Roof Rack flooring.

nickr

I've just picked up a Brownchurch rack for my 90.

I'd like to fit a flat floor in it. Can I have some recommedation on what products are available. Preferably something fairly light and weatherproof. Non-slip as well.

I guess marine ply is one option but I imagine there's probably something a bit more professional out there.

thanks

Nick.

Remember that a Brownchurch rack is heavy. Very heavy. I'd love to know what one weighs. :rolleyes:

I have some cheap exterior ply on mine. 5 or 6mm. I varnished it, not that you'd think so looking at it now. It's held on with cable ties.

Three trips to southen Africa and it's still in reasonable condition.

mike

Had marine ply on mine, with a rear door spare wheel carrier bolted through it to hold the spare. Great, but the door handles touched on corners. Not sure of the weight but I know it took four of us to swap it from my old red 90 to the grey one when I bought that, and it was ruddy heavy even with four - and without the spare on the rack. Or the bridge boards. Or the ground anchor....

75kg max roof weight they say in the book :lol::ph34r:

I wouldn't want to drive one on fast European roads with that much on the roof though.

Had marine ply on mine, with a rear door spare wheel carrier bolted through it to hold the spare. Great, but the door handles touched on corners. Not sure of the weight but I know it took four of us to swap it from my old red 90 to the grey one when I bought that, and it was ruddy heavy even with four - and without the spare on the rack. Or the bridge boards. Or the ground anchor....

75kg max roof weight they say in the book :lol::ph34r:

I wouldn't want to drive one on fast European roads with that much on the roof though.

That's why I recomend the 5mm ply.

I can't understand why some preparation companies insist on 18mm ply just to cover some bars. Maybe they think the rack isn't strong enough. :o

mike

That's why I recomend the 5mm ply.

I can't understand why some preparation companies insist on 18mm ply just to cover some bars. Maybe they think the rack isn't strong enough. :o

mike

What about similar stuff to waffle boards? light and strong sure seen yanks using plastic "chicken coop flooring" which is same stuff i think just a bit thinner

I know this is not the lightest answer but I have garden decking on my roof rack with good spaces between the planks (every other plank missing) so you can still lash things down easily. That way the kids can mess about up there without touching the roof, you don't have a massive wing effect lifting the roof off and it is all exterior treated and so needs no maintenance. Wickes decking fits the brownchurch perfectly.

Not light but strong!

Remember that a Brownchurch rack is heavy. Very heavy. I'd love to know what one weighs. :rolleyes:

Last time I had my rack off, I weighed it as I was curious too...

Came out at just about 35kg without the 4 rack to midline stay bars. Mine's also got CT spec rooflight brackets on the front which I guess add about a kilo or so.

I've fitted an 8x4 sheet of phenolic ply as boarding - that's been on there about 3 years now so will need replacing soon as the edges are starting to split and go green....

Mine's actually mounted on my roll cage, so there is little if any loading on the gutters. I have a pair of sandladders and a highlift jack up there as well, but the centre of gravity is still quite low owing to the tools and kit I carry in the car... :D

Matt

I reckon it would wreck the roof rack.

Really the only reason I see to board a rack is to stop small things falling through.

The boarding isn't taking any weight of any kind.

mikei

Twas to stop me falling through and make it safer to walk on top of the landy (old person)post-10430-1220994323.gif

Why would it wreck the roof rack ? It's lighter than plywood and would keep the heat out in the summer, it would also stop birds landing on it in summer as they would burn their little feet :D

The max roof weight for a Defender is 75kg.

Why do people insist in adding more weight to a rack ?

Buy a good rack. Frontrunner or Patriot. On that the Frontrunner there are slots to strap or bolt everything down.

All my ply does is stop stuff sliding about and stop my feet going through between the rails.

My rack was make for me. It is quite capable of carrying anything I put up there.

They ply stops the firewood falling through.

The ply doesn't and shouldn't need, on a good rack, to take any weight.

Now will somebody explain to me why anything other then a thin layer is required.

mike

On mine, because the wheel carrier was bolted through it and it needed to be strong enough not to break. Can't remember what it was but about 10mm I think, though it didn't cover the whole rack it was the rear half of a 90 rack, the front was just open.

The max roof weight for a Defender is 75kg.

Why do people insist in adding more weight to a rack ?

Buy a good rack. Frontrunner or Patriot. On that the Frontrunner there are slots to strap or bolt everything down.

All my ply does is stop stuff sliding about and stop my feet going through between the rails.

My rack was make for me. It is quite capable of carrying anything I put up there.

They ply stops the firewood falling through.

The ply doesn't and shouldn't need, on a good rack, to take any weight.

Now will somebody explain to me why anything other then a thin layer is required.

mike

my rack can't be too heavy as i have to be able to put it on and take it off on my own.

Twas to stop me falling through and make it safer to walk on top of the landy (old person)post-10430-1220994323.gif

Why would it wreck the roof rack ? It's lighter than plywood and would keep the heat out in the summer, it would also stop birds landing on it in summer as they would burn their little feet :D

I bet you're not as old as I am :P:blink:

mike

My parents has really thin alu chequer plate on their roof rack.

It's lightweight and good to walk on. The disadvantage that is wears things out does not really apply to them since they haven't got anything permanently mounted on it. It's bolted to the rack with U-bolts.

One thing that's really good with their solution is that they don't need to worry about the roof window being open or not if it starts to rain.

My Patriot rack has a thin aluminium chequer-plate floor, black powder coated, which is riveted on but it has rubber matting underneath the chequer-plate on each of the rack "planks". I have two 5ft waffle boards up there and my spare wheel full time, and occasionally; mountain bikes, roof bag and water tanks and anything I find that I want to take home!! :rolleyes: