Profiles!!

It's no good posting 'where can I get so and so' or 'has anyone got' type questions or 'I've got such and such for sale' in the classifieds if you do not give some indication of your location!

There is an answer to having to repeat yourself or forcing people to ask for this information...

FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!

You do this by clicking on the My Controls tab up there ^^^ below the LR4x4.com logo. Next click on Edit Profile Information where you can input your location, it does not have to be your exact address, in the case of UK members your county or nearest town will do. For those outside the UK you probably need to start by stating what country you are in ;)

A minute or two spent doing this might make people more willing to respond to your specific questions.

Guest diesel_jim

Is there not a moderator setting where folk can't post in certain forums (i.e. for sale/wanted) unless all their profile is filled in?

i suppose it would work unless they fill it in with sommat stupid like "in my house" or "the moon"

OR...

we could just ignore them and not bother to answer their plea's... if they can't be bothered, why should we? :blink:

Guest WALFY

Agree with the above^^^^^. But why limit it to buying/selling. It should be part of the registration process. If you don't fill in certain fields on registration you can't post in any of the forums. No one on here has that much to hide they need to keep their profile empty?

This is not just a classifieds specific issue, it's across the whole forum.

Just out of interest why do you need to know for the whole forum?

For most things it isn't necessary to know where people live.

Anyone watch that programme on TV the other week about identity fraud - recommending that you don't fill anything like this in unless absolutely necessary?

It is bone idleness in the same way as it is when people don't bother to read the T&C on registering and then whinge when their first post is in the classifieds and about a house for sale in Albania but it has a garage so some LR content ho ho, and then it gets deleted :rtfm:

No, but if someone lives close by, then I would probably PM them and go to show them how to fix/solve/create a problem!

I just think that it makes the whole place a lot more friendly.

I agree it can help (that's why I have mine filled in)

but I don't think it should be required, as you could just be asking technical questions and just requiring answers which don't need to know where you are.

I think it's more that it's beneficial for the user, rather than a necessity for the rest of us to know where they are from

I can see it helps for classified ads and such, but some people don't look anyway. :)

A recent request about an A bar by russianfrog got to post number 8 of people saying it's not within EU rules before MOG pointed out that he was not in the EU...

Guest diesel_jim
It is bone idleness in the same way as it is when people don't bother to read the T&C on registering and then whinge when their first post is in the classifieds and about a house for sale in Albania but it has a garage so some LR content ho ho, and then it gets deleted :rtfm:

This house then Stephen.... does it have a dishwasher and lights in the garage?? :lol::lol:

Anyone watch that programme on TV the other week about identity fraud - recommending that you don't fill anything like this in unless absolutely necessary?

Just two examples - people want to know where they can obtain parts or ask for assistance for instance. Knowing roughly where they are located can aid such enquiries.

Look, I'm not saying you need to enter your full name, date of birth, entire address, bank account info, racial background, blood group, religion, occupation, annual income! Just a rough idea of where you are (I just state Suffolk in mine).

Talking about identity fraud is being a tad extreme.

It also means that whatever the people fill in should be reasonable. To take the previous location of a certain moderator (Third rock from the Antarctic), or mine for that instance Mainland Europe, mostly)...

Not very descriptive. So if you ask people to fill out their profiles and locations, you should force them to enter 'real' data. Which on a free forum is not an obvious thing to do...

I am all for it, but it needs a change of mind set, starting with myself actually

Guest diesel_jim
I'm still in Italy,can I keep my poetic sig? :D

<--------

I wonder what my poetic sig would be....

a large town surrounded by roads with more roads and houses and more houses and loads of immigrants....

welcome to Swindon... :lol::lol:

If I go away for a weekend do I need to change my sig to be true? What if I go to the shops? the kitchen? the toilet? I might start keeping my sig exactly correct!! :P I dont want to get in trouble for it being the wrong place :P

If I go away for a weekend do I need to change my sig to be true? What if I go to the shops? the kitchen? the toilet? I might start keeping my sig exactly correct!! I dont want to get in trouble for it being the wrong place

Scotian, your so cool! Your house is so big that the kitchen & toilet are in another country!! :P

Hi Folks

I do not understand why it is so diffucult to fill in the data, re location just an area name or larger closest town is would be enough, I have also been in that situation where I refere to spicifik things in the european market and the got the response that the guy was from an other continent where things are different it to a couple off replys before we found out!!!

Could have been avoided if info had been there.

Kind regards

Ole

It also means that whatever the people fill in should be reasonable. To take the previous location of a certain moderator (Third rock from the Antarctic)

Actually my location tells you exactly where I am if you bothered to read it properly!!!