greenlane from hell (wiltshire)

mudmad

My suggestion is that the moderators put up a sticky giving guidance on when, and when not, the forum deems it appropriate to identify a lane precisely. Mudmad, in his tip to me, provided one option for drawing the distinguishing line.

You are right, and because of this thread - there will be a sticky post at the top of this particular forum, expalining what is, and what is not acceptable - posted by the Moderator - GBMud.

Apologies to those that feel they have been insulted/over-moderated, but we hope you understand our position in this.

Les.

That's 3 'lanes from hell' that I know about.

Really Les??

After I first saw this video, I tried looking it all up on t'internet, but could could only find this video & another reference to the same video.

Is there an 'official' LFH or is it just a term of endearment applied to any lane thats a tough one do you think??

Guest diesel_jim
,and that i was being a "mong" .

I only stated you "must have been driving like a mong" for managing to acquire £1000 worth of damage to your/the group of, vehicles.

I get peeved if i break off a mudflap! :lol:

Really Les??

After I first saw this video, I tried looking it all up on t'internet, but could could only find this video & another reference to the same video.

Is there an 'official' LFH or is it just a term of endearment applied to any lane thats a tough one do you think??

Only one REAL "Lane from Hell",,

In Wales,, as per the Video clip , done by Mark90 !!! and first :unsure: "discovered around about 2001,, its a walk in the park now !!!

Only one REAL "Lane from Hell",,

In Wales,, as per the Video clip , done by Mark90 !!! and first :unsure: "discovered around about 2001,, its a walk in the park now !!!

Driven down in about 2 minutes by one GBMUD once with not 1p worth of damage. ;);)

Cheers

Steve

Driven down in about 2 minutes by one GBMUD once with not 1p worth of damage. ;);)

I don't believe Chris has ever gone that long without an accident :lol:

Have driven it in a few vehicles but did pick up a bit of damage the first time I drove it (in Alf so a while back), knocked the plastic hub cap off and split it, had to put a cable tie round it to stop the wheel getting covered in oil.

Yes. I do not see that as a reason to encourage over use of a route which is clearly unsustainable. All that will happen is that the CC will TRO it and then nobody gets to use it.

I know that Wiltshire CC are very accepting of vehicular traffic at the moment but there will come a time when closure of a lane becomes easier then managing it and I do not want to feel that this forum is a part of such a change of direction.

If someone knows about a lane then fine, if they insist on driving it, let them. As you say, they have a legal right to. This forum is not only read by it's contributing members, if a location is posted anyone can see it, including those who would misuse and abuse rights of way which in turn will erode MY rights to use sustainable unsurfaced routes in future.

As I type there are 4 people viewing this thread. Me, a member I have not heard of and 2 guests.

Chris

Hear hear Chris, these are my thoughts too.

Mo

as it's actually identified by O.S., & it looks to be a UCR [unclassified road] I can't see it's a problem if driven.

DOUBLE STANDARDS on here i think ! , a ucr but no up to date user info so you dont know what its like so in fact you could be aproving a lane for people to visit that's as bad or worse than the lane in wiltshire , also maybe even a copy wright issue ! ?

DOUBLE STANDARDS on here i think ! , a ucr but no up to date user info so you dont know what its like so in fact you could be aproving a lane for people to visit that's as bad or worse than the lane in wiltshire , also maybe even a copy wright issue ! ?

What a load of rubbish - it bears no resemblance to your original post.

Les.

What a load of rubbish - it bears no resemblance to your original post.

Les.

Off course it does its giving the location of a lane , which is the same ! no matter how you phrase it , so if had given a copy of the map that would of been ok would it ?

>

>

Forum Charter

Forum values

This forum has been established to provide an independent and open place for discussing and sharing information and activities relating to Land Rovers and related subjects.

DONT MAKE ME LAUGH ! , all comments are subject to aproval by idiots

Well mudmad - you are on Mod approval for tonight - I need to sleep for a while.

Any posts you now make are invisible to anyone except the moderator of this forum and the Admistrators of the website. I'll read any posts you make over night at 3am when I get up. If any are in the same vein as those you have so far posted, then they will be binned. You are way out of order m8.

Les.

Well mudmad - you are on Mod approval for tonight - I need to sleep for a while.

Any posts you now make are invisible to anyone except the moderator of this forum and the Admistrators of the website. I'll read any posts you make over night at 3am when I get up. If any are in the same vein as those you have so far posted, then they will be binned. You are way out of order m8.

Les.

How am i out of order ? , its my opinion that there are double standards on here , i was told today that i could NOT give the location of a lane and then your so called moderator aproved a lane because it was provided by a map , which so far no one has given an account of . so in fact it could be the same or even worse than the one i gave info on

Guest diesel_jim
QUOTE (western @ Sep 25 2008, 11:14 PM)

as it's actually identified by O.S., & it looks to be a UCR [unclassified road] I can't see it's a problem if driven.

It's not double standards Mudmad....

the lane hasn't been "approved" by anyone, all Ralph stated quite rightly is that the print on the map (round dots) equates to a UCR, and generally UCR's between two farms like that one are used by farmers and are level.

Yes, in your defence, maybe the track should be investigated to see if it's a mud-bath, and if so then not shown on here, but in the forum's defence, Landroversforever never stated that it had 4 feet deep ruts, took ages to winch down,caused £1000 worth of damage nor showed a picture of a 90 sized pile of mud.

Like GB-Mud stated, it's the really messy lanes we're trying not to blatantly advertise as these are the ones that give "us" all the bad names and that the councils shut permanantly.

stating that "driving along the Ridgeway during the summer on the flat gravel track" isn't really going to suddenly attract the camel trophy now, is it?

I understand where you're coming from... I find it fairly frustrating as well, but it's common sense (maybe i'm gettin old.... 36 last week! :blink: )

As for the copyright issue... you can view OS maps freely online anyway, and MemoryMap (which is OS owned) is advertised for being used to freely swap and share map data.

DONT MAKE ME LAUGH ! , all comments are subject to aproval by idiots

bang out of order chap!

If that's your view of the forum admin, then who's the bigger idiot? them, or you for staying here? :rolleyes::P

I have some sympathy for Mudmad on this one and reckon that map extract should be removed as it really does stink of double standards. Does anyone actually know about the condition of Hells lane? Most of the ORPAs round here are in worse condition than the byways.

I think if we are honest the majority of us have at some point tried to drive a lane, known to be challenging, in inappropriate conditions, just for the fun of it. We may even have sustained some damage! The difference is that we have been around the scene long enough to know that posting such exploits on an open forum is tabu. No arguements. His mistake was not to know this and rather than have it pointed out to him in a mature way, a few people chose to rant off with a few provocative comments. Since then all his posts have been defensive and others have bated him further. Now someone posts an unknown lane with a challenging name that we know nothing about and thats OK? In my books this is double standards too. In fact it stinks....

Grow up the lot of you