Help... The nipple came off in me hand

My first attempt at maintenance and I have cocked it up. Doesn't bode well.

Thought I would have a go at greasing a nipple, cleaned it, pumped a few strokes into it and some grease came out of the UJ so I stopped and then couldn't get the nozzle off the nipple. Pulled a bit (and twisted which I knew was wrong but didn't mean to) and the nipple came off. :(

vfgxlu.jpg

Firstly, have I snapped the nipple thread or is that the normal length. looks awfully short, but the thread looks complete?

And secondly, how on earth do I get it off the hoze clamp thingy?

And thirdly. What do I do to prevent this in the future?

thanks.

pliers and a vice to remove said nipple

and you'll need to extricate the rest of the thread/drill it out to fit another one

Ah nuts.

Can I still drive it? I have to go down the farm, pick up a trailer, drive to another farm, collect the clay traps and then drive to another farm and set up a shoot and then back again. All within 5 miles though. Is it ok to drive?

Also, with regards to extracting the rest of the thread. Do I stick a drill in and hope to grab it and turn it out or will it be a case of drill and then tap a new thread in?

Can't believe this happens the very first thing I try to do anything. hurumph.

mad

Yup, madcowz, you can still drive it, it's not the end of the world :) Probably easiest thing to do is change the UJ on the prop, a seemingly daunting task at first but quite simple in reality :)

Mo

Thanks Mo,

I have stopped doing 'little poos' and am now relaxing with a cup of tea.

Although I would like to know what I did wrong and how to prevent it happening on the other 5 nipples.

mad

Thanks Mo,

I have stopped doing 'little poos' and am now relaxing with a cup of tea.

Although I would like to know what I did wrong and how to prevent it happening on the other 5 nipples.

mad

You were probably broke it off when you were levering against it trying to remove the grease gun, they are not very strong as they are hollow and consequently easy to break off. Sometimes grease guns hang on and you just have to be patient wiggling and pulling it until it comes off ( :ph34r: ) !

Mo

just sounds like you were unlucky to me, i would leave it as it is drive it until the UJ looses all the grease and the cups collapse then replace the UJ, thats assuming the thread broke off and it didnt just all come out, cant see in the picture.

Look at posts 11 and 12, then read the Useful Tips mentioned.

Note that you should never attempt to PULL the gun nozzle off.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=25369&hl=

Site tip.

On this site, at least once a day use the 'View New Posts' link, towards the top right of the screen.

Then you have a chance of picking up items which are of interest to you, but not in 'your' particular section. Thus you would have seen the Grease and Grease guns thread.

BTW, I would NOT encourage you to tackle UJ replacement as an 'almost first' job.

I agree with JST, just drive the vehicle, but in addition, ask locally for someone who will happily tackle removing the stub of the grease nipple. This isn't difficult, to someone who knows and has the kit. You may have to pay, but the willingness to tackle this job indicates someone to go back to when you need practical assistance.

This person may be trade, but can be private.

Whichever, the value is doubled if you are allowed to watch / participate.

HTH

You can remove the rest of the nipple with a stud extractor- basically a bit like a tap but with reverse thread. The piece left in will already have a hole down the middle into which you wind the stud extractor until it bites and it should then wind out the broken bit- in theory...

If not then as has already been said just drive it until the UJ wears out and then replace it- it will probably last a fair while in any case.

Why not, it is a simple job to do, quite within the realms of a first-timer.

Mo

I'm pretty sure I can replace a UJ. It looks fairly easy and I have access to a large workshop at the farm.

I have borrowed a set of stud extrator from my dad so will hopefully whip the stuck bit of nipple tomorrow. Also wiggled and bashed and generally abused the grease gun end with the broken nipple and now it slips on and off more easily so I am happy to try the others.

mad

I'm pretty sure I can replace a UJ. It looks fairly easy and I have access to a large workshop at the farm.

