AWDC - West Harptree Aftermath

JST

Unless the marshall is totally in the wrong then the competitor should just take it on the chin, and get on with the job at hand. no back chat necessary.

but if the infringement given to the competitor is incorrect for whatever reason then by all means tell them yourside of the story, or get them to contact the head marshall for further discussion together. But that will take time to do, so what would you do, take the 50 point penalty and go get another punch worth a possible 200 points (if you are the only person to get it) or waist time over 50 points and end up loosing more points because you are out of time.

Most marshalls are good at what they do in my opinion, they do a judgement call on the spot and thats that.

The only downside to any old person marshalling is that some do not know the rules that they are enforcing so things get a little confused.

Yep i understand that view but i would of hoped that by nature of the people picked to be marshalls that they have the self confidence to inform the competitor at the time.

There is no need for competitors to be abuse back and if they are they will soon find a lack of people interested in marshalling.

I am reviewing all the feedback with careful consideration.

Are you saying that you would welcome helmets despite your ANGRY smiley?

Neil, i/we will be wearing helmets from now on, i don't like them but feel they should be compulsary as the events/sections are getting more difficult and so increase the likelyhood of injury and the last thing we want in the sport is a fatality.

first off a big congrats to neil and co for arranging a wonderfull event.. my only minor concern is that it seems more geared towards the more experienced drivers with the big money motors... there seemed very little available for the standard/less experienced who will be the future of the sport when the top drivers move on to compete in other events...please nobody take this as an insult to the days of work involved in arranging such an event as its not meant to be. perhaps that particular event was more extreme than normal.

first off a big congrats to neil and co for arranging a wonderfull event.. my only minor concern is that it seems more geared towards the more experienced drivers with the big money motors... there seemed very little available for the standard/less experienced who will be the future of the sport when the top drivers move on to compete in other events...please nobody take this as an insult to the days of work involved in arranging such an event as its not meant to be. perhaps that particular event was more extreme than normal.

But you need to remember that the more experienced drivers where beginners at some point so if you are the less experienced driver then your own truck will evolve with money spent on it over the years and more experienced you become so really it goes full circle, and the events can be more extreme than west harptree, corwen was a interesting event,

Did you compete or spectate at weekend,

Carl.

Having been one of the many crews who appeared to have rolled at the weekend (but no photo's) I did a full 360 and landed on my wheels after the front cable snapped. Now the roll cage did its job very well and we got away with virtually no panel damage. However I was unlucky in that the centre consult came away from it's mountings and gave me a good wack in the side of the head, cutting my head open. Fortunately it’s only a flesh wound and I’ll live, but it could have been a lot worse. I will certainly be reviewing what goes into the cab for the next event. So yes I do think we should wear helmets (I wear one for my motorbike and other forms of motorsport) Fingers/arms and legs are a bit easier to fix than heads (OK I know most drivers have got there brains in their right foot!!)

However I would ask if that is going to be the case could we have some sort of agreement early on as to what type/kite mark is going to be acceptable for all events to save having to buy different helmets to different standards for different events

You dont need big money to still have fun at an AWDC event, the majority of the punches could be done with a fairly basic vehicle. If all depends on how quickly you want to do them.

Simon and I have talked about entering in a £50 MOT failer suzuki sj with an 8274 to see how many punches we could still get, and we would still do the hard ones, :P might take us a bit longer though. :lol:

At the risk of sounding big headed, in my opinion this is the premier off road challenge championship in the UK at this moment in time.

If you want to start off in any discipline in motorsport you find your own entry level based on either experience, finance or a combination of the two.

Our aim is to provide a competition that tests all who enter regardless of that level, so we do not deliberately set out to cater for those who are still finding their feet, or by the same token find that they have been overtaken by more advanced vehicle development or team skills.

If you are unsure whether you can either compete or have an enjoyable day out and accept that you are not competitive, then it is up to you to visit and view events beforehand to decide whether you want to spend/waste your money turning up.

I do not accept the argument that there should be some 'easy' punches that all can do as from my point of view it is a waste of time and energy to set them out.

Would you go to a speed event and expect a lap where the fastest drivers have to fit a speed limiter to give the rest of the field a chance?

If those who are standard/less experienced want to win pots then there are other competitions that they can do to gain the necessary experience before embarking on the Howlin' Wolf.

