Hawse fairleads

Mark90

What's better Ali or Stainless? and why?

Just curious really, Tonks dealings got me thinking about 'em.

It's alright Les I'm not starting another thread about hawse for any other reasons :unsure:

Ali when the rope is wet, and in sand will "Cut", and Hawse becomes ready for the bin....

SS is a PITFA to work, is horribly expensive and bending it into "Nice" loops is a load more work / difficult than ali.

Thats why SS ones are normally expensive (frankly Tonks are silly-cheap IMHO) and Ali ones are the norm....

When you use a SS one and have a rop and sand and wet, all that happens is the SS gets polished :lol:

Prob with Tonks I bet is he will get fed up being a "Production Line" and will do so many and then be sick of the site of them........ :)

"Buy now whilst stocks last"

Nige

I've got alloy because it looks prettier :D

mmhawse.jpg

winch3.jpg

something about milled alloy that is just ... ooh ... excuse me I have to go to the lavatory :wacko:

Aaah that's better :)

Also I seem to remember the stainless ones are about twice the price and as far as I could see the only real advantage was that they don't wear as quick in high angle pulls, which are not the sort of pulls I do (not a mark on mine from the rope, so far) most of my winching is pretty much straight ahead.

Confirmed my thoughts.

durable, bling and expensive SS verses cheap, chearful and not so durable ali

I don't really think weight saving is a consideration of mine when it's to be bolted to a 50kg bumper :rolleyes:

Reckon I'll probably just stick with the ali one I have sitting in the garage, probably :unsure:

Ali when the rope is wet, and in sand will "Cut", and Hawse becomes ready for the bin....

SS is a PITFA to work, is horribly expensive and bending it into "Nice" loops is a load more work / difficult than ali.

Thats why SS ones are normally expensive (frankly Tonks are silly-cheap IMHO) and Ali ones are the norm....

When you use a SS one and have a rop and sand and wet, all that happens is the SS gets polished :lol:

Prob with Tonks I bet is he will get fed up being a "Production Line" and will do so many and then be sick of the site of them........ :)

"Buy now whilst stocks last"

Nige

prolly couldn't put that better myself :D

most ali ones are priced at 40 quid give or take, and will wear, if u can get a stainless one for the same money which doesn't wear, is there much of a decision to make?

This press release landed on my PC yesterday.

"With the ever-increasing popularity of synthetic winch ropes, it is important to make sure that your winch and accessories are in good condition.

It is widely known that roller fairleads can cause damage to synthetic ropes, and our experience in recent times has shown that due to grit and mud in the rope, aluminium fairleads will quickly wear presenting potentially dangerous edges where the rope runs.

After much research, Devon 4x4 has developed a tough Stainless Steel fairlead. Using high-nickel, 316 marine-grade stainless steel, the D44 fairlead not only looks superb on the vehicle, but also has exceptional wear characteristics meaning that your fairlead will last much longer and your ropes will be safer from harm.

Following extensive testing, the D44 fairleads are now in stock and available to fit all Warn Winches. Price £75 plus vat"

I've got a pretty pic of said shiny item but posting pics on here is beyond me. :huh:

An earlier post commented on the difficulty of bending stainless. When D44 say 'after much research' they aren't lying. I've seen their scrap pile!

Kev

Most of we know that aluminium is softer so will wear quicker but how many ali ones can you buy for the price of 1 stainless steel one?

I am wondering if another consideration is wear to rope - does stainless, being harder, wear the rope more than aluminium so you need to factor in the cost of replacing rope?

How about fitting a sheet of something, say aluminium, a few mm thick to the front of the fairlead that acts as a sacrificial front face that is replaced as it wears out? Probalby a bit chepaer than replacing the whole failread? Or even stainless?

Most of we know that aluminium is softer so will wear quicker but how many ali ones can you buy for the price of 1 stainless steel one?

errrrr, one :rolleyes:

I am wondering if another consideration is wear to rope - does stainless, being harder, wear the rope more than aluminium so you need to factor in the cost of replacing rope?

i'd say the other way round, once an ali one starts to wear it could become rough so could damage rope, stainless doesn't wear so remains smooth.

How about fitting a sheet of something, say aluminium, a few mm thick to the front of the fairlead that acts as a sacrificial front face that is replaced as it wears out? Probalby a bit chepaer than replacing the whole failread? Or even stainless?

its not the front face that wears, its the slot

I was lucky to be the one of the first crews to test certain winch lines and fair leads options

Many Moons ago.. :rolleyes:

And there where no ali fairleads available, so we made ali ones.

These where seen by certain people and the rest is history.

But we also learnt very quickly that the alloy wears very fast

This nearly cost me a winch, as the grooves had widened so much that the drum walls stretched putting massive pressure on the main casing :blink:

So i only use stainless now :P

Seen Simons (Devon) latest offering, and it is lovely.

Another friend of mine is trying something a bit different

Nylon, Yes nylon.

And so far it works very well.

I'll keep you posted.

Jim :)