Workshop floor / concrete.

Astro_Al

I'd offer to help but I am a little too far away.

If you do have a load of helpers then make sure each person has a task and a responsibility and do a dry run of what you each need to do. It is no good asking the concrete to hang on for a mo while you discuss if the tamping board should be on it's side or on its edge. Use a board like a floor board to do the tamping and have it on edge.

Before tamping make sure that you push the concrete well into the edges of the working area to avoid voids and air pockets on the edges where it is most likely to crumble. Don't over do the floating, just enough to get a flat smooth surface and then leave it alone. If you over do the floating then you will raise all the water and cement to the surface and cause the surface to become soft and dusty.

If it is going off too fast don't be tempted to add water, it won't work. Concrete cures, it doesn't dry. It will continue curing in lumps in any water you add.

It is ok to scratch in the date in the corner for prosperity. It is not ok to let the dog walk across it for cute paw print effect.

The concrete will be hard enough to walk on by the end of the day but don't be tempted to try as you will break up the surface and any damage will continue to fall apart indefinately as tiny cracks in the curing concrete won't heal unlike limecrete. Leave it a good couple of days before investigating and maybe even a couple of weeks before putting any load on it. The concrete will be curing, and hardening, for a long time.

Have fun and a couple of beers after.

Guys, thanks a million for the advice and offers of help, and for the PMs people have sent.

If anyone thinks they can make it to within 5 miles of Winchester BEFORE the 9am concrete truck arrives (I'll have no time after that), then I'd defo appreciate any help I can get. Local pub shuts at 2pm. ;)

I can't provide any extra safety gear (maybe the odd pair of goggles, but not much). My mate and I are moderately able to keep it going until lunchtime. Any calories expended on our behalf would be great. Instruction / order-barking also good.

If anyone thinks they can realistically make it and 'wants' to help, thats really great. Please PM me and I will send you the details. I'll avoid PMing anyone who expressed interest as it seems a bit like the 'hard-sell', so I leave it to you.

Muchos gracias!

Al.

:)

I can make that date (will bunk off work :) )

Have you got a rake, shovel, concrete float/trowel ?

Pm me your address/postcode please.

Les.

Les, yeah, I'm tooling up this week.

Don't feel you have to bunk off work, you can come and fix my Freelander head gasket while you're around! :D

I'll bung you the details, much appreciated, Al.

A little progress... (Not enough!)

All tools / tables etc shifted to the far end, I'm now having a frantic digging session to get the dirt out of the channels. They are quite big.

post-139-1236431132_thumb.jpg

Had to hire a concrete breaker to get rid of some lumps of carp.

Got the damp proof membrane, sod the vibrating and the mesh. Got the battens (not up yet).

LOADS to do before Monday, so I'd better get back to it!

Cheers, Al.

P.S. - well what biccies DO you like Les?

Well, thats me done. I had to throw in the towel at 8:15 tonight, utterly knackered. Hope I get it all done tomorrow!!!

Night Train - no kidding. ;)

Thanks guys, yeah I like it :D

The bigger it is, the more work and money it takes though...

Bring on Tuesday!

Al.

I'm just imagining Astro Al with a pick and shovel filling blue rubble sacks from Wickes and wondering if he needs to buy another pack of them. ;)

I'm not looking forward to my little job of digging out and laying granite cobbles on my driveway, 4m x 15m of back breaking jigsaw puzzle.

The two are the same - it's just a 20 x 10 foot big shed with mains electric, 1 x 10 foot bench with 5" quick release Record engineers vice, 1 x 8ft steel topped bench with a crane (for axles, engines, gearboxes etc), 120 ft of 12"deep shelving, Mig and oxy welding gear, pillar drill, 4 x angle grinders, 6" bench grinder, 40-litre parts washer, sheet and bar steel storage racks, plus other goodies. I also have a 15ft x 8ft covered extension for other bits and pieces. I might extend it this year though - 50% bigger would be nice.

Les :)

Done!

B)

Finally finished off the digging last night at midnight. Damn near killed me.

Turned up this morning with a mate and started on the damp proofing and chopping out some old steel framework. Steve_d came along, and was promptly lumbered with putting up the battens double-quick-time.

The pump truck came and set up, while we decided we needed more batten material (great prep, Al...), so off I screamed to Jewsons when who should call but Les saying he's run out of fuel (blamed a crappy gauge - yeah right Les! ;) ). So I grabbed a tank of diesel and drove out to him, passing the workshop on the way only to see the first cement lorry in the driveway - Argh!!!

Thankfully Steve_d had done a sterling job on the battening and were able to start pumping the 'crete. Following that, lorries arrived at random intervals and everyone worked damned hard to keep up - barely time for a cuppa or hobnob, dammit...

All in all, once we got going it went very smoothly - the pace was a bit high, but it meant we could get to the pub for lunch and a pint afterwards!

Here is Steve, Les and my mate doing some tamping (ol' lazy-bones here was taking the pic ;) ) -

post-139-1236632714_thumb.jpg

Done, done and done:

post-139-1236632741_thumb.jpg

post-139-1236632792_thumb.jpg

Came out amazingly well, thanks to Les's expert tamping near the walls, and a great deal of effort all round. I'm really amazed at how much effort you guys went to, thank you so much. I would have been screwed without the help, thats for sure. :)

Anybody need a favour? I think I'm in serious favour-debt.

Cheers, Al.