As Carl asks were you a competitor or spectator as the anonimity afforded by forums makes it very difficult to know who people are

However I would ask if that is going to be the case could we have some sort of agreement early on as to what type/kite mark is going to be acceptable for all events to save having to buy different helmets to different standards for different events

To clarify the situation regarding helmets.

If we enforce it as a regulation then you would be required to use helmets that meet the necessary standard as laid down by the MSA.

However, if we do not regulate and you CHOOSE to wear protective headgear then you can wear whatever you like whether it be caving, cycling, boarding helmets or a bobble hat!

If you are going to participate in a variety of events then obviously it makes sense to choose the helmet which meets the maximum required regulation as you can be sure it will exceed all the others.

We will make an announcement regarding helmets within the next couple of months - in plenty of time for next season.

it depends what you consider alot of money i suppose, Rogue Vogue has cost around £2,250, it broke £2k when Nick lashed out and bought a new winch for £300 or so. Although he did fabricate it all himself so you could add in the 50p costs involved there.......

now running!

on an aside we do events that try to cater for all!!!!

You dont need big money to still have fun at an AWDC event, the majority of the punches could be done with a fairly basic vehicle. If all depends on how quickly you want to do them.

Simon and I have talked about entering in a £50 MOT failer suzuki sj with an 8274 to see how many punches we could still get, and we would still do the hard ones, :P might take us a bit longer though. :lol:

infact a £50 suzuki mot failure may be more capable and almost certainly more reliable than my off roader, which will be appearing at tong and slindon.

(cue someone else on the podium!!!)

To clarify the situation regarding helmets.

If we enforce it as a regulation then you would be required to use helmets that meet the necessary standard as laid down by the MSA.

However, if we do not regulate and you CHOOSE to wear protective headgear then you can wear whatever you like whether it be caving, cycling, boarding helmets or a bobble hat!

If you are going to participate in a variety of events then obviously it makes sense to choose the helmet which meets the maximum required regulation as you can be sure it will exceed all the others.

We will make an announcement regarding helmets within the next couple of months - in plenty of time for next season.

Neil, we choose to wear helmets but they have to be MSA approved????????

Neil, we choose to wear helmets but they have to be MSA approved????????

...At the moment you can choose to wear any head gear you like, but if the Howlin Wolf goes to mandatory helmets it will be to the MSA spec one. Thus everyone has the same, which has been tested to conform to all codes, thus reducing costs and being as safe as possible.

FIRST AND FOREMOST I MUST APOLOGISE FOR MY OBSERVATION AND VOICEING MY MINOR CONCERNS IT CERTAINLY WASNT MEANT TO OFFEND ANYONE... I MUST ADMIT TO BEING A SPECTATOR WITH A VIEW TO BECOMING A POTENTIAL SPONSOR. AGAIN I MUST APOLOGISE I CERTAINLY WASNT HAVING A DIG AT THE AMOUNT OF MONEY SPENT ON ANYONES RIG OR THE WAY THE EVENT WAS ARRANGED/RUN . . BOTH GET MY UPMOST RESPECT...

I have not yet,, another 10 to go I reckon.

as for good looks Si,, surely that would be me - - young (yes I said young) and spritly like all winning off roaders should be.

:lol::lol::ph34r:

time to run now. :P

Changing the subject slightly i think i have just found and removed the last Hawthorne prickle from my body!

I have not yet,, another 10 to go I reckon.

as for good looks Si,, surely that would be me - - young (yes I said young) and spritly like all winning off roaders should be.

:lol::lol::ph34r:

time to run now. :P

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Pigster stop it your making my ribs ache

how long was your paper round :hysterical::hysterical:

No need to aplogise, I don't think anyone took offense - I certainly didn't :(

I felt a reply to your post was a good opportunity to clarify where we feel the events are targeted and explain to those who may be thinking of doing them in the future that they should not be regarded as an entry level or, if they are, not to expect any special treatment.

Now, about that sponsorship... ;)

FIRST AND FOREMOST I MUST APOLOGISE FOR MY OBSERVATION AND VOICEING MY MINOR CONCERNS IT CERTAINLY WASNT MEANT TO OFFEND ANYONE... I MUST ADMIT TO BEING A SPECTATOR WITH A VIEW TO BECOMING A POTENTIAL SPONSOR. AGAIN I MUST APOLOGISE I CERTAINLY WASNT HAVING A DIG AT THE AMOUNT OF MONEY SPENT ON ANYONES RIG OR THE WAY THE EVENT WAS ARRANGED/RUN . . BOTH GET MY UPMOST RESPECT...