Which winch for a 110

Hi,

I need a new winch for my Def. 110 because I installed AC and the Warn X9000i I had does not fit any more since it rubs against the AC radiator.....

I am considering installing a low profile 9,000 or 9,500 winch. I will probably have to buy a new one since there are not many used ones around down here.

Price-wise Warn seems to be much more expensive than Ramsey or Milemarker for example.

Any thoughts whether the Warn winches are really much better to deserve this higher price?

What about Tabor, the cheaper warn product, are they any good. They cost about half of what a warn winch costs.....

Some people down here are buying cheap chinese winches........ :unsure::unsure:, they do not inspire much confidence to me. Any comments on these?

I use my winch around 5 to 6 times a year, not for competition, but I rely on it a few times a year when I travel on my own along lonely places with no possible assistance other than my winch and ground anchor so I want something reliable and strong enough to rescue a laden 110. By the way, I always carry and tend to use a pulley block.

I've had a Warn 8274 before an I love it but I've discarded it because I do not want to change my front bumper and restrict air flow.

Any comments/suggestions will be of help.

Cheers,

Santiago

Safe to say you can't go wrong with a Warn, but you'll pay the price.

As for alternatives, Milemarker is best known for their hydraulic winches, great stuff, but expensive and not as easy to fit. Could be a bit overkill for your use.

In the past I had a T-max and was very pleased with it. Good performance, reasonable price and never let me down. It's now being used by a good mate of mine, as I have upgrade to a fast hydraulic setup.

Superwinch also gets very good comments and the new Goodwinch TDS range is worth looking at as well.

Safe to say you can't go wrong with a Warn, but you'll pay the price.

As for alternatives, Milemarker is best known for their hydraulic winches, great stuff, but expensive and not as easy to fit. Could be a bit overkill for your use.

In the past I had a T-max and was very pleased with it. Good performance, reasonable price and never let me down. It's now being used by a good mate of mine, as I have upgrade to a fast hydraulic setup.

Superwinch also gets very good comments and the new Goodwinch TDS range is worth looking at as well.

as above the good winch tds is very good,same as the tds sold by champion winchs,except champion sell them for less!!!!!!!!!!

as above the good winch tds is very good,same as the tds sold by champion winchs,except champion sell them for less!!!!!!!!!!

The Goodwinch TDS has been waterproofed, and I understand that the chassis casting does not have the same internal drain/vent holes as the Champion.

Having seen one in action recently, that's wher my money would go if I didn't have an X9 already.

Matt

Bowyers' TDS are NOT the same as the Champion ones.

TDS would get my money for the amount of use and value for £££ you are after.

Maybe i missed something,, :unsure: Just change the bumper, for a A/Con version, may give you the extra room needed ??

Yes that would be my suggestion, most new winches on standard mounts will NOT fit with a/c fitted so you could buy a new winch and bumper and have the same problem...

The approach angle is pretty awful on the a/c winch bumpers though.

Yes that would be my suggestion, most new winches on standard mounts will NOT fit with a/c fitted so you could buy a new winch and bumper and have the same problem...

The approach angle is pretty awful on the a/c winch bumpers though.

I know a few guys who run lowline winches (with the relais mounted under the bonner) on standard winchbumpers but with AC. Approach angle still isn't great, but not as bad as with AC winchbumpers.

Maybe i missed something,, :unsure: Just change the bumper, for a A/Con version, may give you the extra room needed ??

:rolleyes::rolleyes: The thing is .......... the bumper i have is kind of special, home made (artesanal), aluminium alloy and it has a very very good approach angle so the first thing I thought when I sntalled AC and saw that the winch did not fit any more was: I will only fit a winch that fits with this bumper.........

Another thing: the AC I installed is aftermarket, not a LR equipment and it was fitted without changing the original non AC flat LR grille.

I will show with a couple of pics:

dsc01918nt2.jpg

dsc01917bumperns9.jpg

dsc01917ua4.jpg

Nevertheless, after your suggestions I re-measured everything and it seems that if I move the hole bumper forward 1.5 cms the X9000i winch would fit again..........so...

I don´t know...... :(:(:(

If you are worried about airflow, why did you fit a condensor infront of rad, I would have fitted a roof mount condensor assy. I have seen lots of people in OZ having to turn off aircon on beachs etc when vehicle ( not only LR) working hard

thats why I fitted RED Dot roof mount unit. I run 8274 not noticeable effect on engine cooling BTW . JMHO HTSH

Actually having seen the interior of several XD9000is looking a bit sad, I would probably use it as an excuse to flog it and get a TDS :)

Bogmonster: what I have not mentioned yet is that my XD9000i is broken!!!!!!

Yep I broke it (actually it broke, piece of cr....) the last time I used it so I am probably going to use it as another excuse to buy another winch.

Do you recon a Goodwinch TDS is a better winch than a Warn XD9000i?

I was considering a Warn low profile 9.5 XP. The reason for considering Warn more than Goodwinch is there is no Goodwinch distributor in Argentina while Warn does have an official dealer that imports spare parts, provides service, etc.....

I will travel to the US later during the year but I wonder how I can bring a new winch in my luggage :blink::blink: ????

I have not used one but I have yet to see a bad word said about the TDS while I think Warn are often over-rated and I have seen quite a few second class XD9000i winches in particular - solenoids, brakes and motors suffering from water/corrosion/seizing when they probably shouldn't have, i.e. in relatively normal use (not submerged in mud or anything).

If I wanted a new electric winch, I would get a TDS without a second thought based on what has been said about them, not least of which they seem to be strong, reliable and very good value compared to anything with a red W on it!

David Bowyer will post anything overseas with no problems at all and is a very helpful bloke, I have dealt with him several times in the past for bits and pieces and Dyneema rope. I don't think the lack of a distributor should be a particular concern.

Bogmonster,

Thans for your commnents.

".... I have seen quite a few second class XD9000i winches in particular - solenoids, brakes and motors suffering from water/corrosion/seizing ....."

Not surprisingly what you say above seems o be exactly the problem with my XD9000i, considering the amount of corrosion in the drum area I suspect water has found its way inside and has produced some damage :angry:

I will evaluate the Goodwinch TDS alternative in more depth.

Cheers,

SG