Winch Challenge Points System

Ian M

:rolleyes: im confused, can someone explain how the amount of points you get for each punch is calculated with the more people that collect that punch? :unsure:

Looks pretty simple, I think (if ya talking about the 4x4adventures system) Each punch is worth 200 points divided by the number of people that get the punch down to a minimum punch score of 10 points. Thats the way it looks if you work it back from the results sheets. so 1 person gets a punch its 200 points, 2 get its worth 100 points, 3 get its worth 66 points and so on.

If you mean the system where the points go down with each person who gets the punch then it's simple:-

All punches start at lets say 200 points, if one team gets the punch then it will stay at 200 points.

If 2 teams get the punch then the points are halved between them so each team gets 100 points.

If 3 teams get the punch then the points are split 3 ways so they each get 66.66 points.

If 30 teams get a punch then the points would be down to 6.66 so a lower limit of say 20 points is set, no punch will go below 20 points no matter how many teams get it.

This system was originally intended to make punches self leveling, ie. if it is a hard punch then the points stay high, if it's easy then the points go low. This system does away with any arbitrary way of assigning points to punches.

I think its an excellent way of scoring , Most events in the past have offered 100 points per punch for example , Not many people would commit to the harder punches as they were worth the same as a simple easy one .

This way you are rewarded for your efforts and Its a thinking mans game to a certain extent , Pick 5 hard punches that only you get and you have netted 1000 points . When you could do 10 easy ones that 3 others got and only have 500 points .

Although when you are in a larger numbered class the chances of getting max points for a punch are slim . but it works for all .

Seems like a good sytem of awarding points...... Simple & fare.

My local clubs points system that they may be bringing in, is surely the worst points awarding system. I have been told by the club chairman that our winch challenge series points sytem will soon include a 150 points for every driving day attended. Has any body heared of this method of scoring.

Adrian

So you get points for attending other club events? Sounds daft to me. What is the Christmas party worth?

Chris

Edited to add: So, if I were to attend club events in preference to spending time with my family, what would a divorce be worth? Tell the chairman that I think his idea sucks.

Blame Mr Watts :ph34r: (GBMUD)

But a good system,, never the less :lol:

Thanks for the accolade but in fact it has little to do with me. The system was originally described to me by Paul Wightman who got it from a competition he entered - Club off-road? When I helped Paul to put on a few events at Slindon we wanted to use this system to set the level of points for punches - as described above, to make difficult and time consuming punches worth more than the easy ones but to make the punches difficulty self selecting, rather than for us to put an arbitrary figure on the value/difficulty of any given punch.

In order to make our lives easier come adding up time, I asked my computer (Excel) literate wife if she could make up a spreadsheet to do all the maths dynamically and save a lot of adding up and long division on paper. She made up the spreadsheet and it has been shared from there.

Once the team names are entered in the spreadsheet, one simply enters a marker (the number 1) under each punch number collected by each team and the maths does itself as the spreadsheet is populated. The whole thing can take as little as 10 to 15 minutes to produce results for a 20 car event, depending on how muddy/easy to feel the punch cards are.

Chris

As all above is the system i use with thanks from Chris' better half and Nick and Paul for putting the whole thing together.

it means you get rewarded for spending time on harder punches and if your not going to get all the punches it brings in a tactical level to think through as well. do you do the hard ones or lots of easy scoring ones or a few hard ones then just make sure you punch all the others ones that have been done by people in your same class.

the punches decrease with value per class on my events. The combined score sheet put each class on the same playing field and they decrease as any vehicle regardless of class gets them.

So do you get points just for turning up and driving round the car park?

I think this to be the case.

More points if you drive about a bit, a few off if you get stuck? :unsure:

Dont think you getany extra points for turning a wheel.Im just going to sit there & watch everybody else break their trucks for an 150 points

Adrian

I have been told by the club chairman that our winch challenge series points sytem will soon include a 150 points for every driving day attended. Has any body heared of this method of scoring.

Adrian

I guess the logic in this is to encourage you to turn up for as many events as possible and also, if you break down early in the day :( which does happen in my limited experience, at least you get something for your trouble :P .

As all above is the system i use with thanks from Chris' better half and Nick and Paul for putting the whole thing together.

it means you get rewarded for spending time on harder punches and if your not going to get all the punches it brings in a tactical level to think through as well. do you do the hard ones or lots of easy scoring ones or a few hard ones then just make sure you punch all the others ones that have been done by people in your same class.

the punches decrease with value per class on my events. The combined score sheet put each class on the same playing field and they decrease as any vehicle regardless of class gets them.

Good system for ensuring that each punch self regulates it real value to a degree.

This however does not reflect the true value when you factor in the hide and seek element to your scoring.

IE. if you stumble across a easy punch that no one else manages to find then you get top score for not much driving/ winching skill.

I took part in the AROC punch challenge and every entrant had their own marshal with a map of where every punch was locatad with its value.

the values ranged from 200 to 700 and were graded according to skill required to achieve it. Classes were set to give all a chance and each team had to start at their designated punch, after which you chose your next test by availability and or value. this event was purely about skill and not who was best at finding hidden punchs.

It seems to me that if you set different classes in order to level the event for all, Also eliminating the hide and seek part of it will allow competitors

to tactically decide which to do or not as opposed to spending the day just trying to find the punches.

Having said that I think James events are great and well run.

but luck does play a big part IMHO

Good system for ensuring that each punch self regulates it real value to a degree.

This however does not reflect the true value when you factor in the hide and seek element to your scoring.

IE. if you stumble across a easy punch that no one else manages to find then you get top score for not much driving/ winching skill...... ....Also eliminating the hide and seek part of it will allow competitors

to tactically decide which to do or not as opposed to spending the day just trying to find the punches.

Having said that I think James events are great and well run.

While they are not mapped, James does not exactly hide the punches, does he - white tape round the tree is pretty visible, do you want dancing girls and flashing lights? They are set in areas, all in sequential order so if you miss a punch then there is only really one guy at fault IMHO.

I do agree though, if it were a 'hunt the punch' event then it would not necessarily be a wholly fair system - though it would score the better hunters higher...

Chris

While they are not mapped, James does not exactly hide the punches, does he - white tape round the tree is pretty visible, do you want dancing girls and flashing lights? They are set in areas, all in sequential order so if you miss a punch then there is only really one guy at fault IMHO.

I do agree though, if it were a 'hunt the punch' event then it would not necessarily be a wholly fair system - though it would score the better hunters higher...

Chris

Hi Chris,

As said, I think James events are great and well run. and with the extras you are suggesting :o

you can keep the dancing lights, but the flashing girls....much harder to pass on :rolleyes:

Seems like a good sytem of awarding points...... Simple & fare.

My local clubs points system that they may be bringing in, is surely the worst points awarding system. I have been told by the club chairman that our winch challenge series points sytem will soon include a 150 points for every driving day attended. Has any body heared of this method of scoring.

Adrian

Could be interesting if some one who attended every event but never got out the carpark won overall at the end of the year due to other competitors being unable to attend various events!.