I have borrowed a set of stud extrator from my dad so will hopefully whip the stuck bit of nipple tomorrow. Also wiggled and bashed and generally abused the grease gun end with the broken nipple and now it slips on and off more easily so I am happy to try the others.

mad

It's a tight squeeze to get the clip-on type of grease gun to fit a LR prop shaft grease nipple. I use a very cheap and small reservoir size gun with a lever action which just has a taper cup at the grease delivery end which sits over the grease nipple. You have to push hard to form a seal but it fits inside a LR UJ and works every time. The grease gun was with a diamond cutting tool for concrete so you might find one at your local friendly hire shop. Most mechanics in LR garages use a needle attachment on their grease guns. Screws onto the body with a flexible pipe and at the business end is a needle just like a hyperdermic syringe needle, push into the sprung ball of the grease nipple.

Try B6783 about halfway down http://www.allube.co.uk/pdfs/grease_gun_accessories.pdf

This is different type to what I have seen but you can use your existing gun, the adaptor has a grease nipple to attach your existing sprung loaded gun.

Don't forget to clean the nipple with a rag to get the muck-off, if you leave the muck-on the gun forces the muck into the bearing!

Bet you ten bob that a small screwdriver would remove that broken nipple.

Good idea, will try that first.

Once I am all sorted and have me nipples all back on and ready to be greased. how much grease should I pump into them?

I gave this one two half pumps and dirty grease started to come out of the UJ so I stopped. Should I have continued until all clear new grease comes out?

thanks.

mad

I've been flamed for this suggestion but here goes.

I have a couple of long rease nipples for my props u/j's.

I fit Allen screws into the u/j for driving.

When I service the car I remove the Allen screw and fit my longer grease nopple.

I can then use any grease gun with the appropriate fitting.

No extra guns. No griding gun heads, a simple job to swap things over.

Thank you Commer for using those long grease nipples in your Commer PB vans on the 1960's.

I've changed one u/j in 66,000 miles.

mike

I've been flamed for this suggestion but here goes.

I have a couple of long rease nipples for my props u/j's.

I fit Allen screws into the u/j for driving.

When I service the car I remove the Allen screw and fit my longer grease nopple.

I can then use any grease gun with the appropriate fitting.

No extra guns. No griding gun heads, a simple job to swap things over.

Thank you Commer for using those long grease nipples in your Commer PB vans on the 1960's.

I've changed one u/j in 66,000 miles.

mike

Good idea, but why not buy an easier to use grease gun? - see above!

I gave this one two half pumps and dirty grease started to come out of the UJ so I stopped. Should I have continued until all clear new grease comes out?

Yes, but clean the grease off with a rag otherwise it will fly all over the exhaust system and then you get hot grease smells for days!

You will find that the grease will not come out of all 4 bearings in the UJ so as soon as you get clean grease from the slackest bearing that will be sufficient.

Ok, good news. Just pulled the broken bit of the nipple shaft out using these 'easy pull' reverse thread whatsits. Must get myself a set.

Was very easy to get out. Almost as though it was well greased :rolleyes:

Now just need to find the part number and order a few more in case when I do the same again.

Thanks all for your help and advice. Appreciated.

mad

Propshaft grease nipple LR part numbers

549229 - unf thread

or

234532 -unf thread

Oh,

I just got:

NIPPLE-GREASE, UNF

TYL100030

as it shows the 549229 as no longer available and no result for 234532

This is with Microcat and Model: Defender 1987 - onwards.

How I have I done this?

thanks.

Good idea, but why not buy an easier to use grease gun? - see above!

Yes, but clean the grease off with a rag otherwise it will fly all over the exhaust system and then you get hot grease smells for days!

You will find that the grease will not come out of all 4 bearings in the UJ so as soon as you get clean grease from the slackest bearing that will be sufficient.

Excplain why I should need to buy another grease gun. Any other grease gun will have the same size end as my grease gun. Unless of course you know better.

I've worked with grase guns since 1958 and have only seen two size nipples. The big brass ones the the gun slides over are no longer used now.

mike