Axle search....

SeriousIIa

I just pick em up at sodbury and the like - they're only standard LWD front shafts - cheap as cheaps. Just make sure you check the splines on em when you pick em up casue I've seen a few with very badly worn splines.

No idea where to buy em from new casue i've never bought a new one!

Jon

I too have never bought new ones, but I have broken a couple of poor quality, aftermarket halfshafts (even 24 spline ones!!!).

I would buy genuine if they aren't too expensive. Another idea may also be to contact a company like moser in the US, to see if they can make some. I know they are making 24 spline halfshafts, don't know if they have ever made front UJ rover shafts though?

Sorry, but a locker is harder on the drivetrain than driving unlocked - especially on things like front axle CVs or UJs. That is the reason that all Maxi-Drive lockers come with upgraded halfshafts.

Hmmm.....not 100% agree or disagree here, its down a bit to the driver.

But

An unlocked diff with one wheel spinning V fast coming into contact with the ground can blow either diffs halfshafts or both, whereas a locked diff means you don't have to rev the N*ts off and have wheels spinning etc, so can be stronger / better traction.

However, rev the N*ts off a locked diff and BANG, as is also the case if you try harder and get further with a locked diff, BANG.

But, my point was if you try hard with an open diff, and find your doing severe damage then then possibly less effort and diff locks could help, same effort and diff locks will still see damage, if not more

Does that make sense ?

I have a headache now :lol:

Nige

Hmmm.....not 100% agree or disagree here, its down a bit to the driver.

But

An unlocked diff with one wheel spinning V fast coming into contact with the ground can blow either diffs halfshafts or both, whereas a locked diff means you don't have to rev the N*ts off and have wheels spinning etc, so can be stronger / better traction.

However, rev the N*ts off a locked diff and BANG, as is also the case if you try harder and get further with a locked diff, BANG.

But, my point was if you try hard with an open diff, and find your doing severe damage then then possibly less effort and diff locks could help, same effort and diff locks will still see damage, if not more

Does that make sense ?

I have a headache now :lol:

Nige

Maybe the experiences in driving in UK mud are different, but in Australia the opposite seems to occur. Someone who fits lockers generally will break more things if they keep their driving style the same (and all other things are equal). There are plenty of people with old rangies on 10 spline axles that have never broken an axle before fitting lockers, but afterwards start breaking axles all the time.

Think of it the other way, with a locker you are forcing the wheel to keep turning, even when it is up against a big rock, or wedged into a crevice - without a locker this wheel would stop turning. Also, on a front axle you are forcing the wheels to both turn at the same speed, which is very hard on the UJs/CVs.

I accept your argument with the shock loading from one wheel lifting and spinnig then coming back down, but I think that kind of scenario is not responsible for too much breakage - if you drive sensibly...

Now if fitting a locker means you can now idle through everything you previously had to use lots of right boot to drive through, then maybe you are right, but tlife isnt always like that.

Just to clarify the problems Tonk was having we eventually traced to the fact that casue he'd removed the steering lock stops completely the u/j's on full lock were actually binding up hence why they sheared.

He's since put the lock stops back on and has had no futher trouble.

If you use the 24 spline outers on a series front, then the weakest part is at the diff end, and I've seen a few shafts that are twisted at this end. Tonk's done one, but only with a twist in it. A mate has done a few on his muddler, but thats running V8, lockers and dumper tyres! Generally they twist rather than actually snapping.

We both looked into uprated ones, but as neither of us has had a major problem with fornt shafts, and standard inners are cheap and easy to come by we've not bothered. Rears are another story however.

We're both running the same shafts and ARB's front and rear, only difference is I'm on 33" grizzlys where he's on 34" jungles..........and he's the ruffarse!

Jon

Strange thing Jon,

my standard 24 spline shafts kept breaking at the diff end every other event (broke 4 or 5 till I swopped to TIC, onmly broke one of those in 10 events....) So got more thrust in the upgraded shafts.

You are all probably right about eliminating the weak diff by a locker...... But probably should buy one in the back first ;)

Cheers Bowy

Maybe the experiences in driving in UK mud are different, but in Australia the opposite seems to occur. Someone who fits lockers generally will break more things if they keep their driving style the same (and all other things are equal). There are plenty of people with old rangies on 10 spline axles that have never broken an axle before fitting lockers, but afterwards start breaking axles all the time.

Think of it the other way, with a locker you are forcing the wheel to keep turning, even when it is up against a big rock, or wedged into a crevice - without a locker this wheel would stop turning. Also, on a front axle you are forcing the wheels to both turn at the same speed, which is very hard on the UJs/CVs.

I accept your argument with the shock loading from one wheel lifting and spinnig then coming back down, but I think that kind of scenario is not responsible for too much breakage - if you drive sensibly...

Now if fitting a locker means you can now idle through everything you previously had to use lots of right boot to drive through, then maybe you are right, but tlife isnt always like that.

Yes, UK mud is different. Slippy slidey its easy to get a wheel spinning and then when its dug through the mud and finds someting to grip on, bang! We don't get much dry grippy rock to play with but I guess the similar scenario ofr Auz would be having a whell ariborn and spinning before making contact with that nice grippy rock again. You can get away with a lot but as the wheels become bigger and heavier a different driing style is required to limit breakages. Would a locker help? In the mud it might well do.

what's wrong with limited slip then? saves 1 wheel from spinning, allows wheels to move at different speeds when appropriate.

What's wrong with it...

(1) nowhere near as good as a locker

(2) most systems use clutches which need special oil and wear down over time until you have an open diff again

(3) imho if you are going to fork out the money you may as well go all the way and get a locker

That said, some people in OZ have proven that traction control with limited slip centres can be a good combination.