Rear wiper problems

My rear wiper doesn't work - it hasn't done since I've had it.

I put a meter on the motor - nothing. i put the meter on the switch - nothing.

Fuse is ok, what else could I check? Is this a common failure?

Thanks

either a duff switch or a stuck motor, at the hinge side find the rubber cable duct & the plug/socket check the continuity from switch connections to these & motor connection to them, if all fine the motor is dead.

Right on, Sam!

Mine hasn't worked either and have been loathe to post the question as there've been other, more oily and significant issues to ask about. Also didn't want tot get the "get a grown-up to help" response, which is never helpful. When wife returns, I'll give Western and LML's advice a go; good luck with yours!

Jon

ok, still no joy.

i've now got power to the motor but it's having none of it.

I removed the motor and dis-assembled it all. I see the two square pieces of copper have become dislodged. Where do they fit back in?

Could this be the cause of the problem, or could the motor be fudged? How can I tell?

Many thanks

post-9896-1215528635_thumb.jpg

post-9896-1215528649_thumb.jpg

Think you've got 'em the wrong way round mate, the springs should be on the inside of the brass channels and the copper bits touching the thing that goes in the middle (commutator?). That transfers the electrickery to the middle part, electricuting the wound wires and making it magnetic, this making it move.

Or sommit like that!

Edit to say : I've not actually taken one of these apart, so am prepared to be corrected...

cheers john, you're right. I've got it all back together in the correct order, with the brass square bits touching the inner round copper bit on the shaft. Still no joy. I can hear a very faint clicking when it's powered up, but there is no movement.

Oh well, now i'll have to track down another one :-(

Could be as Western said ^^^ that the brushes are worn out. If there's brown glaze on the contact surface (where it's worn to the shape of the spindle) then you could try roughing them up with some sandpaper to make a better contact, also on the spindle side (don't go too hard on that though otherwise you'll wear it away which isn't the idea).

The brushes will wear with time and are designed to be replaceable - not sure if you'll find any these days though, depends if you've got a decent auto-electrical place about (there's a great one in Redhill, manned by an old bloke in a green canvas apron, no till, not even a calculator, just a note pad, a well worn little chart he uses to work out the VAT and a wooden drawer with dividers to put the cash in!!).

Could try a main dealer if you fancy a laugh!!

John

Quick question: is changing the brushes likely to sort out my rear wiper problems - it won't self park now and keeps on moving even when it's turned off?

Steve

No. Your problem is much easier, just replace the selfpark switch on the motor gearbox. You might get away with cleaning the switch up.

My wiper has also never worked since my ownership of the vehicle. I have spent some time today trying to free it up as the wiper was stuck solid with the motor. Having freed it up, it still doesn't work. In the past I have tested current to the motor so this is not the problem. I also noticed that the housing of the motor seems to be missing some part. As it is, the housing has a large hole in the bottom with a dome shape leading up to it and two screw holes like something is meant to be attached, I am hoping someone can look at the pictures below and say if this is the case or not.

Wipermotor1.jpg

What are these two wires for?

Wipermotor2.jpg

Where should the movement for the wiper come from? The motor is not currently fixed because of the missing screws and revolves with the arm if it is turned unless held, but should the shaft appearing from out of the nut on the outside of the door revolve if it is powered normally, as the blade currently moves without this turning, and I am wondering if this means the link between motor and wiper is broken with the arm just being loose. Sorry to be untechnical in my description of things.

Wipermotor3.jpg