old oil for chassis protecton?

what are your views on using old engine oil for rust protection in the chassis?

I have never heard of anyone doing that myself?? IMHO most landrovers have this built into them, A self chassis lubrication, Well they do if there over 10 years old anyway, You see they leak oil from rocker gaskets, Sump gaskets, Breather pipes and when you drive them it sprays all up the chassis :lol:

Seriously it sounds messy, And in the tech archive steve aka misreableoldgit has a neat method thinning down waxoyl etc to do the underneath which sounds very cost effective.

Kind regards tris

Old engine oil is not suitable for chassis treatment.

First there is the safety aspect. Old engine oil contains a lot of carcinogenic substances as well as

by products from th ecombustion process which turns the oil PH towards acidic.

Then there is the environmental impact. Old engine oil dripping on the road and being washed off

by rainwater. I am sure motorcyclists will love you.

Waxoil isn't that expensive, is designed for the purpose, and will last more than 1 drive on a rainy day.

First there is the safety aspect. Old engine oil contains a lot of carcinogenic substances as well as

by products from the combustion process which turns the oil PH towards acidic.

Then there is the environmental impact. Old engine oil dripping on the road and being washed off

Waxoil isn't that expensive, is designed for the purpose, and will last more than 1 drive on a rainy day.

What q-rover said, plus I believe you could get fined by the environment agency if they caught you polluting a river by laying an oil slick as you crossed a ford.

Old oil on the chassis doesn't last long anyway.

Most chassis' rust from the inside out so while it's important to protect the outside, it's doubly important for inside. A good jet wash inside the chassis and the a good dose of waxoyl should do the job :)

Mo

environmental concerns aside, i know somebody who has done this on every car they have owned, and they still have a couple of vehicles from the early 80s which are spotless (well rustless at least!!) so from what i have seen it does make a difference.

but i think waxoyl would be less messy considering the need to crawl under the damn things most of the time !

Yesa OiliT, I concur and have known similar aged road vehicles well preserved. Oil is sprayed into every steel cavity (operator should wear gloves!) or painted onto steel surface - and then left to drip dry overnight - on a surface where drips dont matter. Once dried you then don't get the problem of oil leaking from every orifice onto the highway. As for mess underneath the vehicle it really isnt all that bad. But actually applying it is fairly messy. I've used old tarpaulins before, but the problem is that you can't then use them for anything else as theyre pretty much covered.

However, the problem does arise if you bring the vehicle's chassis into contact with water courses offroad - you really shouldnt be using oil if you use your vehicle in such circumstances. So in summary I would say its ok for road and light offroad use ONLY.

As for waxoyl, I can't count the nuimber of rust filled cavities that I've seen filled with it. One school of thought used to say that it was ever any good for brand new steel - if any rust had already started it was said to not to be able to stop it. The devotees would probably say in the case I saw it was applied too late! On the other hand I should say that I have never seen an oil filled cavity with structural rot. You pays your money......

by products from th ecombustion process which turns the oil PH towards acidic.

Says it all except that old oil can rot some rubber components too.

Years ago I regularly sprayed old oil onto the undersides of some of the old crocks I owned but I wouldn't do it now.

Hmmm is it still not risky using it on the road?? I suppose if you leather it on it would dribble on the road, But what if you put a very light coat on, Then again how much protection will that give? I can imagine rain spraying under the landy and it still dripping on the road. Is waxoyl really so expensive? To be able to work clean without worrying about it dripping on the road when using the landy id just use waxoyl.

Tris