UK•XTC

najw

South???

Your in the south :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

takes 6 hours to get to lincolnshire for me

Yup, devon is definately in the south :P

Likewise its 6 hours from me too and thats not really accounting for towing a trailer, traffic on the M5,m6, m42....

Well I'm guilty, I'm very keen to compete and the entry forms are on my desk but its just finding time to get te clubman license sorted that's holding me up. I'd best get on with it.

I think this event is just what the UK needs and I've heard so many people talking about wanting to compete in something along the lines of it. I'm amazed the entries aren't flying in. We really do need to support it!

Entry & cheque are in the post today...

well, that's two entries then! :P

Common guys... let's make this happen!

Chris Abel... I'd have thought this'd be right up your street! :)

Rob :ph34r:

Fully agree, too bad im in afghan country. Come on guys make this a go so i can atleast dream about the second round......... :blink:

No surprise really, look at all the talk about the French xtreme......... who's going now, just Kev and i, plus i think Zolly and Lee........ :rolleyes:

Maybe making the regs "secret" means people assume the worst, I'd shown an interest in the event but haven't had any further details maybe others are in the same boat.

Maybe making the regs "secret" means people assume the worst, I'd shown an interest in the event but haven't had any further details maybe others are in the same boat.

Good point....... i dont think people have any idea whats involved to get there cars up to spec, or a spec list to start from!

The regs aren't secret they are available to anyone who requests them.

Same with the Tech Regs which describe what is necessary to prepare the vehicle.,

As posted on this and other forums if you want a copy email me at challenge(at)awdc.co.uk

I would have entered but the car will not pass regs

probably why nobody else has entered

the regs are for comp safari cars not challenge trucks

I think if the regs could be tailered a bit there would be more enterants

Clearly the problem is with roll cages which on most challenge trucks have been designed to satisfy the needs of the team rather than regulations.

As this is a speed event there is no scope for compromise on the design of the cage, as with all speed events the cage must comply with MSA regs.

I am going to have to have a look at my rear chassis, to see if I can modify it comply to the regs... but as you say, it was built to suit my needs for challenges... not for safari...

I fear that the MSA regs on spaceframes are also going to render my new truck useless for speed events also... as they pretty much dictate the size and shape is must be in order to comply... thus not really letting the vehicles evolve in the way the US vehicles have...

Rob

We are also keen to see how this format unfolds, as we are to either build a car for XTC or Howling wolf for 2010.

As you mentioned Rob, this form of off road racing must be allowed to evolve along the lines of the "king of the hammers" in the states. While we all agree that for a speed event we need the MSA reg's.

However without support at the first event its likley to be difficult. As i am sure we are all nervious to spend money in producing a competative car souley for XTC, looking at the reg's, teams with certain cars could make minimum changes to be able to run in the 2009 XTC.

Having spoken with Neil about our intentions regarding XTC it was obvious that he is passionate about bringing this format to the UK under the AWDC and he understands the US scene, which is also gaing interest in Europe. It would be a loss then, if due to the MSA reg's and we competators can not build the type of vehicle we want to race, it failed. We must then find solutions with the help of Neil (AWDC)and the MSA.....

Nelson

Spider Designs Ltd.

My cage dosn't comply because the rear shocks are attached to the hoop which is attached to the cage :blink:

That doesn't normally pose a problem as long as they are braced, are you sure you are reading the regs correctly ? There's no reason not to have shock absorbers mounted to the cage in the regs.

Cages are a problem but there is a bigger issue with challenge vehicles due to the mainstream being out of the MSA "umbrella" for far too long so people simply aren't used to complying with regs. Having observed the scrutineering at the MT this weekend and some of the moaning from competitors it'll be an uphill struggle but in the end persevering will pay dividends.

I won't go into details but some of the vehicles presented to scrutineering were failing on some pretty basic stuff... steering joints not tightened up, batteries loose with metal covers above the terminals, fuel tanks with open vents, holes in the bulkhead between the passenger compartment and the engine bay. One vehicle took 4 hours work to get it up to a minimum standard.

On the whole, those that had competed regularly in properly scrutineered MSA events went through without a problem though so it's one of those things that you just have to get right once.

I'll send another email for the regs but probably won't enter unless I can get my cage through, any pre-scrutineering available ? If my cage can get through it might be worth putting in the effort to meet the other AWDC specific stuff.

Any vehicle which has entered an AWDC Challenge event with a clean ticket thus far won't have any problems until it comes to cages or helmets, I would suggest.

Pre-scrutineering will be available at the Howlin' Wolf round at Kirton on 5th April. That still gives you two weeks.

Based on the info I have available, the XTC WILL HAPPEN.