Steering Problems

Hi Guys,

i bought my 1988 90 200tdi 2 weeks ago, and find steering very vague.

At standstill the play in steering wheel is 3-4 inches to left and to right and when driving i can turn the wheel nothing happens initially then when turned enough it seems to over steer.

I was expecting some play in steering due to age etc but find this dangerous.

Any ideas with what to look for ????????

I have tried searching the forum but cant find anything.

Cheers

Ally

Not sure if this is the right answer, but the common theme is "vague". For my MOT they needed to put a new rod or something in and it was suggested if I felt the steering vague to look for the sort of S shaped rod that goes from the PAS unit to the steering and there is apparently a huge nut there that might need re-clinched up tight. No torque was suggested but the expression "bloody big spanner" and "bloody tight" sounded suitably technical.

No doubt someone will come up with another suggestion but this might be worth looking at.

Best wishes

Malcy

Ally, on top of the steering box is a large nut in the centre is a allen key [hex socket] adjuster, slacken the nut by 1/2 turn & tighten the adjuster slightly [say 1/2 turn] then retighten the large nut while keeping the adjuster still, then do a road test & see if the excess play has gone.

Before you go too far get someone to turn the wheel from side to side just far enough to take up the play "loose movement" while you get underneath, (ENGINE OFF, PARKING BRAKE ON) try to see where the play is it could be anywhere from the steering wheel to the road wheel and there are many parts which could be worn, sounds like the steering box which does have a bit of adjustment on it but with the play you describe it coud be too worn, the information will be on the technical forum.

Ally, on top of the steering box is a large nut in the centre is a allen key [hex socket] adjuster, slacken the nut by 1/2 turn & tighten the adjuster slightly [say 1/2 turn] then retighten the large nut while keeping the adjuster still, then do a road test & see if the excess play has gone.

This is exactly what I did when I got the vague play on the steering. Do as Western says!! :rolleyes:

I am surprised you can't find any info from doing a search as this is very common problem.

There are plenty of things to check, all of which will contribute to vague steering, one alone is enough to make the steering poor but if you have two or more then it can make the steering feel totally unresponsive.

Worn steering-box, drop-arm ball-joint, TRE'e, steering column UJ's, swivel-bearings, suspension bushes etc, get someone to move the steering from side to side then inspect each item one at a time. Luckily most components are relitivley cheap & easy to replace.

When you have identified & replaced the worn component(s) you should find the steering is tight & responsive, ignore anyone who say that all LR's have vague steering and lots of free-play at the wheel is the norm as that is only if it isn't in satisfactory condition and they can't be bothered to sort it out.

Great found movement in panhard bush, taken it off burnt old rubber off and all old parts cleaned out of the hole.

I have a new bush for it. Is there an easy way to get new one back in? or shall i buy polly bushes?? How much will it cost to get garage to press it in??

I will check out steering box and rest of things as steering was really poor.

Cheers for help

Ally

Whatever you do dont hammer it in! Made that tragic mistake today, went in fine til about halfway, and then the metal started to shrink over the top of the rubber.

Im also interested in what others do to get those damn things in, I did see a method described here http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...nhard+rod\ which looked quite good. I was thinking instead of the washers at the top, to use a socket that bears on the outer edge only, what do people think? I read les etc use a vice to press them in, do you put a socket on the outer edge of the bush for that method?

I don't think Machinemart do a decent vice :(

Clean the hole with emery cloth/wet & Dry, and apply grease to it. Also grease the outside of the new bush and make sure it goes in dead square. If it's off-centre, the bush will just crush and you'll have to get another. A garage will only charge about £10 to do it for you.

Les.

My local independent LR garage charged me £5 to remove the old sleeve and refit a new bush. IMHO this is the best option when you do a cost/benefit analysis of knackered bushes vs money saved. :)

I agree with Les that a cheap vice will not suffice and will be false economy. Keep an eye on the local paper/ebay etc. for a second hand quality vice in your area. IIRC I got 2 big old quality 'Record' vices for £15 or so.

Chris