Spots and Main Beam on a 1985 V8 90 query

Hi all

I will be wiring in a pair of spots to be there as and when I wnat them on main beam

My thought are that I have at the moment Dip and Main beam

My plans are to have

Dip and Main beam, but on main beam to have the option of either Main beam only, or Main beam plus spots on.

Having thought about this I thought the way to do this was to wire up the main feed to the spots through a relay, using the relay feed wire from the feed to the main beam, but to have this wire to the spots relay feed wired through a switch ie On / Off

To opperate the spots I would have to power the relat wire by switching on the Spots switch, then when I selected main beam the spots would then come off, and dip when the main beamed dipped, with the Spots relay feed switched off I would just have dip main, the main power to the spots would be seperate cables from the power side of the relays.

So my questions are

• Is this the best way to do it ?
  • what other ways are there ?
  • If this is a decent route does anyone know where the relay feed wire for main beam is and what the colur iof is is so I can tie into it ?

Ta Muchly

Nige

I've just done this on mine, with a pair of Hella 500 driving lights

FWIW I took the 'main beam feed' (to use the terminology above) by tapping the wire (BLUE/WHITE) to the main beam indicator lamp on the console. This avoids having to run a wire back from the actual highbeam lamps. Dropped that down to a switch mounted in the panel beside the hazard / fog, then ran the switched feed to a relay behind the centre dash panel (bear in mind mine's a mil truck with the centre mounted rotary light switch). There is a brown (+12) direct from the main fuse box there to which I plugged a fused line to the relay:

post-4308-1226599020_thumb.jpg

This avoids having to run a wire right to the battery (there is also a spare - black - ground there for the other side of the relay coil) which keeps everything nice and neat.

I then ran the relay output wire (the big blue one) down and through the main bulkhead plug alongside the rest of the loom, inside the inner wing, and out the corner of the grill where I split it to the lamps.

I've put the dash back together now but let me know if you want me to explain better / snap more pics.