Electric cooling fans.

Steve 90

That sounds PERFECT, I can then hear my V8 sound the way it should, but not lose the reliability of the engine driven cooling fan :P

Si, VERY nice work, you can tentatively put me down for one ;)

I was wondering how those were getting on Si, a great idea i think, an old merc i had ran one of these, very efficient.

is that a picture of the motor you are testing for your new truck as well? - looks a bit small!

Sam - you need a new viscous hub, when thats sorted you wont need anything else that will cope.

I was wondering how those were getting on Si, a great idea i think, an old merc i had ran one of these, very efficient.

G waggons and Iveco trucks use these - but they are both about 50mm thick - and cost nearly £500 as a replacement part! I looked at an Iveco unit but just could not see a way of adapting it to fit a Land Rover!

is that a picture of the motor you are testing for your new truck as well? - looks a bit small!

Actually I thought it was OTT for a truck which weighs less than my 90's seat covers! ;)

Si

Sam - you need a new viscous hub, when thats sorted you wont need anything else that will cope.

I've already got one on order, but having seen the above prototype I wish I'd waited now...

• 4 weeks later...

My ol` diesel Series III is used 100% off-road about the farm; nearly always moving at slow speed/revs and for engine driven capstan-winching of logs.

I like to re-use 'stuff' where possible and have 'to hand' a single 12" electric radiator fan from a Vx.(Opel) 'Omega' and intend to add it as an auxilliary pusher to the front of the radiator to aid cooling when the engine`s used for extended periods with little or no fwd-motion cooling.

I intend to have the electric fan manually 'switched' with a big push/pull illuminated dash switch....obviously I`ll need to use a relay, fuse and correct gauge cable; but, to aid `component-selection, might I ask: what might the typical current draw be for this kind of fan?.....which (BTW) has three wires, so I assume; two available speeds.

Kind regards,

Debs. :D

Cable-wise I'd use stuff rated for 30A+ (standard 3mm thinwall is 33A I believe), start off with a 20A fuse in the holder but you may well need to go to 25A or 30A as the fan can take a big surge of current at startup and blow the fuse, even if it only draws ~15-20A when running.

Si, Impressive :D.

my mondeo fan needs a 40A fuse to start up, I've used two 20A and can happily remove one, once the fan is running! :)

which (BTW) has three wires, so I assume; two available speeds.

Could be a dangerous assumption to make, my mondeo fan has three terminals. Ground, 12v, and a sense coil output, which outputs ~12v when the fan is turning at speed. Applying 12v to it (during testing/investigating) produced nothing from the motor.

• 1 month later...
[Teaser Warning]

It's probably jumping the gun a bit - as it's only a prototype (Mk3) and won't be ready for a few months but I have an alternative to viscose and electric fans which gives the advantages of both.

post-74-1212964940_thumb.jpg

post-74-1212964933_thumb.jpg

post-74-1212964926_thumb.jpg

It's a fan operated by an electromagnetic clutch. It's taken some time (over a year!) and effort to get to something which transmits enough torque and where the clutch plates last long enough - but save for a few issues with the manufacture of the coil - it works rather well!

Thanks to all the people who 'donated' old fans to me last year for the first prototype and to Nick (RogueVogue) Watts for the motor to test it with.

It can deliver up to 6 times the cooling of an electric fan (based on power consumption), but when switched off has almost no drag on the engine. You can run it with a thermostat, override it on or off with a switch - and if for whatever reason, it fails - you can lock the clutch plates together with a pair of bolts and still have cooling.

It is the same thickness as the viscose unit (which was a challenge in itself). The distance from the nose of the water pump to the front of the hub is only 15mm - so it will fit V8's where the fan is very close to the rad.

I think this might revolutionise the whole electric/viscose fan market in Land Rovers - and it will cost less than a replacement, patterned viscose hub!

[/Teaser Warning]

Si

Any progress on your clutch fan and I hope you ship to Aus

Cheers Mickey.