29 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best version

• 2 door classic V8
    • 4 door classic V8
    • 4 door classic diesel
    • P38
    • New shape range rover
    • New range rover sport

With all this talk of P38's and that new BMW derived drugdealer wagon thing, i feel the need to upset the apple cart and suggest that the classic is a more useable car in regards to reliability and running costs.

Mine is a 1984 classic with 3.9 on carbs, manual gearbox and 2" lift.

Only had to replace the fueltank, waterpump, fuelpump, fuel-filler cap, tailgate but it now works!

I still rather do all that than sit watching an in car computer screen telling me that the mortgage money pride and joy isn't going to make it home without the men in florescent coats.

Cant imagine a L322 breaching the Darian Gap can you??? Would you trust the reliability to drive one through Africa?

I do appreciate the engineering in the new rangies but i cant help thinking that they have slightly missed the point with it. What do you think? I also have been led to believe that the parts arent up to the job on road let alone off it.

Have landrover built a bone with the L322?

rr2.jpg

1970RangeRover100.jpg

RangeRover23.jpg

281.jpg

I voted for the P38a, owning 2 of them. :ph34r:

I must admit I think the 2 door classic is the prettiest, but the P38a is even more comfortable and a great compromise between a daily drive and an offroader.

It's a bit bigger and more complex, but still has a lot in common with the original, unlike the L322 or RRS.

How can LR have missed the point with the newer RR's?

the classic evolved into a luxury offroader, just because you can buy 6 for 20p

doesn't mean it isn't. If you are going to compare them you have to compare them when new.

And how many of us have even bought a new classic.

The next gen of RR's are a natural evolution from where the Classic left off.

Not liking a car because of it's styling doesn't mean it still isn't fullfilling it's market

segment. There really aren't any other vehicles that can compare with the current generation

of RR's in terms of luxury and ability. However styling isn't a neccesity for that.

But if you want to compare them as they are now, then I think the P38 wins.

The 1 drawback of the Classic was it's ability to rust, the P38 seems to have almost

solved that problem. It's also more luxurious, more refined, more spacious and I think

it is still user friendly for DIY servicing.

I would definitely agree about the P38.

I am not commenting on the styling of the new shapes, I do like them and wouldn't object to one in the least.

I just think it is a shame that there seems to be a lack of build quality (in the drivetrain and electrics) that puts me off.

I am not suggesting that we should stick to the stone ages of carbs and half a yard of electrical wiring but it certainly isnt as good long term as the new disco 3. (or a landcruiser :ph34r: )

Well words fail me.....................

How the f'k do you compare a push along mower with the latest electric start ride on tractor mower ? how do you compare a wheel barrow with a with a 6 wheel drive dump truck............. cos that is what you are trying to do............... :rolleyes:

The early classics were unreliable, noisy, and primitive, but had good handling for their era.............the P38 was less primitive but had a lot of shoddy unproven technology...........The latest Range Rovers are state of the art machines that are refined, reasonably reliable, etc, etc ...................... and i would f'kin expect them to be after 30 years plus practice at getting it right :rolleyes: ........................you cannot compare apples with banana's.

Anybody that decides a 25 - 30 year old RR is 'better' than an L322 or a Supercharged RR sport has a definite problem with the grey matter :rolleyes:

Its much the same as folk that go to great lengths to tell you the old BMC Austin Severn's and Mini's are 'better' than the BMW version.......... well, I used to race them and a road going BMW cooper straight out the show room would out perform any of our racers of the earlier era.............. and the BMW Cooper S is a real pocket rocket .............. we used to tune the A series to little over 100 ponies ....................... cooper S is 200 straight out of the box with handling to match................how can anybody say old technology is 'better' ?

You cannot compare anything from different era's ............ its not apples with apples...................... so I guess you are now going to tell me that your Sinclair Spectrum ZX was much 'better' than your 2 gig desktop of today ...................... and where was your laptop 25 years ago...................... ?

Sorry but IMHO ......... the poll is a waste of effort ;) ..................... no, I have not voted :lol:

:)

Ian

FFS Ian,

You've just ruined this thread :(

I was in the very very final stages of swapping a shed of a non running "classic" 78 2 door snotter with 3 flat tyres and a broken gearbox with him for a new RR Sport.

I'll be sueing you of course now - I have no options left :angry:

Nige

for me P38´s are the last "heavy duty" rangie built ,even with all the electronics gadgets ,but ,in these days a 10 years old P38 (in my case) has a considerable amount of problems every month ,at least one "xxxxxxx fail" ,every month my range (p38) goes to the mechanic ,never with a big failure (overheated or no air in the EAS) ,the point is,it needs a lot of attention......so,i cant imaging how complicated is going to be living with a brand new (in these days) range rover in a few more years ,maybe the nintendo generation mechanics can deal with these complex electronic monsters

NOTHING compares with a 2 door Rangie or a 80´s 4 door,to be honest my first choice of a classic Landy was a petrol 1977 Series III, but then i bought a wrecked 1979 Rangie,2 door (for a single person is perfect) noisy and "shacking" V8 ,coils ,and disc brakes ,is bigger than a series and has the same comsuption of petrol.......and goes faster than a series hehehe

i tested a few brand new landys (R/R ,sport ,TDV8-6 etc etc ) amazing cars i must said,really

in 20 years more ,ill be driving my children in.........the classic rangie,no matter if it is only for going to church on Sundays , still is going to be a classic :D

Cristian

(P.S sorry for the gramaticals errors) :blush:

well it is nice to see that the thought police have once again stuck their opinions in.

Every forum i have been on has a couple of massive thread count armchair experts. Clearly they have been drawn like flies to a **** to a thread that they dont agree with.

Thank you for proving a point!

May i suggest that you stop writing so many negative replies to peoples ideas and get out once in a while....

love you all

signing off