putting a ball hitch on a NATO hitch

pugwash

Has anyone come up with a way of using a NATO hitch to attach a drop plate which a normal 50mm ball hitch can be bolted to?

basically i have a Nato hitch on the rear bumper and i dont want a permanantly attached ball hitch on the vehicle as well. What i do want is a quick removable ball hitch that uses the existing NATO hitch as the top mount of a drop plate. What i am envisaging is a plate that somehow affixes to the nato hitch and drops down below the rear bumper (to get the right height for towing) and then has two bars leading from the bottom of the plate back up to the chassis rails- these would have removable bolts in them so that whole lot would come off in seconds- ie undo 2 bolts at chassis, open up nato hitch, lift the whole hitch arrangement off and store.

I am presuming that a NATO hithc would be stronge enough for this (it is properly attached to the chassis with 8.8 bolts and spreader plates). Is there a reason why this setup would be a bad idea?

Does anyone have piccies that i could use for inspiration?

brilliant thanks Chris- I spent a while searching google but didn't come up with that link.

Muraz the problem with the dual hitches is that the NATO hitch is too high to tow anything apart from a sankey- not much good if you want to tow a normal trailer!

I've seen the plate with NATO eye used on some historic commercials / ex-military when towing caravans, etc to shows. Structurally it should be ok if you use a decent gauge plate (cue HFH) for the drop. NATO eyes can be purchased as loose item, just need a good welder to glue it all together. The trailing arms could be similar in concept to the lower arms of a 3-point link on a tractor, with a round bar across the drop plate, through the arms and held together with 'R' clips. Get the geometry right and the arms could tuck up to the chassis and clip in place when not in use.

More practical than a D-B adjustable drop plate / plough when off road, but probably not as stable as the D-B system for road use. Not sure how much the bottom of the NATO drop plate would move when subject to lateral loadings and the impact of this on trailer stability. If this is going to be used regularly then I would opt for the proven D-B system and get two saddles for NATO and ball hitches.

What you want is one of these

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=13421

can be a PITA to fit (as described!) but the quality of the product is excellent and I think it is the best all round solution to "I want a NATO and a ball hitch without having a drop plate on all the time" - it tows the Sankey at the right height, tows my twin axle Ifor Williams at the right height, and comes off in 15 seconds for maximum clearance off road.

Jim, what you need is something like this. Could be yours for a small consideration. You'd just need to make up some new stays.

Are there any insurance implications for a home-made arrangement like that?

It's a damn good idea but I just wonder what would happen if there was an accident while towing? :unsure:

Only post 1998 vehicles need type approved tow bars.

If you had an accident and it was shown that a poorly constructed tow hitch contributed then I guess you could be at fault just that same as with any modification.

If you get a normal drop plate and cut the back out so you are effectivley left with just the sides you can weld a bit of 2-3" OD tube in that will sit in the NATO hook.

IIRC there is a size of tube that is a very snug fit.

Will.

Pics as promised...

Drop plate is nicked off a 110 chassis, extra plate is welded into it meticulously, arms are from an early RRC tow bar, The bit that fits in the nato hitch is very snug and contrucuted from various bits of angle and flat iron forned into a round-ish shape.

It's a very sturdy bit of kit - has been called 'over-engineered' more than once. And is easily removeable for off roading purposes. I call it my 'parking sensor'.

post-904-1215117761_thumb.jpg

post-904-1215117773_thumb.jpg

post-904-1215117782_thumb.jpg

post-904-1215117789_thumb.jpg

The bit that fits in the nato hitch is very snug

On mine I welded (well I didn't actually weld it, I got a grown up to do it) some flat on top of the ring and then ground it down till it was a snug fit in the hitch. No clunk, and even without the stays it will not rotate.

• 7 months later...