusted swivel preload (secondary culprit)

Saying that, bushes and swivels tend to bring the vibration on at a lower speed- 45mph, and wheel balancing at higher speeds, so try that first.

I'm assuming the HD springs give you some lift, this will put greater load on the panhard and steering rod and affect caster, although not by much (unless it's a big lift).

I'd start by checking the bushes.

• 5 weeks later...

I had some similar symptoms a while back on a 300tdi Defender 90. It turned out to be the swivel preloads at fault. Jacked the front of the vehicle up just enough for the wheels to clear the ground, then slid a shovel blade under the tyre and levered up against the wheel. There was noticeable up-down movement, and not from the wheel bearing (already checked that). Problem was solved by taking a thick shim out from under the top swivel pin to re-establish the correct preload. Result - a totally transformed drive, at all speeds. It took us weeks to figure this out, but didn't have LR4X4 to refer to at the time :(

Michael