Help Electrickery !!!!!!!!!!&#

Guys, my head now hurts.

A quick update, I have a ex mod 110 with a 200tdi with charging issues.

I have replaced the alternator and battery and still no charge!

I have a voltmeter function on my radio display which suggests the voltage output is almost nothing.

The symptoms started on the way to Billing when it was reading 15 - 16 volts on the way there and on the way back almpst nowt and the battery ran flat.

Sorry to ask for help but I am pulling my hair out!

Cheers

I can help a little with info guys....

Alternator new.. Installed last night.

Mark then tried another battery and got the same results. I don't know that much about either battery.

I'm assuming he has good earth because it starts fine when jumped.

Can I test the excite lead by running wire from battery live to the pole on the back of the alternator one the engine is running ?

If needed, I can run over with a known good bettery as well for another test.

Any more suggestions and thanks in advance ?

Neil

On a 200Tdi the starter has it's own earth.

It is not unknown for the alternator to be insulated from the engine by corrosion on the mountings. Try again with a jump lead between the alternator body and the battery neg. Check for continuity and good clean physical connection between the battery live and the starter solenoid and the solenoid and the live on the alternator. Check continuity on the battery light circuit.

Chris

Guys, my head now hurts.

A quick update, I have a ex mod 110 with a 200tdi with charging issues.

I have replaced the alternator and battery and still no charge!

I have a voltmeter function on my radio display which suggests the voltage output is almost nothing.

The symptoms started on the way to Billing when it was reading 15 - 16 volts on the way there and on the way back almpst nowt and the battery ran flat.

Sorry to ask for help but I am pulling my hair out!

Cheers

hi there you could see if the big brown wire from the alternator is connected also the small wire next to it only i had that happen to my it was the small wire that had broke

should be 2 thick earth cables

1 from battery -ve terminal to gearbox/transfer box joint bolt on left of vehicle

1 from power steering/alternator mounting bracket to the chassis part of the left engine mounting, so it jumps the rubber bush mount.

I have checked and tightened earths and I am now seeing 13.5v accross the battery is this ok? I thought it should be more like 14-14.5 thanks in advance chaps.

One other small issue(could be quite big actually) my water pump developed a leak and I overheated last month.

Water pump changed and refitted but I am concered all is not well as temp guage sits between half and three quaters and the coolant hoses feel very firm and bloody hot after a run of say 10 miles. I cant see ant water in oil or oil in water am I being paranoid. :ph34r:

I have checked and tightened earths and I am now seeing 13.5v accross the battery is this ok? I thought it should be more like 14-14.5 thanks in advance chaps.

One other small issue(could be quite big actually) my water pump developed a leak and I overheated last month.

Water pump changed and refitted but I am concered all is not well as temp guage sits between half and three quaters and the coolant hoses feel very firm and bloody hot after a run of say 10 miles. I cant see ant water in oil or oil in water am I being paranoid. :ph34r:

your coolant system is not related to your charging system.

13.5 is your alternator charging, maybe a little lower than what is liked but it is working :) what does your battery read with the engine off (and been off for a little while - 5 / 10mins).

G

13.5v wont charge the battery properly, simply not enough volts

you need 13.8 as a minimum for the battery to take a charge (and feeding it 13.5v for a long time wont do it any good either), ideally you want 14.1v for a 6 celled lead acid battery. Anything over 14.4 will damage the battery too, which might explain the problem if you were seeing 15-16v before the battery died.

It might just be that the alternator cant supply enough current at idle RPM's so try bringing the revs up to 2krpm and see if the voltage climbs to 14.1ish