Winch cable choice?

steve_d

I am one of a short list of drivers for a 1986 110 converted for emergency radio communications.

The vehicle is fitted with a Warn winch with steel cable.

None of the drivers have had any official winch training and the steel cable has likely passed its ‘Sell by date’. Based on this, the use of the winch has been written out of our operating procedures.

Sods Law says that one day circumstances will overtake us and the winch will have to be used.

Now the question.

What should we replace the cable with, steel or synthetic?

The choice needs to deal with:

• Which would be safest to use in the hands of the untrained?

• Which would last the longest spooled on the drum and not used for years?

• Would covering the winch give synthetic a longer life?

We believe we can get someone to sponsor the cost of the cable.

Much as we would like to get our drivers properly trained in off-road driving as well as winch use we cannot demonstrate to our normal sponsors that the vehicle will really need to be used off-road so they won’t fund it.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Steve

I think you have two options:

1. Steel - leave it on the drum and it will last for ages and is cheap. Very robust in use - will tolerate slight misuse better than syntheic I would suggest. Downside is it is harder to work with an if it is damaged could let go with disastrous consequences.

2. Synthetic - keep it inside the vehicle and only spool it on to the winch when it is actually needed. Less weight on the front of the truck, much safer if it does break and safe from thieving types. Downside is it needs to be used correctly to prvent chafing and damage. You will also need to change the fairlead to a hawse. (Assuming a roller fairlead at present with the existing steel cable)

If it really isn't going to be used much then I think I would go for the steel cable. it is fit and forget and a new galvansied wire rope will last for a long time without use! Cheap too!

Agree with everything Bish says here. (You can buy me that pint later ;) )

The important things here are that the steel cable is not damaged and that the operator wears good quality gloves should it be called into use.

In your circumstances I'd get somebody "that knows" to give the steel cable a visual inspection and stick with it.

My 2p

• Which would be safest to use in the hands of the untrained?

I think synthetic, as it is easier to damage in some ways (chafing) but harder in others (winding on the drum in a messy way which is very common!), no steel spikes to catch the fingers, and if it snaps it will hurt less!

• Which would last the longest spooled on the drum and not used for years?

Wire for sure

• Would covering the winch give synthetic a longer life?

Swings and roundabouts really, wire would be cheaper but despite the fact I rarely use my winch these days I would not go back to it. Then again my 110 spends most of its time under cover in the garage so the synthetic should last pretty well in there :)

safest is synthetic, and wire will last the longest with no maintenance like for like.

I would be tempted to leave it with neither though if its a company/volunteer vehicle as if the rope is on it someone will use it and there is bound to be a liability question if there was an accident.

You've actually got a wider choice, product and process. It seems to me that the equipment you've got is more than adequate for the job you're doing but your risk area is the condition of the cable. You could spool out and visually inspect the steel cable periodically (eg monthly) and demonstrate failure criteria to replace it, eg heavy kinking (specify how heavy), corrosion, fraying, bunches spreading etc.

You're managing a risk, and too often people label it "Health and Safety", chuck a DoNotUse tag on it and walk away, or else spend huge quantities of money on an infallible solution. This is an example where you have the right equipment (durable steel cable) and insufficient process. Training to use the winch certainly wouldn't hurt, and you could replace it to be sure (eg if you think it might have internal corrosion).

Without a regular check in place, I wouldn't go to plasma because it's not as durable. Steel wire in good condition, used sensibly, won't kill anyone.

Steel on my Husky every time, when extracting rallycars from the mud & bushes a fibre rope wouldn't last very long, sometimes it's unaviodable for the cable to cut into the ground, I'm sure that would wreck a fibre rope beyond further use.

(...)

1. Steel - leave it on the drum and it will last for ages and is cheap. Very robust in use - will tolerate slight misuse better than syntheic I would suggest. Downside is it is harder to work with an if it is damaged could let go with disastrous consequences.

(...)

Can you only get dynamic steel wire rope in UK?

In Denmark it is possible to buy non-dynamic steel wire rope. If such a wire should break it will just fall to the ground - like a chain. It is the elastic properties of the wire which is able to store energy. If the cable is totally non-elastic (as a chain) there is no energy to store - an no energy to send any lumps of metal flying!

For my winches - steel wire rope every time! (But I dont do competitions - for competition use I can thoroughly understand why the transition form steel to synthetic is the only sensible choice)

Can you only get dynamic steel wire rope in UK?

In Denmark it is possible to buy non-dynamic steel wire rope. If such a wire should break it will just fall to the ground - like a chain. It is the elastic properties of the wire which is able to store energy. If the cable is totally non-elastic (as a chain) there is no energy to store - an no energy to send any lumps of metal flying!

For my winches - steel wire rope every time! (But I dont do competitions - for competition use I can thoroughly understand why the transition form steel to synthetic is the only sensible choice)

Ive seen some of this stuff , Isnt it what they use on elevators and lifts?

Could be reckon it would be far to stiff for wniches with small drum diameters, most likely 10 or 12mm, where most winch cables are 8 or 9mm.

I dont know how small diameter they make this steel wire rope in, but I have just bought 50 meter 12mm non-dynamic steel wire rope for my new winch. Translated to your currency the cost was about 150£