shackles

water proof jacket

Shovel

Axe

bow saw

high lift

torch.

and spares for the 90 itself.

credit cards to get cash to pay farmers for recovering my sorry ass.

mobile is ok but doesn't work in lots of areas around here.

Did have Waffles but they got busted, so awaiting some new 50mm ones

I do have winches the ground anchor has been at home for a while now though as generally there are trees available, if not I can always beg a mate to come and help.

Edited by white90

yep, as above, and I carry a collapsable shovel in both vehicles at all times too. When I venture off road I step up to carrying spare parts as well!

At this time of year I also have my winter kit in the vehicles too:

1x spare set clothes

1x set waterproofs

1x set of thermals

wellies (pair of)

woolly hat, socks and gloves

Sleeping bag

Treking pole

Instep crampons (a bit overkill in the UK!)

I have at one time or another needed every bit of kit! (mostly in bluddy traffic jams on motorways in 1mm of snow!!)

Ooooh

As it happens I have just started loading things up for Christmas :)

Jackall

2 x alloy bridge/jacking boards

10 metre 24mm nylon tow rope

Milemarker on the front with 10mm Dyneema and a wireless remote (need that to plough in the Kittygripper when alone)

T-Max hand winch for rearward/upside down/any other unclassified disaster recovery

KittyGripper plough ground anchor

Tube and pin military ground anchor

Winch extension line (Dyneema)

About a dozen shackles of different sizes, mostly proper rated ones

Snatch block

Hook chain

Master ring (allows a winch hook to go onto a NATO hitch etc)

Big F off wheelbrace

Extra spare wheel

Torch

Ibuprofen (nothing worse than trying to unstick yourself with a stinking headache)

VHF radio in the vehicle, and often a handheld one too

Wellies

Waterproof coat

Spade

Sledgehammer for ground anchor pins

3 x cases of beer and 1 x case of wine :D

Toolbox with screwdrivers, adjustables, mole grips, propshaft tool, cable ties, duct tape, insulating tape, crimp connectors, a few bits of wire, pliers, chocolate block connectors

1/2" square drive socket set

Spares I have just packed up for this trip include:

5L engine oil

Fuel filter

Wheel bearing kit

Propshaft UJ's

Rear shocker bushes (the new ones have an irritating habit of wearing out rather suddenly!)

Tubeless tyre repair plugs

Spare fan belt

Spare belt for the hydraulic pump on the winch

No trees in this neck of the woods hence no axe/saw etc required but 2 ground anchors required instead :)

I tend to cart everything around most of the time when off road as the times I have been stuck and unable to get out have always been the times when I thought "oh well I'm not going far and it's quite dry so I won't get stuck today..."

For a day to day car like I use the Disco 2 for I carry

5m Kerr

3m tree strop

shovel

jump leads

two shakles

few blankets

big wheel brace

If I am heading for snow I will put the bridging ladders on the roof.

This is not much but my disco never goes off road apart from site

What would you have in your recovery kit?

Just wondering what you would have in your recovery kit to cover all eventualities.

thanks in advance

Tom :D

Ok in the 90 for our off roading trip we have

2 spare tyres

Punter kit and foam

Tyre inflator

Hi-lift jack

Ground anchor

25m winch extension strop,

8 m Kentic

8 m snatch strop

5 m towing strop

Tree strop.

Various shackles

Set of chains

Pully block

Jump leads

Shovel

60 spare ltrs of diesel

55 ltrs of water

Paris Dakar Light weight sand ladders (made from carbon fiber, nicked from Jules when he was not looking, Only joking on load from Jules)

Tools and land rover speical tools.

