North Off Road - Challenge Wings - A full 'Fitting Report'

Maybe it'll change when it's not in primer but I'm not sure about the "LR spectacles" effect. On others I've seen, the front skin disguises it well but it's a point of aesthetics anyway, it's built for functionality rather than beauty. I'm massively impressed with the level of quality and finish - do you want to do mine for me? ;)

so just the winch to set back a bit and the ends of the bumper to come off now?

:(

James, Your not wrong there :lol:

The approach angle would be fantastic, and yes I will be doing it, prob a new winch bumper from scratch would be simpler and quicker, plus I have a forumeer interested in the existing bumper. It will be next on the list, thats after I finish the wings and they have to be painted even after I have finished doing the remains to them.

That and I have other plans for the 90 as well, so more to come, and I need to try not to have it off the road for too long between bits either :(

Ho Hum

Nige

PS Turbocharger - Er..............Nope :P:lol:

Another half day at it, saw me suddenly see the horn on the bench <Ooops> so another bracket made, snorkel refitted with a few minor tweaks (chequerplate is higher than the std wing by a 1mm or so :(, then drill some holes down the sides for the backs of the wings, and some more rivnutting also made 2x brackets welded to the leading edage of the wing, as the bottom of the wing at the front where it meets the tubework seemed to be asking to be caught, another rivnut tickle of welding and wings done :)

post-22-1228756963_thumb.jpg post-22-1228757033_thumb.jpg post-22-1228757106_thumb.jpg

Then out today to buy some bits to finsih and some paint too, as and when I will get the chance time will tell, I will paint the tubework myself, get a mate to self etch and spray colur the sides and chequerplate...Bought a White mint 90 Truck Cab assembly today (90s going Truck Cab in 2009 :( ), so theres another job looming, .....poss after I have remade the front winch mounting <sigh> .....

post-22-1228757206_thumb.jpg

So, sort of just about nearly finished, couple of minor jobs to finish and then paint it all up. ....

Nige

Nige was in Challenger 4x4 yesterday, he is building a 90 with NOR tube etc.

Paul has fitted the lights as yours but put the front plate on with holes for the lights and colour coded as well.

Might be worth a thought as it will give even more protection especially for the side lights and indicators.

Nige was in Challenger 4x4 yesterday, he is building a 90 with NOR tube etc.

Paul has fitted the lights as yours but put the front plate on with holes for the lights and colour coded as well.

Might be worth a thought as it will give even more protection especially for the side lights and indicators.

Nige

From my Chat and e-mail traffic with VOSA "Clarity" of the indicators could be a problem he advised, even with the side indicator, it was something about at a certain angle of view as I have is OK, as you describe was not clear re VOSAs thoughs, with the sheild and then the lights on the outside that too was OK - - I was happy not to persue this as I had a "Yes" otherwise, and I am thinking of a couple of simple 8mm 10mm bars one curved top to bottom and one maybe side to side both "Removable maybe to do the same thing, but ta for the thought :)

Nige

A front side light or indicator must be visible from 15 degrees above or below and 80 degrees out to the side or 45 degrees when view across the front of the vehicle. From these angles you must be able to see at least 50% of the "apparent surface" of the lamp.

Provided nothing else was obstructing the view then the bars mentioned should be OK as long as you can still see the 50%.

Steve

Yippe do :unsure: ..........Take it all apart and then spray it up

Spraying is one thing - spraying with someone elses gun with a 1.8 nib

and also have trouble getting the workshop warm enough is another :blink:

I think this will have to be renamed 'Nigara Grey' vs 'Slate Grey', there not so much the

odd paint "Run" than several "waterfalls" :lol:

Matey took pity and took the side panels away, but all in all a coat of paint makes a huge difference :)

I am going to live with the chequer plate as self colour and see how it goes - painting it

will prob just mean it looks awfull later on when the boots walking on it make the silver show through

so we will see, .....done new revovery point too, ....so will be ready for SLRC on 28th Bash at Slab

post-22-1229267909_thumb.jpg

So, job just about done, few more things to sort and finish off ....but will do for the mo

So, 'Good points' and 'Bad points' on the NOR Wing Kit ?

Was the kit worth it ? - Yep, no doubt at all

Very well made, CDS Mandrel Bent and all fits as it should having seen what goes into these kits I think

you'd be hard pushed to make it for the money - and the time it saves is huge - and the bits FIT

You could fit a kit in a fraction of the time I took, - depends how neat a job you want and how fussy

your going to be - thats not anything negative on the NOR kit - quite the reverse - you could prob have

a kit shoved and and fitted in a weekend - its more around the 'extras' and 'brackets' rivnutting

contersinking drilling and tapping etc etc etc as I did that take the time - with so many model

variants its impossible for NOR to have them all as std

Bad Points ?

Give me a while,....... there must be something :lol: .....................................

Seriously in all my dealing with Shaun at NOR and having the kit I can honesty say he's "One of the good guys"

to buy and deal with - and most prob my Truck Cab cage will be coming from him next when I truck cab it - thats

after I build myself a new High Level Front Winch Bumper :blink::(

Nige

• 2 years later...

Hi mate and everyone else on this forum. Just wondering how you found the standard wings? A mate of a mate said to just go with the extreme north offroad ones and not the standard ones as the standard ones have a habbit of bening back up into the way of the wheel. Just wondering if you'd had a similar problem? Cheers Pete

I am still chuffed with thse, and have VOSA Apprioval that these fit construction & Use regulations (you MUST also have

the side repeaters on the outer wings) NMy disucssions with them were the extreme type were not, and would be difficult to get C&U

regulations, if my truck was ONLY used off road then I would go extreme, but as its MOT Taxed and legal I went for the stan dard one

Hope this helps

Nige

• 3 months later...

i know this is an old thread but heres a few pics of my NOR wings,i wanted to go with the extreme but at the time of fitting i had a scorpion racing bumper with goodwinch tds lowline winch so wouldnt have looked right,but now ive fitted a 8274 winch and winch tray and am now really wishing i'd gone with the extreme but after reading this thread i realise it wouldnt have been raoad legal,so im gonna get one of the d4x4 8274 bumpers and sell the winch tray and steering guard,when will it end :(

051uf.jpg002qaa.jpg001cqx.jpg