Painting wheels

v8bertha

I got a couple of new rims arriving immanently to replace the buckled and busted ones on the Camel :D . When I get them they will be black, so I'll be wanting to paint them. Would the panel care to offer an opinion of the best method for doing this?

I can leg it up to Halfrauds and get a couple of spray tins, but how will that cope with being thrown around and having tyres fitted (kinda essential!!). Alternatively should I look at having them powder coated? Will that provide a longer lasting rustproofed paint job?

Any other options?

All opinions gratefully recieved

Dan :)

I done a set of used rims i got about four years ago, quick rub down and about 4-5 layers of spray on hammerite... Finnish was brilliant and now four years on they are about the same as any other four year old rims that have been powder coated if not better....

post-4890-1217261686_thumb.jpg

only recent pic i can find....

Hi Dan,

I found that a spray can doesn't go very far, and so I bought a tin of wheel paint (Standard land rover white wheels which I believe is derived from tractor paints) and using a small air compressor I thinned it down slightly and painted all four rims and still had loads of paint left. I primmed the rusty bits beforehand. The finished result looks pretty good.

All I've got to do now is the spare!

Steve

I would have thought a tin of sandglow and a 2" brush would be appropriate for the abuse you're going to give them on the 110 Dan....?

Can't see the point in spending a fortune on wheel painting to scratch them to death the first time you play in the mud.

YOIKS!!! How much :blink:

Ok, a very quick rethink here...

They are just steel rims and as Bish says they are going to get scratched to buggery the first time I stick it in a muddy hole!! :D:lol:

None of that fancy alloy stuff here ya know ;)

But thanks again for the info... it's worth bearing in mind for the future as they are so close :i-m_so_happy:

Dan :)

I did our Discovery steel rims in 5/6 coats of black spray Hammerite and it worked jolly well. I just roughed them up a bit with a whirly brish on the drill and sprayed away.

I have done the 110s rims in a similar fashion recently although I did them with the tyres still on so its not quite such a good job. Not that you would notice with the amount of muck the 110 seems to be permanently covered in :)

Will :)

I have just painted 5 modulars, they were very dirty but not rusty apart from the odd bit of surface rust.

I washed them with a hosepipe and then throughouly cleaned them with some pure alchohol and a white rag, however i did not 'rough them up'.

One coat of fast enamel aluminuim from manor paints in shiply and the result is one i'm more than pleased with.

I'm afraid the only pics show them mucky but you get the idea, until you get really close you cant tell they have been hand painted.

25072008531.jpg

25072008528.jpg

Will.