where will it end.....!!

aaaaahhh -

it started on Tuesday with what should have been a simple front pad replacement.

That turned into a full caliper refurb and now -

post-9229-1215249740_thumb.jpg

How long before this destroys my seals? - I'm on a really tight budget and could do with another couple of months running :(

Dave.

(...)

How long before this destroys my seals? - I'm on a really tight budget and could do with another couple of months running :(

Dave.

I have seen people run them worse for several years...

However, you need to keep an eye on the fluid level in the swirvel box. Maybe replace with some moly-grease.

The seal can be replaced without disassembeling the whole swirvelbox - just unbolt the caliper and hang out of the way, then unbolt the swirvel assembly from the axle, and pull it out with stub axle. Then the new seal can be fitted easily.

The rust will wreck the seals, but it takes take to wreck them totally...

I have seen some swirvel balls "repaired" using two-component epoxy steel. One just need to make a decent surface finish - the seal dosent care wether is runs against chrome or epoxy.

Poohbear,

Empty the oil out and put a sachet of swivel grease in each side. This doesn't leak so easily and so will give your swivel a bit more life. You can get it from Paddocks or any of the independents.

Thus it's no longer the problem you thought it was :)

Mo

Really! That’s outrageous, I didn’t see it displayed as used! I must say Paddocks in general have gone down in my estimation and Cradock’s have risen although I think both of their websites are rubbish, they take ages to load, things seem to be in the wrong places and I can seem to make the search functions work as they should

Sorry didn’t want to hijack the thread

Really! That's outrageous, I didn't see it displayed as used! I must say Paddocks in general have gone down in my estimation and Cradock's have risen although I think both of their websites are rubbish, they take ages to load, things seem to be in the wrong places and I can seem to make the search functions work as they should

Sorry didn't want to hijack the thread

swivelball.jpg

Genuine Land Rover Early Defender Swivel Ball. Second Hand.

just look at the axle end & interior, a brand new swivel wouldn't be like that.

I've seen far worse run for years and years, just keep an eye on the levels.

Wherever you buy from, buy genuine. MM4x4 seem to be doing well for themselves at the moment, although for older parts Land Rover dealers can sometimes come up with a very good price for genuine gear.

Paddocks/Craddocks bashing & praise has been done to death in other threads, the short version is buying from either is a calculated risk of price/convenience versus likelihood of a f**kup.

Pooh bear, here in Malta, a lot of peple repair the swivels with chemical metal, sand them down, pop a new swivel seat and one shot grease and it will be as good as a new one...i've done mine six years ago...

If u don't want to see the chemical metal patches, then add some gaitors and protect them a little bit more.

Cu Luwts