Wheel spacers

Paul64

I know you get what you pay for but there seems to be a huge price variation on 30mm wheel spacers. I have had quotes ranging from £140 to £260! My natural instinct tells me which to go for, but not so sure now after a conversation with Craddocks. Apparently they stocked the cheaper version which are apparently made in Japan, but said several were returned as some of the studs were popping out.

Any opinions on this or recommendations on makes or suppliers?

Thanks in advance

Paul,

A fellow forum member has been using Rakeway spacers. He's been using them for several months now without any of the nuts coming loose, a common problem on some other makes.

Mo

Hi Mo,

just found your comments on the subject back in March. I am still undecided on whether to buy new steels or go for spacers. I have two sets of tyres on Disco steels, AT's 7.50x16, which are no problem, but my MT's 265/75 sit far too close to the top of the spring retainer at the back. Full articulation causes serious rubbing. The Disco steels were cheap 2nd hand and very strong, so don't want to see them go but on the other hand I have to stop this rubbing without my wheels falling off! I see that paddocks sell the Rakeways, so will look into them. Anyone else have experience withe the Rakeway spacers?

Paul

disco steels are your problem as they have deep backspacing

Changing them for something like Wolf rims would be better. John, headhunter mentioned recently that AJS 4x4 had tubeless wolfs in for £25 a rim iirc.

Steve

Just spoken with AJS 4x4 and they have told me that the Wolf rim is the wrong size for 265/75, and the price for tubless wolfs are £40 + VAT. They have said I should use 7J modulars which sell at £35 + VAT.

Cheers,

Paul

I got my 30mm spacers from lasupertrux almost 3 years ago @ £80 never had a problem with them been used in anger plenty.... No signs of wear, spot on... Friend was keen on them so I said to say you were quoted £95 last time you called and they were out of stock.... He got em for £95 + courier.... ;)

I'm perfectly happy as is he... I'd give them a shot.... Unless anyone has bad stories about them...?

I got my 30mm spacers from lasupertrux almost 3 years ago @ £80 never had a problem with them been used in anger plenty.... No signs of wear, spot on... Friend was keen on them so I said to say you were quoted £95 last time you called and they were out of stock.... He got em for £95 + courier.... ;)

I'm perfectly happy as is he... I'd give them a shot.... Unless anyone has bad stories about them...?

Thanks for that. Unfortunately their prices are up too!

http://www.supertrux.com/acatalog/copy_of_Wheel_Spacers.html

5-165-1.50 wheel spacers will fit Defender 90, 110,Series 3, Range Rover Mk1, Discovery Mk1

30mm wheel spacers that bolt directly to the hub of your vehicle. You can then bolt your original wheel to the spacer.

CNC machined from Billet Alloy, and manufactured to ISO9000 quality assurance standards.

Our spacers are sold in sets of four.

Price Including Shipping: £193.88 (Including: VAT at 17.5%)

Cheers,

Paul

I am leaning toward a new set of rims for my MT's which are the problem with the rubbing on spring retainers. The AT's on Disco steels I only use for trips back and to from the UK. The conversation I had with Andy at AJS yesterday was interesting. He reckons that 7J modulars are rated at the same strength as wolf rims? I had it in my head that Disco steels and wolfs were the strongest and modulars were less so?

Anyway, I am pricing up some modulars at the moment which I will take back to Transylvania with me. My local tyre garage will fit an balance them for 6 RON per corner, about £1.30! :)

Cheers,

Paul

I have never seen a modular rim anything like as tough as a Wolf rim and, based on experience of 8 spokes and BFG MTs, I would not be keen to fit modulars again. It may be the case that modulars are rated for the same load as Wolfs but you only need to look at the thickmess/feel the weight to know which is tougher.

How about buying the Wolf rims (tubeless) with some 255/85 BFG MTs and selling the current MTs/Disco rims? That gets you a much stronger rim and taller tyres which increase ground clearance and offer a slight increase in gearing.

Chris

I have never seen a modular rim anything like as tough as a Wolf rim and, based on experience of 8 spokes and BFG MTs, I would not be keen to fit modulars again. It may be the case that modulars are rated for the same load as Wolfs but you only need to look at the thickmess/feel the weight to know which is tougher.

How about buying the Wolf rims (tubeless) with some 255/85 BFG MTs and selling the current MTs/Disco rims? That gets you a much stronger rim and taller tyres which increase ground clearance and offer a slight increase in gearing.

Chris

Hi Chris,

In retrospect I could have made several better choices, but unfortunately it is not easy to sell from a distance and there is little local market for such things. Bringing them back next time for a friend to sell would be an option though.

Keen pricing for me is important, but at the moment the deals often discussed have passed. I know what you mean regarding the difference between wolfs and modulars, but have you ever bent or broken a modular? At the moment AJS only sells tubed wolfs with tyres. He said there is little market for tubeless, which reflects in the price. He sells tubed wolf rims at £27.50 and can get in tubeless for £40.

I have bent the rims on 8-spokes before now. I am sure that those others who have damaged modular/8-spoke rims more recently will pipe up soon enough...

If you do buy Wolf rims, I would not recommend having tubes in tubeless tyres.

Chris

I've bent modulars a couple of times. One time in Wales Chris, GBMUD, bent it back with a hammer for me. Both times on rocks. I really bent one once beyond repair, but that doesn't count as it was from an Astra flying into the back of the 90 on road :rolleyes:

The real problem with modulars and BFG's is them letting in debris between tyre and rim. I used to have loads of slow punctures because of this and one time had three at once after a days off-roading. Since fitting the wolf to the BFG's I haven't had any.

Cheers

Steve

I've bent a couple of 8-spoke steel modular type rims, they are no way as strong as either Disco Steels (my rim of choice) or Wolf rims...

If and when I buy another defender I'll be going for either Wolf rims or carrying on with the Disco Steels (cheap and very strong)

I know you get what you pay for but there seems to be a huge price variation on 30mm wheel spacers. I have had quotes ranging from £140 to £260! My natural instinct tells me which to go for, but not so sure now after a conversation with Craddocks. Apparently they stocked the cheaper version which are apparently made in Japan, but said several were returned as some of the studs were popping out.

Any opinions on this or recommendations on makes or suppliers?

Thanks in advance

try rakeway good price and good service

paul

I suggest you try ebay. There are a couple of sets on there, not sure if they are tube type though.

I just called Craddocks to ask them and they want £50+VAT/wheel!

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I will have a look on ebay. Shame about Craddocks as they are only 20 miles away from where I am staying!

I've bent a couple of 8-spoke steel modular type rims, they are no way as strong as either Disco Steels (my rim of choice) or Wolf rims...

If and when I buy another defender I'll be going for either Wolf rims or carrying on with the Disco Steels (cheap and very strong)

So did you use Disco steels on your last Defender? If so did you use spacers?

try rakeway good price and good service

paul

Thanks,

Just had a look at the Rakeway site and their spacers retail at £215.00 inc VAT per set of 4. If I am paying that much then surely a new set of rims makes more sense?

Just had a look at the Rakeway site and their spacers retail at £215.00 inc VAT per set of 4. If I am paying that much then surely a new set of rims makes more sense?

This someone already said that.... Rims aren't expensive really, and it' one less thing to go wrong if you ask me.

Thanks Chris,

I will have a look on ebay. Shame about Craddocks as they are only 20 miles away from where I am staying!

So did you use Disco steels on your last Defender? If so did you use spacers?

Yes, but only with 235/85/16 tyres, and they didn't rub....

If you used 265/75/16 tyres I reckon they might catch?