Freelander Shell onto Discovery Chassis?

Mark

is this the sort of thing you're after?

4 door freelander dropped onto a 3.9v8 rangie chassis and air suspension fitted all round.

i quite like it, not too sure about the stupid bit airfilter - but the rest is ok.

29042008518.jpg

I'm in love with this thing :o

Great idea. Looking forward to see more of your project, Mark

Im definately considering it, something like the gold one pictured. I need to know how much savagery is required as it will be a dd. Registration is in QLD, Australia , and there are engineering guidelines that make things difficult, and some that may stop the project dead. Basically Im trying to note all the major changes/conversions to ensure my engineer won't tell me its unregisterable after im done.

Cheers!

I've seen Suzuki sierra on a Nissan GQ chassis in QLD (the white Maxxis one) so I see no reason why a freelander on a Rangy chassis is any different

• 1 month later...

When I last spoke to Chris, he was somewhat more advanced than me in his project, but i haven't heard from him recently to see if he has progressed.

Personally I have made little progress, for various reasons, but I hope to have the shell attached to the chassis by the end of the month. I have spent this evening stripping the dash from the shell, as I need to cut a large hole in the bulkhead to get the engine in!

Mine dosn't look too much different from the picture I posted above, but I have been progressing with small stuff... repairing the chassis and such like...

When there is something significant to show, I'll post up a few pictures ;)

Incidentally, I will need a set of tyres for this truck fairly soon (so I can work out just how much arch to chop out) so I am after a decent set of simex Jungle Trekker 2's in 34x10.50x16 if anyone has some kicking around....

Cheers

Mark

Mark - sorry not been on recently - have now got the engine running - am using the original Freelander wiring loom and 1.8 engine ecu to overcome immobiliser so that the key will crank the v8. Done exhaust, cooling and steering pipes. Car will be LPG so no fuel tank. Will try to post some pics in the next day or so.

Regards Chris

• 2 months later...

As I warned before, progress is slow, as it needs to fit in wih a lot of other stuff....

Anyway, a couple of pictures, just to keep people interested...

This is about where it's up to...

gallery_92_897_33998.jpg

gallery_92_897_13644.jpg

chassis is shorter and repaired where the rust had taken hold:

gallery_92_897_27593.jpg

gallery_92_897_19751.jpg

gallery_92_897_26261.jpg

and the shell has lots of holes in it...

gallery_92_897_83230.jpg

gallery_92_897_59138.jpg

gallery_92_897_60207.jpg

At some point I will make some more progress, but it's a bit stalled at the moment while I sort some other stuff out, go to the states, and try and afford some new wheels and tyres!

Cheers

Mark

• 3 months later...

I have had several people contacting me saying they are attempting a similar project, so I thought it would be time from an update....

Having got to the point you can see in the posts above, I got the shell sat on the chassis, pretty much as low as I could get it. Unfortunately this was still way too high for my liking, even having modified the shell to go round the obstructions on the chassis, it still sat too high, and left a massive gap between the top of the wheel and the arch. There is an article in LRM this month about someone else doing something very similar, but with the shell sat even higher, and I think it looks awful - and really confirmed that I was right to stop at this point.

My original aim was to try and make the truck look as factory produced as possible, to produce a practical off road toy, rather than a dedicated challenge/race truck, and the more I progressed the further away I got from this idea I got.

So, I have now scrapped this build - the original discovery is mostly gone, but the freelander shell is still around if anyone wants a slightly chopped about 3 door shell - I will be dismantling this as soon as it warms up enough to work outside though.

I now have a load of suplus bits, which need to go - so watch the for sale forum if you haven't already.

Please don't let this put of anyone else trying to so down this route - I found it didn't achieve what I wanted it to, but you have to try to find out these things ;)

Interestingly I picked up 6 Disovery3 Front wheel arch spats to use as arch extensions. They actually look really neat on the freelander shell, are about the right height to sit in the moulded recess, but are ~36" across at the bottom (as opposed to less than 32" of the originals). If someone doing this sort of conversion can make use of them, let me know and we can come to a deal.

Cheers

Mark

Ross,

I made the decision a while before I saw that article, but it does go so far as to vindicate that decision.

My intention was to treat it like a body swap - the fact that the new body had an id of it's own was immaterial - the original Discovery ID would be used, as it maintains all the original chassis, drivetrain, suspension and steering under the points system. The only sticking point was to be the chassis modifications - which were to be limited to removing the overhand at the back, and providing a new crossmember as well as the new body mounts. This would be no different to building a Tomcat, for example, so I had planned to go down the same route - that is, take the vehicle for a VIC check, and then get the opinion of the inspector as to whether it needs to go through the SVA/IVA process. It would have been built to pass an SVA anyway, but that was the plan...

Cheers

Mark

from the pics you put up mark, can you not just cut right up the b/head and along the outside of the disco/rr chasis rails and cut the rear arches up the same amount then allow the freelander to sit deeper into the disco/rr chassis and secure the body to the rail sides rather than the top. i see what you mean by lowering it as low as it could go, i think perhaps on the freelander pictured, the chassis must have been cut and the whole rail heaight lowered or the floor was raised inside the freelander chassis to take this into acount. i know this is not waht you wanted to do, but unless you do that or allow more protrusion into freelander chassis, i cant see it lowering far enough either. very interesting read, shame you dont bite the bullet and go for it on the freelander though, but someone might buy it form you as is, so understand you could get some money back buy doing nothing else to it... real shame.

richard

• 1 month later...

Hi Mark I'm thinking about going down the same route and sticking a 3dr Freelander shell onto my 300tdi Auto (With A/C) chassis and just wondered if you have any more pics of the one you where doing? or if you could give me some advice/ steer me in the right direction!!!

any advice/Help would be greatly recieved.

Cheers Pete :D

Hi Mark

i just wondered if I was to go ahead what the best way to mount the two together? I was planning on keeping the A/C by trying to source a ES model or similar. As I have a diesel would it be best if I try to find a dead Td4? (electrics)

Cheers Pete

• 9 months later...

Hi Guys I am new here. I found the forum because I am starting my freelander project. At the beggining should be just a camel trophy replica but I am enjoying the idea to give a little bit of pepper to it. Then I am searching more information about how to make it a off roading car. Then the idea do transplant the freelander shell to a discovery chassis is making me think a lot about how to do it.

Anyone have more updates for that? My doubt is about the console inside. Because the shfting gear handknob doesnt have too much space and myfreelander is manual and I would like to keep it manual. So, anyone have an idea how to fit the handknob for the low gears in the console? cheers