MOT exempt vehicles

Scotian

Just wondering if anyone knows the exact technicalities surrounding MOT exempt vehicles. As far as I know if your vehicle is a recovery truck (and it includes cherry pickers for some reason too) it is exempt the annual MOT test.

What I would like to know is what tests is it subject to if any?

What exactly makes it a recovery vehicle?. What I mean is, how little can you get away with but it still be classed as a recovery vehicle and therefor be MOT exempt?

My line of thinking is, if I changed my landrover to the extent that it was technically a recovery vehicle, had what ever checks/tests done and informed DVLA, then I wouldnt need to make a trip back to the UK once a year for the MOT and just keep it taxed and insured over the internet while I am in Romania.

Anyone know the definitive answers?

A Recovery vehicle is one that can either carry a complete dead vehicle or part of a dead vehicle, with purpose built bodywork/equipment, i.e.HGV recovery trucks & RAC recovery transporters & the speclift type recovery vans that most garages use

like these Not 100% if the RAC van is MOT exempt as it's not truely a recovery vehicle. I forgot the LR109 photo :D

post-20-1206641072.jpeg

post-20-1206641087.jpeg

post-20-1206641113.jpeg

post-20-1206641121.jpeg

post-20-1206645376.jpeg

Edited by western

I;ve seen landrovers with one of those little carrying crane things in the back for lifting the front wheels of a car and also the cherry picker that is MOT exempt.

Could I do somthing that wouldnt ruin the vehicle for every day use in order for it to be in this class of vehicle, Maybe some kind of attachment on the rear cross member for a dolly with some kind of hydraulics?

I tried this one with my 6x6.

I was told it had to be specifically built to take all or part of the disabled vehicle and must not be capable, nor used for, carrying any other kinds of goods, private or commercial. Also it would have to be insured as a recovery vehicle which would make me a recovery operator and that would put me as working in the motor trade and that would then have a knock on effect on the insurance I had on my other vehicles as they stipulated that I must not be working in the motor trade if I wanted to have 'Used for my business or trade' cover.

I also tried mobile crane and fell foul of that as it then made it plant with limited road miles or I would have to have my crane, winches and all lifting equipment tested regularly if I wanted to use it for driving to and from my place of work or in relation to my business. Also I couldn't carry (transport) any other kinds of load or goods private or commercial.

I also tried showman's vehicle, because I took it to shows - that didn't work as I had to be registered as a travelling showman.

I tried road locomotive - I could have towed two trailers then but had too many other restraints, like top speed of 20 mph I think it was then.

In the end I gave up and just left it as PLG with tax and MOT.

here are the forms http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItOnli...p;Rendition=Web

I used to look after a fleet of tarmac hotboxes classed as mobile road construction plant , These were 18>26 ton rigid lorrys .

They were exempt from everything , Mot , road fuel, hgv licence , O licence and cost the same as a car to tax .

So you could fit a heated hopper on the back , and carry tarmac . :ph34r::ph34r::rolleyes:

Ok. using the same stupid loop holes that let a murderer get away with it becuase the video of him stabbing the other man was filmed without consent or somthing stupid like that... can I fit somthing (not really but techincally) like the hopper and re-register the vehicle?

cherry pickers Are defentally exempt ,(classed as plant) you are also allowed to legally run them on red derv at 40p a litre too :P

only regulation is that it can not carry any other tools than that required to carry out a percific job ie , cant carry timber if your bussness is street light maint

cherry pickers Are defentally exempt ,(classed as plant) you are also allowed to legally run them on red derv at 40p a litre too :P

only regulation is that it can not carry any other tools than that required to carry out a percific job ie , cant carry timber if your bussness is street light maint

That leaves it wide open for a landrover cherry picker then. You need to carry all the tools under the sun in order to repair it on the hop when you are away from your garage :lol:

And as for artical 36.. can I just put some padding, soft toys and some silly pictures in the back :hysterical:

Why not just register it in Romania instead of turning it into a cherry picker. That's the silliest thing I've heard in a long while, if it costs too much to import then buy yourself a little Dacia or something! If you are going to live in Romania, register it there and stop whining (in the nicest possible way) about having to come back to the UK each year ! You can't have your cake and eat it.

Mo

Guest diesel_jim

We've got one at work, on a dodge chassis (used to have a scarey series 3 109" as well). it doesn't need an MoT, classed as "restricted HGV" and it's the rustiest thing you've ever seen! :o:o:blink:

Its becuase of the 1500+ euro tax that must be paid on it to register it here. It would take about 2 years for that to pay for its self compared to driving home once a hear to mot it there. And right now I dont have that kind of cash spare.

And besides.I was never talking about converting it into a cherry picker.. I was asking about making it technically class as plant or recovery (just forfilling the form to the word) without making it (as I already said) un suitable for every day use.

I think you'd probably spend the 1500 Euros trying to make it into something to avoid the MOT here so bite the bullet and save yourself a whole heap of hassle. Surely you must have known about this before you took your 90 out there ?

I'm not trying to wind you up, I'm just genuinely puzzled by the lengths you'd go to to avoid the MOT when you'd have to bring to to the UK to get it inspected to get it's class changed anyway, so there goes your 1500 Euros straightaway. Just doesn't seem to be worth the hassle.

Mo

Ok. using the same stupid loop holes that let a murderer get away with it becuase the video of him stabbing the other man was filmed without consent or somthing stupid like that... can I fit somthing (not really but techincally) like the hopper and re-register the vehicle?

Well I guess you could but you have answered your own question , Its a big risk to take , You can tell DVLA Its been coverted to whatever to claim your exemption . After all its only a declaration , no extra checks are carried out .

But its your shout ,

I did know about the costs but there is no harm going down this road and investigating. I am of course going to be visiting the UK at least once a year for family and friends but I dont want to do it only at MOT time. On that topic. Can I get it MOTed every time I go back even if its not due for a few months? Will the year start again then? It never has problems with MOTs as I am always ontop of it (under it but you know what I mean) and can spot an MOT failure when I see one..

vosa nicked me on the m25 in a cargo recovery vehicle for no mot although dvla were taxing it as a recovery truck no mot required it cost a fortune to recover the truck and vehicle on the back just before i had to go to court it was all dropped but they still insist it requires a mot as it can carry other goods on the ramps. its the same story as bobtails even they are not surewhat is what.

i ordered red derv last week it's over 52ppl now. look out for a rise if food prices(i wish).

Tim

If its got a platform carrying the car then it does need mot /plating however if it has a crane/speclift then it doesnt as funnily enough I was taking my mates recovery truck in the local vosa station to see if it needed plating for him only to be told that as its not got a platform only the winches and speclift that it doesnt need plating and the only reason it was still plated was because it wasnt a breakdown truck when it was plated lastyear