Oil burning heater

alan kemp

As much as I am used to working in a freezing workshop for the last 30 odd years, I really dont want to do all the extra hours needed to build the new car in the cold.

Just been round to a neighbours workshop and they have a sparkly new oil burner that uses old oil from motors, there is an abundance of free oil as garages have to pay to get rid of it. The heater is not stupid money but looks a bit attention hungry as it burns 3 ltrs per hour and needs manual filling, thats all once it is lit.

Any one got one, used one, know if they are any good blady blah..

I used to work in a garage that was heated by an waste oil burner. There was a 15 gallon tank next to the heater that pre-heated and pumped the oil into the main heater.

Outside there was a huge (200 gallon?) tank that we used to fill with oil from oil changes, this was used to fill the tank inside with workshop using an air powered pump.

The 15 gallon tank would heat the 3 bay workshop all day.

Different burning temps I think Fridge. Waste oil in a diesel heater causes a lot of smoke.....summat to do with the pre-heating that I mentioned above. You could of course use the waste oil as an additive :P:D

Neighbour has fired theirs up and there is absolutely no smoke whatsoever, fan sends out the heat, very impressed. The licence is about £130.00 if you bother, they will burn parrafin which you dont need a licence for apparently!!

Got any oil you want rid of??

I run a Thermobile 307 in my workshop. Runs off ANY oil including waste so when I service a car the old oil is poored straight into the heaters tank. Up to temp in about 10mins and clean burning - highly recommended. I believe they retail at about £1500.

Lee

Dare i say it - but check out your local Partco (or preferably Express Factors) as the new Mega Wise Buys leaflet for Novemver/December has waste oil heaters on offer - and you can pay weekly.

For a manual ignition 80,000 BTU heater, with 3l/hour consumption you are looking at £1049 plus vat (5 year lease at £5.51/week)

Blatant plugging i know - but they are damn good bits of kit. If you can strike a deal with your local garage to take the waste oil, then you are quids in.

we have a thermobile at work and its great it only smokes a bit to start before it warms up properly we burn it on all our waste oil. and we can use up to 40l a day in it on max power. its a god send when we use it. the parts are cheap as well for them

I was getting interested untill i saw the price!!! The BTU's would be somewhat overkill for me , my workshop's a little bigger than a double garage, does anyone know of a smaller one ?

When i was doing my apprenticeship we had a sallamander oil burner!!! bloomin dangerous thing that was, had my eyebrows off more than once!!!

Dare i say it - but check out your local Partco (or preferably Express Factors) as the new Mega Wise Buys leaflet for Novemver/December has waste oil heaters on offer - and you can pay weekly.

For a manual ignition 80,000 BTU heater, with 3l/hour consumption you are looking at £1049 plus vat (5 year lease at £5.51/week)

Blatant plugging i know - but they are damn good bits of kit. If you can strike a deal with your local garage to take the waste oil, then you are quids in.

Just placed an order for the very same heater from Mega wise through UniParts, a bit dearer though at £1299 + VAT but it free heat from now on :lol::lol::lol: You can get 6 months interest free credit if you want it. Mine should be here Monday.

Just placed an order for the very same heater from Mega wise through UniParts, a bit dearer though at £1299 + VAT but it free heat from now on You can get 6 months interest free credit if you want it. Mine should be here Monday

should have waited till monday when the new offer sheet starts....

Alan

i give my waste oil to my local tyre fitter for his heating , he has a 1000litre plastic tank outside (can get you one for £20 if your intrusted) , if you fitted that higher than the burners tank you could eassly open the valve and fill the burners tank in seconds without getting dirty , i know that the tyre guy has to turn people away with waste oli as he cant take as much as is offered to him

Alan

i give my waste oil to my local tyre fitter for his heating , he has a 1000litre plastic tank outside (can get you one for £20 if your intrusted) , if you fitted that higher than the burners tank you could eassly open the valve and fill the burners tank in seconds without getting dirty , i know that the tyre guy has to turn people away with waste oli as he cant take as much as is offered to him

Hi Dafydd, why do you say things twice, why do you say things twice :lol::lol: sorry couldnt resist...

Def interested in the tank, is it the IBC type. Need a few if you can get them.

I have about 400 gallons of waste oil to transfer into such a tank (tanks), need a pump to do this, anyone any suggestions. There are loads on tinternet but all well over £160.00.

How many tanks can you get?

Hi Dafydd, why do you say things twice, why do you say things twice :lol::lol: sorry couldnt resist...

dont get that ? maybe its just me ?

as for Tanks yes 1000 litre ibc tanks , all they will need is a clean as they have contained soy sauce (and stink )

how many are you after 2-3 should be no probs , would need collecteing from mine for that price .

I've got some waste oil down the side of mine and I think my father has some as well your more than welcome to it as last time I took it to marple they weren't to happy.

Ibc's on e-bay are cheap enough. I use one for rain water as I'm on a water meter and things like washing the car and watering the garden cost alot when you have one.

Alan I've got a hand pump if that'll do you for nor the type that fit's a 45 gallon drum.

as for Tanks yes 1000 litre ibc tanks , all they will need is a clean as they have contained soy sauce (and stink )

how many are you after 2-3 should be no probs , would need collecteing from mine for that price .

If you need any more IBCs Alan let me know,have got several at work that have had adblue in some and glue in the others,could also help you out with waste oil if you need any,got a 10000 litre tank outside with waste oil in(have to empty it every few month :blink: )

We have also been looking at an oil burner to replace our old kerosene combat heater,but the thermobile ones we looked at were a bit of a faf,so we are sticking with the old un till it dies even though it eats 2000 litres of kero every month at this time of year :o

Paul ;)

Alan

Remember to apply for permission and get the licence, !!! about £130 a year !!!

Loads of conditions including , having to service it once a year, and keep a log,, , which also has to name all the "approve" operators of the burner

We have looked into it on a few occasions , (as near 1000 lts a month to use) !! recently just last year,, after a council busy body came round snooping for oil burner fires,,

Crazy state,, :angry:

Your post was up twice, one has gone now..

Marsie, how much are your tanks, you are probably closer than Dafydd so would be a better option. Can wash them out no problem, would prefer non glue. I could do with 4.

The Mega wise buys offer is listed at £1399. If you buy from them, as for their best price and you shouold get £100 off that.

Barney, when I have the tanks installed, you are welcome to drop your oil here at Aqueduct Works, Marple. I still need a pump, any ideas?

ours is a cut up 47kg propane tank that burns logs, we trade welding on one of the farm contractors plant for seasoned Larch so its free heating :) (its seems larch spits too much to be sold for open fires but it doesnt matter in a closed burner)

we put a coil or 3/4" copper pipe in the top to feed radiators but found the burner chucks out so much heat there was no need to plumb them in, all up including the flue and butterfly valve the project came to about £8