Parts , water pump , Viscus, spare front prop , spare rear prop, starter motor, alternator, 2 sets of wheel bearings, stub axel, 2 sets of UJ's, CV, end cap bolts, prop bolts,feul fitter , oil fiter, full set of turbo and water hoses,spare alloy wheel nuts and spare alloys locking wheel nut key,Clutch master , Brake master, clutch slave.Spare brass rad plugs, spare fan belts and power steering belts. Oils and stuff, spare front shock spare rear shock , spare steering damper and a few more that i can't remeber at the moment :D

If I'm going laning, as well as the normal recovery stuff I always take a towel and some wet wipes.

And never, ever, EVER forget the cookies! Essential for last lane syndrome when you're still trying to recover yourself at 11.00pm. and useful for bribing handy looking chaps with! :rolleyes:

I forgot the single most essential thing. And this is serious in case anybody thinks otherwise.

Bog roll....

It is bad enough having to dig a hole and sh&& behind a grass bog, without then having to try and wipe with a handful of grass as well....

I always keep one in the 90, sealed in a poly bag for emergencies!

All the above is good stuff, clearly there are a lot of well equipped Land Rovers for all kinds of recovery situations.

As well as the usual spares, belts, hoses etc., I carry a recovery kit and emergency first aid kit.

Recovery kit includes having recovery points front and rear, naturally. Rear includes a proper tow pin, not a gooseneck tow ball, the latter should never ever be used for recovery, unless you enjoy decapitating your friends and relatives.

In my bag are :

gloves (rated by safety glove supplier as best for wire rope protection)

tow strap

gloves

snatch strap (kinetic)

gloves

assorted high grade shackles

gloves

snatch block

gloves

towels

gloves

first aid kit was stocked as recommended by a paramedic who covers a lot of desert races and car launches in remote areas here in Africa and includes :

re-hydration packs

insect sting treatment

burn packs (very comprehensive kit)

antiseptic creams

stomach ailment pills

anti-malaria prophylactics

nausea treatment

heartburn relief treatment

anti swelling

muscle pain relief

cold and flu tablets

anti allergic reaction (various)

muscle spasm treatment

complete and comprehensive anti-diarrhoea kit

all kinds of minor treatments for headaches, earaches, sore throats, etc

travellers dental kit

steri strips

self-adhesive suture strips

eye wash (useful for snake venom sprayed in eyes treatment, although water can be used, milk is better)

eye wash also used for all kinds of eye problems, including dust and conjunctivitis

cough syrup

field dressings

triangular bandages

all sizes of band aid/elastoplast

roll bandages

large and small scissors

large (soft plastic) bottle of disinfectant

water purifaction kit

And a bit more :-)

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Brian

I should add that I do have a hi-lift jack, base plate,

winch, bog rolls, extra spare wheel, long range tanks, etc., as above.

Didn't want to duplicate things :-)

Come to think of it, I carried a lot of bog rolls on the last trip, which were appreciated by all :-) Campsites don't have any, so you have to bring your own and, inevitably, some get left behind in the loo. There were eight of us on the last trip for two weeks. Yes, lots of bog rolls are needed ! lol And of the right kind for the ladies ! Get the wrong ones and you'll hear about it for the rest of your life ! Taking no less than 18 of them on the last trip was about right, only 3 left at the end lol They learnt quickly how to keep their own in sight and with them at all times :-)

Regards,

Brian

If you're just starting out (I seem to remember you're pretty young?) then sturdy recovery points front & rear (which can be bought or made), some good tested shackles and a decent tow rope or two (different lengths) will see you right most of the time.

Do what I did - buy stuff after (or ideally just before) you realise you need it!

My kinetic rope came from Paddock in Matlock because they were the best price at the time, but you don't need a kinetic to get you out of the goo. Machine Mart and Screwfix both supply shackles, but make sure it's tested and you get a certificate with each one - Screwfix sell these and I'd cosh you round the head with it if you came to me brandishing it and asking for recovery - you can't guarantee the quality of the material.

If you're just starting out (I seem to remember you're pretty young?)

