Generator for Workshop

smo

I might be requiring power in a workshop with no power soon - what are my options for providing power to run compressor/small welder (150A) and other usual workshop gubbins??

Are diesel genny's best, what size do i need, are the portable ones on eBay any good???

If you are looking to do all this at once you will need a 7kva-10kva set. 3hp just about works on a 13amp plug (150amp welder). compressor again 3hp.

If you need lights and a kettle you may need more juice. :rolleyes:

silenced sets are worth considering if you don't want to upset the neighbours.

Have you thought about a road towed diesel compressor/welder/generator. This may fit your final bill better than buying seperate components.

Plenty about on ebay, dont buy the cheapest lombardini/lister older sets as they aren't silent.

Only disadvantage is that if it packs in you have lost all three.

Bear in mind most things are not pure in the way they consume power, an electric motor will take a big startup kick, many times more than it uses when it's running - especially if it has to start under load. There's a guideline which is something like to start a 1hp motor you need about 2-3hp worth of power, I'm sure an adult will be along in a minute. :unsure:

You can get some quite neat towable gennys, we used some ~10kVa ones recently that were pretty quiet, small, and light enough to manhandle about on rough ground with one pair of hands. They turn up used on eBlag quite regularly.

You could always try-before-you-buy and hire one locally for a few quid.

I have a 3kva silenced 'Kipor' generator which I use at shows. However, during power cuts, I've used it to run all kinds of stuff including my welder. It might not be able to drive the welder at full power - but in practice, I've only used it on full power once!

It's petrol, fairly economical and is of an 'inverter' design which spits out a true sine wave - so will run motors.

The Kipor generators come in red and yellow cases. The red ones spit out a 'modified sine wave' which will not run a motor happily. The yellow ones are very good.

The set never fails to start (it has a copy of a Honda engine inside which apparently takes standard Honda parts) and compared to most generator users - it has had a lot of use.

Si

We have a 7kva Lister TS2 trailer generator on the farm which I used to use in the garage years ago before we installed a 12kva dedicated generator, and the 7kva was enough to run the welder but not with much in reserve.

I would look for an ex MOD cast sale trailer generator, thats where ours came from and IIRC it was pretty cheap.

Probably bigger than you are looking for, but ex-utilities backup generateors can be had for sensible cash, and they have very little hours on them. Often they are diesel too, so you can run them on red...

We have a 20kVA 3phase one that came out of a telephone exchange, that we use to run our bus lifts, and the welder has never bothered it. As I say, bigger in all ways than what you are looking for, but may be a good direction to look...

hth

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
I might be requiring power in a workshop with no power soon - what are my options for providing power to run compressor/small welder (150A) and other usual workshop gubbins??

Are diesel genny's best, what size do i need, are the portable ones on eBay any good???

I have always been told when I asked about using a generator for welding, that it is not a good idea. I was advised by a number of people that the electrical spikes that comes with welding kills generators. So I never bought one.

Worth investigating before hand.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a little-used 7.5KVA 3-phase genny in an acoustic box that I'm considering selling... I bought it to run some large textile machinery (my business is the development of blast-mitigation and ballistic-protection textiles), but then found that it wouldn't work with the equipment's complex control systems... I thought I'd hang on to it as a back-up unit, but haven't needed it in over 3 years, so would rather have the space. I paid £750 for it, and would just like my money back - shout if it's of interest!

we have a diesel 10kva genny and a 6kva petrol the petrol generator although 4kva less produces a more constant power especially for welding and is a lot better when you strike arc than the diesel anyone else experienced this or is it just me, chris

I have always been told when I asked about using a generator for welding, that it is not a good idea. I was advised by a number of people that the electrical spikes that comes with welding kills generators. So I never bought one.

Worth investigating before hand.

The best generators are the old sort with brushes, there is some truth in the fact that generators don't like welders but it is the newer brushless alternators with an electronic AVR (automatic voltage regulator), the 20+ year old Lister HR2 brushed generator in the farm workshop is quite happy with welding though I guess they will be getting pretty thin on the ground these days!