37" Creepy Crawlers on a RRC

reggie

Well guys I said I'd post some pics with before & after shots, well here's some just after they arrived this morning.

I put them up against the Rangie to have a quick look at how big they are........& their big!

Now I've just got to get them fitted.......... :o

Then it all begins......... :blink:

post-3312-1223026296_thumb.jpg

post-3312-1223026310_thumb.jpg

post-3312-1223026323_thumb.jpg

post-3312-1223026384_thumb.jpg

The biggest problem with 37's (and larger) is lifting them on the bloody studs - nearly did my back in putting one of mine back on last night, couldnt get it lined up!

When putting Simex back on, I'd sometimes use a spade under the tyre. Saves the back and makes putting a heavy tyre & wheel combo back on easier.

Steve

It drives on the road fine with no rubbing or scuffing but I wouldn't take it offroad like that.

The only reason I haven't cut more is because I don't have the arches yet & I didn't want to cut too much off & then the arches don't cover where I've cut. I still haven't decided on which ones to buy yet.

As soon as I get some I'm sure a fair bit more metal will be removed & it should be fine in the sticky stuff.

I've even articulated it as a quick test to see & it doesn't look like I will have to take an awful lot more off when the arches get fitted.

I could probably get away with doing a few gentle lanes as it is but don't really want to take the risk of gashing the tyres.

• 3 weeks later...
I have spent enough and now you make me want bigger tires, damn you!!!!

Seriously though that looks awsome, something so right about the simple look of a Classic on f'ing great tyres

Sorry, it just had to be done though........... :P

• 1 year later...

Sorry to ressurect an old thread, but i was just looking through some gallery pictures and drolling over Reggie's truck so i felt the need to comment; LOVE IT!!! :D

Next time you head into Wales, stop in for a brew at mine so i can take some photos. :i-m_so_happy:

Some pics with the wheels fitted, the arches have been trimmed moderately so I can drive it but will need to be done again when I get some arches in a few weeks.

i woudnt drive it on the road without the arches on am sure u could get done for it from the boys in blue for the sharp edges its only what i have bein told what your thoughts ian :huh::huh:

i woudnt drive it on the road without the arches on am sure u could get done for it from the boys in blue for the sharp edges its only what i have bein told what your thoughts ian :huh::huh:

Not only that but the 3" of tread sticking out is another!

Marc.

Not only that but the 3" of tread sticking out is another!

Marc.

I fitted arches not long after those wheels went on in 2008 so I didn't have to drive it on the road for more than a few miles round the village with the tyres sticking out. See pics below.

post-3312-126252477897_thumb.jpgpost-3312-126252636709_thumb.jpgpost-3312-126252641714_thumb.jpgpost-3312-126252645688_thumb.jpg

I fitted arches not long after those wheels went on in 2008 so I didn't have to drive it on the road for more than a few miles round the village with the tyres sticking out. See pics below.

post-3312-126252477897_thumb.jpgpost-3312-126252636709_thumb.jpgpost-3312-126252641714_thumb.jpgpost-3312-126252645688_thumb.jpg

looks very tidy :):)

Really looks good... Have you done any changes on the axles like stronger half shafts? Also, as your rrc is a 93 V8 it should have cats (is this the correct short term for catalytic converters :ph34r: ) installed. So you have the "small" front drive shaft. Any problems with it?

That looks really smart and not over the top. I would love a set on my disco but being lifted 3" it would be rather top heavy. What do they handle like on the road at speed? Chris

Really looks good... Have you done any changes on the axles like stronger half shafts? Also, as your rrc is a 93 V8 it should have cats (is this the correct short term for catalytic converters :ph34r: ) installed. So you have the "small" front drive shaft. Any problems with it?

I haven't had any problems with it so far although it hasn't been driven much for the last 12 months. When I did use it I just took it easy as there was a lot of scare mongering that I would snap my drive train as soon as I went up a kerb........ :unsure: I was constantly paranoid but it proved to be fine just taking it slow & steady.

My Rangie has 180k on it & the drive train is tired & well worn so I expected something to have gone but it didn't, it's only a matter of time as though as it is old & the 37s won't help.

It is down to how you drive & lots of other factors, if you were using it for challenges & hard off roading then I'm guessing the standard drive train wouldn't last 5 Min's.

The suspension is a 2" lift with a 2" body lift & combined with the tyres does make it all quite tall. It's a far cry from what it was when I bought it standard & a totally different drive now. I's hard to say what another vehicle would be like with the same set up as like I said mine is tired & needs some TLC, that's the reason why I haven't been using it + the fact that I've had a baby girl. The bushes desperately need replacing so driving it isn't very nice as its all over the place, I want to get some poly bushes fitted before it goes back on the road & that should tighten things back up. I can then give a more accurate account of how it behaves on & off the road.

All in all I'm glad I done all the mods & wouldn't change it back under any circustances.

Lots more to do in the future with an endless list that keeps growing, I'm just going to replace stuff when it goes with the uprated gear like heavy duty shafts etc.