You could say that :P

Machine Mart seam to be more expensive then any where else i have looked,

Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking about getting a couple of jate rings for the recovery point,

a few shackles 4.25 tone , tree strop, 2m bridal, and high lift jack, and a recovery rope from Devon 4x4 a ARB snatch strap.

i think that will be a good start for now and as you said get extra equipment just before i need it :D

Thanks for all the help

You could say that :P

Machine Mart seam to be more expensive then any where else i have looked,

Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking about getting a couple of jate rings for the recovery point,

a few shackles 4.25 tone , tree strop, 2m bridal, and high lift jack, and a recovery rope from Devon 4x4 a ARB snatch strap.

i think that will be a good start for now and as you said get extra equipment just before i need it :D

Thanks for all the help

Just a suggestion...

You might want to reconsider getting a kinetic rope/strap

It's very very easy for things to go horribly wrong with a kinetic - more so than a "normal" rope because of the forces that can be generated by a vehicle weighing in excess of 2 tonnes.

I'd strongly advise that in the first instance you make sure you've got some decent recovery points front and back, get yourself a decent tow rope / strop and go out a few times with one or two more experienced drivers. You'll soon find out what kit you'll need and what you don't.

Please don't take this the wrong way, it's ok having the kit, but the important bit is knowing how to use it safely - Take a hilift jack for example.... at least one of the mods on here has had an argument with one - and lost..... mind you, it improved his looks..... (eh Will ;) )

Cheers,

Matt

Please don't take this the wrong way, it's ok having the kit, but the important bit is knowing how to use it safely - Take a hilift jack for example.... at least one of the mods on here has had an argument with one -

I haven’t taken it the wrong way, I don’t fancy paying a visit to A&E if it can be avoided I am sure when i go off roading there are bound to be people at the event willing to give me some advice on how to perform a safe recovery.

so you think in stead of the ARB snatch strap i should get a 8m 24mm nylon rope instead

Tom

I take loads out when I go laning, but I must say that the single most useful recovery item I take is a simple spade! It probably sees the most action anyway. I've had to build up my recovery gear mostly while at university (only got 6 months to go!) so I've had to do it on a very limited budget.

If I had to prioritise a beginners shopping list of kit, it would be as follows:

1. Gloves (heavy duty leather jobs)

2. Recovery points front and rear (jate rings are cheap and easy to fit)

3.= A rope or long strop (8m or longer).

3.= 2 good sized (tested) bow shackles.

5. Spade

6. 2nd-hand tirfor hand winch off ebay

7. Ground anchor

8. Jack

The big step up has to be a powered winch (priority 9!). I've not found the loot for one yet, and my current kit seems to get me out of most trouble.

All that said, the most important piece of recovery kit is .... your mate in a vehicle that isn't stuck that also has suitable recovery points fitted.

All that said, the most important piece of recovery kit is .... your mate in a vehicle that isn't stuck that also has suitable recovery points fitted.
- Yep. Totally agree ;)

Tom -

what I was getting at is that a kinetic rope / strop can be very dangerous in inexperienced hands (although I guess the same could be said for most recovery equipment - winch/hilift etc ) They're excellent bits of kit used correctly though.

Just my personal observation this - and I reeallly don't want to come across as patronising here - but I'd suggest that if you are new to off-roading, you need to learn the basics first before you start down the line of snatch recovery. Save your money and get yourself a decent nylon rope and a couple of shackles and go from there. Try and hook up with a few people who go out regularly and watch how it's done. I'm sure that almost anyone on this forum would be willing to turn out with you and go over the basics. Look me up if you're ever down this way (Somerset) ;)

Cheers

Matt

Same offer here - if you're over Mid Wales/Shropshire way I'm happy to show you a few lanes. I don't have kinetic rope though so I can't show you how to use / not use it!

(I know it says Worcestershire on my details but I'm moving in January, near Telford/Shrewsbury)

Thanks for the offers showing me "how the pros do it" and I would like to take you up on those offers but it will have to be in June / July, give me time to get my 90 up to scratch and stock up on recovery equipment.

Thanks for all of the advice Tom