Gear stick rattle

Snagger

Ok, so we all know the SIII, and most incarnations of SII, have a rubber o-ring in the groove of the ball at the bottom end to stop the stgeel ball rattling against the walls of the steel "cups" on the end of each selector rod. The problem is that these o-rings, being plain neoprene rubber, tend to wear out quickly, and the use of grease or oil to reduce the abrasion of selecting gears causes the rubber to perish.

I have been trying to find alternatives. Polyurethane seems to be out because they don't make o-rings of that size as a standard - they'd need to be custom made, which would make them very expensive. PTFE has been suggested to me by a seal retailer, and they're getting back to me with a price for a minimum size order. Now, PTFE would have great longevity, but will it be to hard to prevent the stick from rattling? Apparently, it has some give in o-ring applications, but is much harder than rubber. Has anyone tried this successfully, or would anyone be interested in trying it if I have to make a small bulk order?

Does anyone know where you can buy these from !!!!

Cheers chris

You don't say which Series model you have.

I see two part numbers quoted, on a Series 2 CD,

540354 for 'early' type gear change lever.

FRC1387 for 'later' type gear change lever.

Needless to say, the levers are NOT marked early and late, but rather 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder, sub-sectioned into Right and Left hand drive.

Series 3 is just shown as FRC1387.

I don't know if my S2 box is early or late, in this context, but I see I made one up, 15mm ID, 2.5mm Cross Section.

I'll let you Google the part numbers. :-))

Well, the seal suppliers that I tried all said that the size needed wasn't available in polyurethane (the preferred option, and a possible opportunity for Polybush and the likes, I think), and PTFE o-rings would cost me £60+VAT for a minimum order of 100. I'll be sticking with standard rubber o-rings, then.

The size needed for a SIII is either 14x2.5mm or 16x2.5mm The 14mm (inside diameter) is a snug fit in the groove, while the 16mm is just loose enough to rotate freely whilst being totally secure. When I bought LR replacements in the past, they were 14mm, but this time I have gone for the slightly larger size from my o-ring kit (a few pounds from Halfords). With a small application of graphite grease, it should last reasonably well - I think it was the abrasion that killed all the others over the years.

• 10 years later...

My 2a stick rattled incessantly despite new oring (didn’t last long)

I ended up buying a pattern s3 gearstick for little over £10 as it was fitted with nylon bush on ball instead of oring. I bent the stick to s2a shape and cut the thread in the top to fit 2a knob - works perfectly with absolutely no rattle.

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/10/2019 at 5:22 PM, Anderzander said:

Did you ever sort this out Nick?

I stumbled across a gear stick with a large green plastic band, possibly the same as oneandtwo did.  It worked much better until the band finally failed, but I think it's reparable.  It doesn't rotate, so PU adhesive is going to be the fix.  I still think that PU o-rings for the more common type sticks would work well, though.